Internal USB 2.0 splitter

Associate
Does such a thing exist?

I have a mITX board with a single internal USB 2 header. I've got a NZXT Hue+ on there right now but plan to buy a Grid+ soon too, which also needs a port.

Any solutions out there to have both devices on the single header?

Thanks

Associate
If you have space inside you could try using a USB hub - though you would probably need some way of running the power lead in too!?

Associate
OP
Not got a lot of space unfortunately, I've already got far too much equipment in a very small case!

NZXT have one option, but it seems a little over the top for what I need. I can't find a USB 2 splitter on OCUK, only 3.

Perhaps I'm a few years too late!

Soldato
Each USB2 header on any motherboard I've ever had actually compromises two USB headers in one port. The pinouts show this (such as this pic http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=126860&d=1373673138 ).

If the HUE+ and Grid+ each only use one side of the USB plug it's in, you could potentially get the connectors from the Grid+ (say) out of the plastic block connector, and then put them into the unused side of the HUE+'s connector. That way you could have them both connected from the same USB header on the motherboard.

If the motherboard USB header is only 4 or 5 pins rather then the full 9, or if either device uses both sides of the connector, this obviously wouldn't work but thought it was worth a mention in case it does all match up.

Associate
OP
Each USB2 header on any motherboard I've ever had actually compromises two USB headers in one port. The pinouts show this (such as this pic http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=126860&d=1373673138 ).

If the HUE+ and Grid+ each only use one side of the USB plug it's in, you could potentially get the connectors from the Grid+ (say) out of the plastic block connector, and then put them into the unused side of the HUE+'s connector. That way you could have them both connected from the same USB header on the motherboard.

If the motherboard USB header is only 4 or 5 pins rather then the full 9, or if either device uses both sides of the connector, this obviously wouldn't work but thought it was worth a mention in case it does all match up.

You sir, are a genius! It's only using 4 of the pinss, I'll have to re-pin it and it'll work fine.

I've tried searching for the above, loads of options if I lived in or was happy to import from the USA, but so long as the Grid+ has only 4 wires, I'm sorted.

Thanks gents!

Last edited:
Soldato
You'll have to let us know how you get on. Theoretically, this will work and I genuinely see no reason why it wouldn't, but I haven't tried it myself so would be very interested to hear if you're successful (or from others who have done it before?).

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom