IPS - Bad viewing angles?

Soldato
I have just got an Acer XF270HU.

My first IPS panel.

VERY disappointed.

When viewed from the left at an angle, the display goes very bright, like you expect from a TN panel. From the right side, not so noticeable.

My 8 year old current TNs had better angles.

What defect would cause this?

Thanks.

EDIT:

It seems as though this is related to viewing the panel from above the seated position.

The TN does not feature this as much.

Last edited:
Soldato
I didnt know ya could get bad viewing angles on an IPS, i can keep turning my asus until i cant even see the screen any more, the image stays the same except for getting thinner.

Soldato
Depends on how you use your desk and the size of it, some people are moving around their desk a lot or even have standing desks, if ya just sat in one place then you wont get funny angles but if your moving around a lot when your using your PC then you notice it a lot more, just something as simple as standing up can mess up the colours on a TN panel.

Associate
I had similar experience on my 27" Acer 4K monitor. When you viewed it from above it went incredibly grainy/hazy. Ended up ditching it.

If you're going to get an IPS screen, make sure it's an AHVA, it's similar tech to Samsung's PLS.

Soldato
OP
I had similar experience on my 27" Acer 4K monitor. When you viewed it from above it went incredibly grainy/hazy. Ended up ditching it.

If you're going to get an IPS screen, make sure it's an AHVA, it's similar tech to Samsung's PLS.

It is an AHVA panel which makes me wonder if is a fault or simply "by design".

This is my first IPS, first premium monitor and I am disappointed :( maybe I expected too much?

I would rather gain the additional response rate and get a TN and save a bit of cash.

Soldato
OP
Can you get us a pic or a vid? Sounds very unusual.

Sure.

From the front:

Copy%252520of%2525202016-01-18%25252014.34.03.jpg

From the Side:

Copy%252520of%2525202016-01-18%25252014.34.36.jpg

From the front:

Copy%252520of%2525202016-01-18%25252014.26.35.jpg

From the side:

Copy%252520of%2525202016-01-18%25252014.27.05.jpg

Associate
@Gimpymoo:

Would you mind taking similar angle shots with your TN? I have VERY hard time believing that a generic TN panel would do anywhere near as good. Not even the modern ones, and especially not a 8 year old one.

To me, the shots look kind of normal, considering the camera is probably emphasizing the situation. I base this notion on the fact that on the first image, the internet browser's tool bar is overexposured from the front view, as well.
(edit: Actually, on both front shots, the background is completely dark, while the side shots clearly show details on the background, which even further substantiates the fact that the side shots are highly overexposured.)
And just to make sure: you do know that all IPS panels will have at least SOME glow, right? You can't get rid of it completely, because of the way IPS is designed.

And by the way, with TN panels the image doesn't only go bright (/faded). There is no "glow" as such, like with IPS panels. TN actually inverts the colors at wider angles. You can try this for comparison:
http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/viewing_angle.php
With IPS, the colors will indeed lose saturation on wider angles, but they're still the "right" color. With TN panels, the colors distort into their negatives.

And that got me to thinking:
What's the model number of the TN monitor you were referring to? Just to make sure it's not actually an IPS or VA panel, or that it doesn't use some sort of A-TW polarization (which are fairly rare and apparently expensive)...

Last edited:
Associate
Unfortunately, the overexposured background on the side shots doesn't support this notion. Like said, there is some amount of glow in all IPS panels, you can't get rid of it completely. Also bear in mind that even if your monitor is a "premium" monitor, it's apparently still the cheapest IPS 1440p 144Hz Freesync 27" monitor on the market. When you buy the cheapest, you can't expect the quality of the competitors. In this case, the severity of the IPS glow.

But in any case, if the image really is so faded, then the retailer you bought it from should see it, as well. Which means it should be safe to return it. But bear in mind, the retailers (or manufacturers, for that matter) deal with these sort of issues frequently, so they have the experience and will most probably by default assume camera overexposure, and will mandate manual testing before issuing a refund/exchange. And if they test it and they disagree with the gravity of the situation, you'll have to pay for the shipping back and forth, in addition to a potential handling fees.

Therefore, I would still recommend taking the TN comparison shots, to have a better comparison point of view. Also, the model number of your TN monitor should also help us confirm whether it's more premium than you thought it was.

Additionally, please make sure that your new monitor is XF270HU, not XG270HU. The XG-variant would indeed be a TN monitor. Although, if it were the TN, I would be very surprised, considering there is no visible color invertion in your shots.

Back
Top Bottom