Good Cheap Server - HP Proliant Microserver 4 BAY - OWNERS THREAD

Associate
Missing VMDK Files

Can anyone tell me how to recreate the vmware hard drive link vmdk files again please, for some reason I had to reset vmware and have restored the virtual machines but for some reasons the hard drive link vmdk files have been deleted, have tried recreating them in putty but the hard drives no longer appear.

Associate
Well, 4 years 7 months 10 days later (and near enough being constantly on from that point!), my N36L's PSU decided to go pop. Ended up having to bung an small ITX power supply in there and do some splicing of molex connectors to get it back again!

Has anyone gone to the trouble of replacing the PSU with an 'official' or otherwise and found anything that's reasonably priced? I've not scoured the interwebz very diligently at this point but they're looking to be £45+ which is putting it squarely in the buying a new gen 8 territory realistically.

Associate
[RB];29008124 said:
Well, 4 years 7 months 10 days later (and near enough being constantly on from that point!), my N36L's PSU decided to go pop. Ended up having to bung an small ITX power supply in there and do some splicing of molex connectors to get it back again!

Has anyone gone to the trouble of replacing the PSU with an 'official' or otherwise and found anything that's reasonably priced? I've not scoured the interwebz very diligently at this point but they're looking to be £45+ which is putting it squarely in the buying a new gen 8 territory realistically.

At £109.99 that they are now, I don't blame the temptation. Wonder if you could sell the parts for the difference?

Soldato
Anyone had any luck with the ESata port on the back of the N54L ?
Just got a 4 bay DAS and connected it using the ESata and its not picking anything up.

USB works fine though.

Wondering if I need to pick up a seperate ESata card to get this working.

Soldato
Anyone had any luck with the ESata port on the back of the N54L ?
Just got a 4 bay DAS and connected it using the ESata and its not picking anything up.

USB works fine though.

Wondering if I need to pick up a seperate ESata card to get this working.

Have you got the modded BIOS installed?

With that installed I used to have a 5 bay das connected to mine.

Soldato
Have you got the modded BIOS installed?

With that installed I used to have a 5 bay das connected to mine.

think I have. Just restarted the box with the DAS connected and on. Its picked up one of the drives now but not the other ummmm

GDL

GDL

Associate
Anyone on here looked at putting more drives into the chassis?

I've got 4 in the main bays and then 3 inside the case itself...

Both my Gen8s have 4 drives in the bay and 5 SSD's in the top. (one in the SATA port, and 4 off the P410)

Soldato
think I have. Just restarted the box with the DAS connected and on. Its picked up one of the drives now but not the other ummmm

Running the official BIOS and no problems with eSATA, except obviously if I turn of my HDD dock I'll have to restart the server for windows to be able to see it. No big deal for me, sometimes I just leave it connected via USB.

Soldato

Doesn't sound like the modded BIOS. The default BIOS allows a single drive to be connected to the eSATA port. The modded BIOS allows it to do port replication and therefore multiple drives via the one port.

Soldato
Both my Gen8s have 4 drives in the bay and 5 SSD's in the top. (one in the SATA port, and 4 off the P410)

Running the P222/512 here, just picked up some brackets while here in the states, means I can stick 4 2.5mm drives next to the PSU, need to look at getting more connectors as I have 2x2.5mm SSD's under the ODD, and a 2.5mm SSHD behind them, will move them all to the bracket.

Need to look at the new SKU's Heatsink and if I can get one to cool my 1260L but cant find any stock :/

Soldato
Running the P222/512 here, just picked up some brackets while here in the states, means I can stick 4 2.5mm drives next to the PSU, need to look at getting more connectors as I have 2x2.5mm SSD's under the ODD, and a 2.5mm SSHD behind them, will move them all to the bracket.

Need to look at the new SKU's Heatsink and if I can get one to cool my 1260L but cant find any stock :/

I've got the Schoondoggy brackets as well. Only running the two additional drives though.

Soldato
Quick question: Noticed in the Gen8 specs is says the maximum internal storage is 12GB (4 x 3TB). Is this true?

I was looking at upgrading to the Gen8 sometime this year and throw in 4 x 6TB (24TB).

Probably only says that because that was the max drive size at the time, I have 3x4tb, 1x6tb, 1x500Gb and 2x256Gb in mine...

Back
Top Bottom