Good earplugs?

Man of Honour
I have a major problem.

At the beginning of December I had an ear operation called a Stapedectomy and I now have full hearing but I also think it's been exaggerated.
For years I was led to believe that at low levels I was totally deaf but at high concert levels it let the sound through normally like a noise gate - not true.
Last night I did the first gig with my band and sound checking the drums it sounded like John Bonham through a 100,000 watt PA, it was so loud I was turning to the Landlord to ask if it was OK.
I got on the stage to a full audience, we hit the first song and within a minute I had to stop the band before my head exploded, so I grabbed an earplug from my guitarist (only one because I have an in ear monitor in my left) and was able to get through the gig.
Every now and then I'd loosen the earplug but the volume was unbearable and I couldn't believe an audience could sit in a room listening to that volume.

ANYWAY, because I had this earplug in my right ear the sound on stage was a horrible muffle so is there an earplug that quietens the sound but let's the tone through? If not I may have to quit and I've been continually gigging for 45 years.

Soldato
You can get digital headphones that do that I think. We have something similar for on the firing range. Headphones with little microphones that muffle the rifle shots but allow voice to be heard clearly. Would this be suitable?

Caporegime
I use moulded earplugs. They actually are made with a tiny hole right the way through.

Certainly not as quiet or muffled as regular foam plugs, plus a million times more comfortable.

Associate
I just bought a pair of these from my local Boots.

Being a light sleeper and with the head of my bed against what seems to be my neighbours' living room wall I needed something.
I can hear them talking quite clearly when I'm laying in bed and it's not that they're being loud, just normal conversation.
I have been using cotton wool but it's not exactly great so I'm hoping these do the job a bit better!

Man of Honour
Earpeace HD

Hopefully these will cure my problem

earpeacehd.jpg

Soldato
Ask at the chemists they'll get you some they're not expensive, just make sure they're foam and not wax. And warm them in your hands for a bit before putting them in your ear to make them a bit more flexible. :)

FTM

FTM

Soldato
as with most things though, you may have to try several sets to find ones you are comfy with

everybody has different ears and ear canals

I find the laser lites are to small for me and dont give a good seal so are no use, the conical style ones fit much better for me...I use the howard leight max and they do a superb job but I am gonna try the 3m earsoft ones as well

they are only a few quid for 20 so you dont lose much experimenting!

its also about fitting them properly..so many people just jame them in when really you need to straighten up the ear canal a bit first, pop them in and then let it fit as it expands

Caporegime
Just bought some cheapo Baratec 25db ear defenders from Amazon, for the purpose of reducing the volume from the TV. Sadly, I don't have control over the volume, and mum point blank refuses to wear hearing aids.

Even with the volume near to speaker distortion levels she can't hear voices.

I'm hoping 25db will save my own hearing, and maybe still allow me to hear the phone, knocking on the door, etc (I'm currently the only one who can hear these things, and if I deafen myself to them nobody will be able to rouse either of us :p)

Not sure how comfortable they're going to be for prolonged use. Better favourite this thread :p

Man of Honour
Just bought some cheapo Baratec 25db ear defenders from Amazon, for the purpose of reducing the volume from the TV. Sadly, I don't have control over the volume, and mum point blank refuses to wear hearing aids.

Even with the volume near to speaker distortion levels she can't hear voices.

I'm hoping 25db will save my own hearing, and maybe still allow me to hear the phone, knocking on the door, etc (I'm currently the only one who can hear these things, and if I deafen myself to them nobody will be able to rouse either of us :p)

Not sure how comfortable they're going to be for prolonged use. Better favourite this thread :p

Do yourself a favour and get some like I bought above.
They let the high frequencies through so everything isn't muffled.
I used them at my Mothers yesterday who also has the TV on 100.

Soldato
Another nod to ear soft fx, started using them 5 years ago when my daughter was born for the nights I wasn't on duty, they become so comfortable and you get used to the silence so much so we still use them now and I use them when I sleep alone, you can get big 200 boxes for about 35 quid.

Back
Top Bottom