Good Cheap Server - HP Proliant Microserver 4 BAY - OWNERS THREAD

Permabanned
Quick question: Noticed in the Gen8 specs is says the maximum internal storage is 12GB (4 x 3TB). Is this true?

I was looking at upgrading to the Gen8 sometime this year and throw in 4 x 6TB (24TB).

No, it's not true.

I have 4x6TB in one and 4x4TB in the other... no problems at all.

I'd guess they only rated it to 3TB max as that's all they've tested it with.

Disk protocol support for larger than 2TB is pretty much irrelevant... if it supports a 3TB drive... it will also support the new 10TB drives :)

Soldato
Probably only says that because that was the max drive size at the time, I have 3x4tb, 1x6tb, 1x500Gb and 2x256Gb in mine...

Nice! How do you have 7 drives in it?
I have 6 in mine, and have no idea how you'd physically fit and also wire up an extra drive, but if it's possible I'm interested.

Soldato
Like others, I'm having trouble tracking down supply of the mythical high wattage heatsink. Somewhere I have the direct email of one of HPE UK's tech people who I helped out a while back with their Gen8 (that was amusing) so will try him tomorrow.

Soldato
Nice! How do you have 7 drives in it?
I have 6 in mine, and have no idea how you'd physically fit and also wire up an extra drive, but if it's possible I'm interested.

I have 4 in the normal 3.5" bays connected to a P222 then an SDM that can take 4 2.5" drives connected to the onboard b120..

Associate
These have had a serious price hike! Anyone got any ideas why? They've been going down and down and are around double the price they were when they came out..

Permabanned
Haha! Yes, whoops! I must've had GB on the brain after searching for DDR4. :D

:D

These have had a serious price hike! Anyone got any ideas why? They've been going down and down and are around double the price they were when they came out..

They look to be normal price to me... about £360

The price running with the cashback offer was a reduced price to clear stock... looks like HP have temporarily ended the promotional period, so the price has gone back up to normal.

Associate
:D

They look to be normal price to me... about £360

The price running with the cashback offer was a reduced price to clear stock... looks like HP have temporarily ended the promotional period, so the price has gone back up to normal.

They've been sub £200 over a year, I bought one in March last year at 179.99 plus £35 cashback and they went down and down to be £110 after cashback. Seems to be a high jump after being down so low for so long. If I had know it was going to jump I'd have bought a second that's for sure!

Soldato
eh?

SDM?

P222?

pics!:p

P222 is the approved hardware RAID card - although a P420 works as well. SDM is probably the SchoonDoggy Mount:

IMG_20150623_081636.jpg

Permabanned
They've been sub £200 over a year, I bought one in March last year at 179.99 plus £35 cashback and they went down and down to be £110 after cashback. Seems to be a high jump after being down so low for so long. If I had know it was going to jump I'd have bought a second that's for sure!

It went up to this price for one month last year, while the cashback offer was on a break... I remember as it was at the time when I was thinking about a 3rd to add to my collection.

The price at the minute is the "normal" price... irrespective of how long the discount has been available. I know that might sound silly... but it's true.

This happens once in a while... by Feb or March, they'll be discounted again and the cashback will re-appear.

Associate
It went up to this price for one month last year, while the cashback offer was on a break... I remember as it was at the time when I was thinking about a 3rd to add to my collection.

The price at the minute is the "normal" price... irrespective of how long the discount has been available. I know that might sound silly... but it's true.

This happens once in a while... by Feb or March, they'll be discounted again and the cashback will re-appear.

I see. I thought they were cheap, but then thought maybe they'd go back up to closer to 200-250 at some point.

If that's the price then it's the price, but I will wait out then and hope for a drop

Deleted member 138126

D

Deleted member 138126

Like others, I'm having trouble tracking down supply of the mythical high wattage heatsink. Somewhere I have the direct email of one of HPE UK's tech people who I helped out a while back with their Gen8 (that was amusing) so will try him tomorrow.
I think it is just that: a myth (a mistake on the HP spares site).

Back
Top Bottom