Two SSDs?

RJB

RJB

Associate
Hello all,

Just purchased a 250GB Samsung EVO 850 - currently running Windows on a 60GB OCZ Agility.

Planning on doing a clean install with Win 10 - would you recommend keeping just the OS on the OCZ and having games, apps etc on the Samsung or vice versa?

Thanks,

Soldato
I'ld put the os on the larger ssd, that way there is no real need to mess around with telling the os to save various things onto the larger drive to avoid the smaller os ssd getting super full and experiencing some slow down.

Soldato
I would keep the OS on the 60GB drive and use the evo for storage.

60GB for storage for games is not very much these days as some can easily use that much like GTA 5, COD advance warfare, farcry 4 etc

I have the same ssd, one for os and 1 for storage, how much free space is on the os ssd?

Associate
I'm with ED209, I like to keep my O/S volume small as it makes imaging/re-imaging simpler. I also think it's best to store data separately, just my 2p.

Associate
Another way of looking at this is how ol is the 60gb drive? If it is near its expected TBW (TeraBytes Written) life expectancy or outside of warranty you could see dropping one last major write cycle on to it for games as a way of turning it in to a kind of games come archive drive.

This is what I have done with my 128GB M4 after getting a new SSD.

If you have a blu-ray burner though, 60gb isn't many disks to image as an optical backup if that's your preferred backup medium.

Soldato
60GB for storage for games is not very much these days as some can easily use that much like GTA 5, COD advance warfare, farcry 4 etc

There will be all the space on the large drive to use too.

I'm with ED209, I like to keep my O/S volume small as it makes imaging/re-imaging simpler. I also think it's best to store data separately, just my 2p.

Can still keep a small OS install on the larger drive, simply partition.

Associate
Depends on your use of windows. I generally keep the OS restricted to a 60GB partition, with applications and games installed to other partitions.

But if you tend to install and save everything to the C:\ then use the 250GB for the OS.

RJB

RJB

Associate
OP
Thanks for the input guys,

The 60GB drive is now 5 years old and the warranty is long gone. I've spent a lot of that time juggling files between that and my HDD, as it seems to fill up despite installing everything to the latter. Perhaps just installing the OS on the new drive will be the easiest thing to do...

Back
Top Bottom