Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Associate
Just today?
Can I ask how long it took to get this speed?
Think I saw the message that 200Mbs was available at end of last week ago and clicked on the "order upgrade" button then - so its been 3 or 4 days - I just hadn't got round to checking the speed until today (as I'd not been on a PC with wired network - there's no point on checking speed on my laptop when the wifi would throttle the speed)

Soldato
Think I saw the message that 200Mbs was available at end of last week ago and clicked on the "order upgrade" button then - so its been 3 or 4 days - I just hadn't got round to checking the speed until today (as I'd not been on a PC with wired network - there's no point on checking speed on my laptop when the wifi would throttle the speed)

Ok bit of a discovery....

Decided to connect to my laptop just to discount any possibility its my PC.

The frikkin laptop tests at 160Mbit!!!!

So its my frikkin PC!

I have no clue what the hell is going on with my rig. It has a killer E2200 Gigabit LAN so I don't understand why the hell it would throttle the speed.

Would anyone have any ideas here?

Soldato
Yes, make sure you're using the latest drivers.

Yep, using latest drivers but still the same :( Let me reboot.

EDIT:

Tearing my hair out, tried 3 different cables. Same.. Always seems to limit down to around 92MBps.

EDIT2:

YES GOT IT WORKING :)

Managed to grab some alternate drivers.

Cant believe Ive been on 92Mbit when the real thing that was limiting me was these deufunct drivers!
Now I'm experiencing download speeds previously of 10.55MB/s up to 18.7MB/s!

EDIT3:

Loving this new 150Mbit :)

Last edited:
Permabanned
Was paying £63.28 for medium TV, 100mb, large phone

Now paying £36.99 guaranteed for 18 months for medium TV, 50mb, weekend phone (which I guess is a small) and a new Tivo box.

Was tempted to go over to BT which was £30.49 a month for 38mb, tv and phone but with £140 cashback - £66 activation.

Not worth the hassle moving in the end and 50mb bb is enough for me. Additional £4 a month for 100mb

Soldato
3.1 isn't just faster 3.0 though. Getting back to 10:1 ratio is very likely when it's finally implemented.

The previous implementation of DOCSIS 3.0 could do 108mbit up, Virgin chose to roll with 12mbit, the revised spec is capable of 150mbit up, again Virgin decided to choose headline download speeds because it beleives that the market is still driven by headline speeds (and it is). 3.1 is capable of 10G/1G at present, by the time it's adopted it could well be more than that as we saw with 3.0. VM is and always has been a closed platform, even with Liberty Global at the helm now content distribution and opening up the platform hasn't happened, they also seem to be holding back on 4K as the whole thing has stagnated since TIVO, i'd look to the US to see where that's going, also I don't see them being in a hurry to do 10:1, but i'd like to be wrong.

The BT side of things will see G.Fast bring 300ish/50 to the rest of us initially with the option of 500mbit down and is slated to start roll out late this year or early next year - one of the trial's is just down the road from me. We'll see G.Fast along with FTTdp to bring it in range of the home, once it's at a dp within 350m then FTTP becomes more realistic, but I agree unless you have a lot of money and/or live in a FoD area that's a decade away.

Associate
Finally got my upgrade too:
5015803013.png

Currently on:
XL TV
Talk Weekends
200MB

66.99 per month

Permabanned
The previous implementation of DOCSIS 3.0 could do 108mbit up, Virgin chose to roll with 12mbit, the revised spec is capable of 150mbit up, again Virgin decided to choose headline download speeds because it beleives that the market is still driven by headline speeds (and it is). 3.1 is capable of 10G/1G at present, by the time it's adopted it could well be more than that as we saw with 3.0. VM is and always has been a closed platform, even with Liberty Global at the helm now content distribution and opening up the platform hasn't happened, they also seem to be holding back on 4K as the whole thing has stagnated since TIVO, i'd look to the US to see where that's going, also I don't see them being in a hurry to do 10:1, but i'd like to be wrong.

The BT side of things will see G.Fast bring 300ish/50 to the rest of us initially with the option of 500mbit down and is slated to start roll out late this year or early next year - one of the trial's is just down the road from me. We'll see G.Fast along with FTTdp to bring it in range of the home, once it's at a dp within 350m then FTTP becomes more realistic, but I agree unless you have a lot of money and/or live in a FoD area that's a decade away.
You are so right; the state of the upload on VM is just pitiful. Even if it goes to 10:1 (I won't hold my breath) it is still a pale reflection of other EU countries.

Associate
Hi guys. I wonder if anybody has anyour experience on getting out of a vm contract early? I have massive Internet congestion in my area, anything over 10mb on my 200mb line after bout 16:00 is a real blessing.

I have registered countless complaints over the 8 months I've been with them to be told it would be sorted firstly in September, then November, then January 18th and now the middle of March.

I've had enough and want to move back to sky.

Man of Honour
Hi guys. I wonder if anybody has anyour experience on getting out of a vm contract early? I have massive Internet congestion in my area, anything over 10mb on my 200mb line after bout 16:00 is a real blessing.

I have registered countless complaints over the 8 months I've been with them to be told it would be sorted firstly in September, then November, then January 18th and now the middle of March.

I've had enough and want to move back to sky.

I got out of my contract early in 2012 or so. I emailed the CEO to complain about congestion. A complaints handler got in touch with me and over the course of a week or so we went through options. They allowed me to cancel the broadband part of my contract without penalty, but couldn't do that for the TV and phone since there wasn't an issue. They did however give me discount on it. The whole process took about 4 weeks from memory. I'm pretty sure I posted about it all in here so have a search through my posts in this thread.

Associate
Thanks for that. I spent a good while on the phone to them this morning, I now have £120 credit on my account until the new date that they have promised to fix it (20th march).

If i am still experiencing the same problem, I can cancel my broadband. However must keep my tv and phone line. I am happy to keep the tv, but I obviously need a new phone line to go with bt or sky fibre so the virgin one will be of no use to me!

RJC

RJC

Don
Phoned up today and managed to £9 off my broadband and phone line :)

Slight downside is I am in a 12 month contract.

Should get the 70mb upgrade next month.

Soldato
Just out of interest, do people's VM speeds carry over to the xbox one network? On a wired computer I get constant speeds like http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=29029420&postcount=12165

However, my wired xbox one, a couple of feet away from my PC, never downloads these huge updates any faster than ~70 MB/s.

I queried this with VM numerous times and they've said the xbox one network always reports slower speeds.

Just seems really weird.

Back
Top Bottom