*** Sky TV Cancellation & Negotiation Thread ***

Associate
Weird few days. We cancelled on Wednesday, next day had a 50% off offer for our entire package on the TV so took that for the TV only, saying we still wanted to cancel the phone and broadband - our broadbands been sketchy lately, keeps dropping out. They've now fixed the broadband and have offered to pay our line rental for the year if we stay with them, so less than half price on everything for a year, without us having to even push. When we'd phoned up previously asking for some improvement on price, they wouldn't offer a thing.

Caporegime
Many are just calling Sky's bluff. Is it any wonder they will allow cancellations to happen as many will then call before the 31 days is up and ask to stay.

Soldato
Well it seems pretty much everybody gets an instant 50% off offer when they give 31 days notice, so it would be crazy not to do it.
I'm sure there are still millions of people paying silly amounts of money for their Sky packages, because they don't know any better. I know I did for several years.

Associate
what's the other options when cancelling sky. Do people move over to the Andriod boxes/fire sticks streaming ? I'm thinking of cancelling sky, But I'll keep my fiber with them. As BT is more expensive I think.

Soldato
what's the other options when cancelling sky. Do people move over to the Andriod boxes/fire sticks streaming ? I'm thinking of cancelling sky, But I'll keep my fiber with them. As BT is more expensive I think.

It always pays the switch in the short term :)
For example if you just switched your phone and BB to BT for the 12 month contract they'll pay you for moving and give you BB for free. So all your paying is line rental really.

Once that's up switch again back to sky

Soldato

We have NowTV, Netflix, Amazon. If you have fibre there are quite a few alternatives for tv.

Man of Honour

Many of my friends have Sky (paying full price) and I'm not sure why. The majority have excellent broadband connections and they're still going to the trouble of finding upcoming shows to record instead of watching instantly on catch-up.

I have Sky purely for the sports but would replace it tomorrow for a NowTV box if I didn't watch live games.

Soldato
How do I get the 50% off deal I have given my notice to leave and when i go to my sky it just says "your exclusive offer to stay with sky" chat with a sky adviser now. No mention of a 50% off deal

Soldato
Just joined Sky with a half price for a year deal. The Sky box feels very dated compared to Virgins TiVo but it is a lot quicker....

I installed a 2tb drive so have loads of space. Sky wanted £300 for a 2TB box.....

Soldato
It feels more dated? Eh? The user interface is years ahead of virgins effort. Add sky go and sky app and you're laughing.

As for the 2tb box, anyone who pays full price is crazy. Mine cost £49

Soldato
It feels more dated? Eh? The user interface is years ahead of virgins effort. Add sky go and sky app and you're laughing.

As for the 2tb box, anyone who pays full price is crazy. Mine cost £49

It doesnt tell you whats new or give you options to record new episodes only.

The series link seems to record the same episodes more than once.

It gives very limited info about what you have recorded.

You cannot go back on the guide.

All the catchup has to be downloaded.

It looks more modern and is quicker in operation but it is lacking in functions that the TiVo box has. But for the price it will do the job.

Have yet to try the apps but heard they are good.

Sky would not give me a 2tb box for anything less as I had a half price deal.

Last edited:
Soldato
I don't understand how you're managing to make it record more than one of the same episode, we have no problems with it in that respect. Must be user error :p

I also don't understand what you mean about having to download catch up? Isn't that what we do whenever we catch up?

What I do like about sky is it learns what you like and auto records stuff you might not have scheduled or might not have considered but relates to stuff you regularly do schedule.

I really wouldn't consider it dated though, the UI is completely geared to the user for TV and keeping it simple. Tivo was clunky and frustrating.

I highly recommend the apps. I like that I can tap into the planner when out and set my box to record. Sky go is great on my phone. It isn't HD yet but sooon surely?

Last edited:
Soldato
No idea but it recorded the same episode twice in two series links ?

Virgin TiVo you just click on what you want in the guide and it gives you the option to watch if available. Its all in the guide if that makes sense you can also go back to find things you have missed.

I like Sky and tbh I won't use it much but having both running at the moment I do miss quite a few bits about virgin.

The biggest is it not displaying which episodes are new or repeats. On Virgin it says "New" if its a new episode. It also gives you limited info on recordings in the planner. I downloaded inbetweeners and just had 10 episodes all called "Inbetweeners" having the series and episode number in the info would be good.

The engineer said the new Sky boxes coming next month will have all the features of TiVo and a lot more. He said they have not added a lot of the features to the older boxes but might when the new ones are out.

Last edited:
Soldato
Ooh yeah the NEW thing would be handy come to think of it. However, the planner does say VIEWED if you've watched it already. I think you maybe need a little more time with the UI, you might find you're missing a few things.

Soldato
More than likely im just using the guide app on ipad and it's fantastic. I can set it to record from that which is a lot better to use.

The box is a lot quicker than Virgin TiVo it's pretty much instant which is nice.

V F

V F

Soldato
The engineer said the new Sky boxes coming next month will have all the features of TiVo and a lot more. He said they have not added a lot of the features to the older boxes but might when the new ones are out.

It wont be cheap or like the deals currently since it'll be their premium product.

Soldato
Many of my friends have Sky (paying full price) and I'm not sure why. The majority have excellent broadband connections and they're still going to the trouble of finding upcoming shows to record instead of watching instantly on catch-up.

I have Sky purely for the sports but would replace it tomorrow for a NowTV box if I didn't watch live games.

Why are the live games a problem? Nowtv does both catchup and live.

V F

V F

Soldato
Football is so rubbish on Sky now. You hardly see any of the big teams unless you sign up to BT Sports. It is always the smaller clubs that is on.

Back
Top Bottom