Anyone Using an Asus DSL-AC68U

Associate
Hi, Regarding G.INP & some UK ISP's issue

i have some infos from Asus
Users with Sky UK / Plusnet / Automatic Ip, should work G.INP enabled but needs to update with latest current official (at time writing ...378_9212)
http://www.asus.com/uk/Networking/DSLAC68U/HelpDesk_Download/
or beta ...378_9215 (link may needs few refreshes)
https://www.asuswebstorage.com/navigate/s/767C859D6F204A98926AC47C092D9C274

Setup via QIS,
then go to Advanced Settings > Administration > DSL Setting, set G.INP (G.998.4) to Enable. Should work fine, if no please disable G.INP and send us a feedback, we will look into it ASAP.

Last edited:
Soldato
Associate
Hi all,

Switched to BT and due to receive my modem sometime next week.

As I believe I'll be on DLM for first few days anyway I plan to use the BT as modem only and ASUS the router as I quite like the QoS and network management tools.

It's been a while since I've done this so I would appreciate some advice please.

What I'm planning to do is turn DHCP off on the BT modem and give it a static IP. I plan to do this by plugging laptop into modem via Ethernet.

I then plan to plug the BT modem into Asus's WAN port and then ensure I reserve the IP for BT modem (looks like this can only be done after the device is plugged in). How do I configure the WAN mode? Do I setup a new ADSL PVC using the IPoA option?

Am I correct in saying that I should be able to get internet after Asus reboot and I should also be able to log into BT modem via static IP from any device?

Last edited:
Associate
I'm on Sky and every time I enable G.INP I lose internet and can't connect any sites. The strange thing is the DSL log shows I'm connected. It also shows FastPath for both down and upstream. When I disable G.INP it connects to the internet again and I can browse but I lost FastPath on the downstream.

I'm on the latest firmware 3.0.0.4.378_9212. Any ideas please?

Soldato
I'm on Sky and every time I enable G.INP I lose internet and can't connect any sites. The strange thing is the DSL log shows I'm connected. It also shows FastPath for both down and upstream. When I disable G.INP it connects to the internet again and I can browse but I lost FastPath on the downstream.

Try the 9215 beta as posted about 4 posts above from Babis3g

Associate
Try the 9215 beta as posted about 4 posts above from Babis3g

Have a look here
Hi, Regarding G.INP & some UK ISP's issue

i have some infos from Asus
Users with Sky UK / Plusnet / Automatic Ip, should work G.INP enabled but needs to update with latest current official (at time writing ...378_9212)
http://www.asus.com/uk/Networking/DSLAC68U/HelpDesk_Download/
or beta ...378_9215 (link may needs few refreshes)
https://www.asuswebstorage.com/navigate/s/767C859D6F204A98926AC47C092D9C274

Setup via QIS (quick start wizard),
then go to Advanced Settings > Administration > DSL Setting, set G.INP (G.998.4) to Enable. Should work fine, if no please disable G.INP and send us a feedback, we will look into it ASAP.

With official or new beta
set up via quick start wizard again then go to Advanced Settings > Administration > DSL Setting, set G.INP (G.998.4) to Enable. Should work fine, if no please disable G.INP and send us a feedback, we will look into it ASAP.

if you still have issue go at administration>feedback and let them know is not working

Associate
Cheers all!

I've upgraded to the latest beta firmware but still can't set G.INP. Even though it shows DSL is up I get a DHCP issues with internet status. I've logged a bug report with Asus.

Jeff

Soldato
Currently got 80mb Plusnet via the Openreach modem and a N66u with merlin, looking to upgrade to ac. Are the fibre modems or all in one box solutions viable now? When I looked into getting rid of the Openreach modem a while back the general consensus was that the inbuilt modems in the DSL routers were a bit flaky?

Soldato
Currently got 80mb Plusnet via the Openreach modem and a N66u with merlin, looking to upgrade to ac. Are the fibre modems or all in one box solutions viable now? When I looked into getting rid of the Openreach modem a while back the general consensus was that the inbuilt modems in the DSL routers were a bit flaky?

Advice is still very much the same. A two box set-up may take up a tiny bit more space and 5-7w of power/an extra plug socket, but it works and gives the option of a wider range of decent routers/third party firmware options. One box options do exist and work well enough, but as this thread shows Asus (although finally making some progress) are a long way behind Billion/TP Link/Netgear etc.

Soldato
Update on my Asus DSL-AC68U, working great with no disconnects on my Plusnet ADSL line.

I'll say if you use quick setup on the Asus it'll default to PPPoE and LLC(even with latest official firmware)rather then PPPoA and VCMUX.

Mine I set to Plusnet recommended PPPoA and VCMux, to be honest on mine works both ways with no issues.
I believe the newer BT exchanges(21CN) can handle either.

So it may be worth checking if you get issues on yours etc.

I'm really impressed with the stability to be honest and mine is not even plugged into the master socket (thinking of moving it down to master socket for more speed and off my phone extension) once I've cabled a mains extension socket to the hallway where the master socket is.

Last edited:
Associate
Hi all,

I would appreciate some assistance please. Got my BT Home Hub 4 today and first connection I got just over 8Mbps down which is great! However the speeds goes down slightly every time I reboot HH4...

However I can't get it to work with the ASUS DSL-AC68U... I've tried Dual WAN option but with DHCP off on HH4 is won't connect at all. With DHCP on there's plenty of IP conflicts. The Dual Wan connects but I cannot get internet. It resolves Google's IP on ping but it just times out.

Any ideas?

Last edited:
Soldato
Firstly rebooting during the training period is not ideal, leave it alone or you'll find your line speed drops because it's perceived that your line is unstable.

From memory (i've never used one thankfully) the HH4 didn't offer modem only mode, you can probably get round this via DMZ but i'd personally replace it with an HG612 (unlocked it will support ADSL/2+ as well as VDSL) and then use the AC68U.

Also based on the above posts it would appear the DSL-AC68U may finally have got a fix for some of the issues people experienced.

Associate
Firstly rebooting during the training period is not ideal, leave it alone or you'll find your line speed drops because it's perceived that your line is unstable.

From memory (i've never used one thankfully) the HH4 didn't offer modem only mode, you can probably get round this via DMZ but i'd personally replace it with an HG612 (unlocked it will support ADSL/2+ as well as VDSL) and then use the AC68U.

Also based on the above posts it would appear the DSL-AC68U may finally have got a fix for some of the issues people experienced.

You are right! I've just checked after work and although it's been stable since yesterday the downstream dropped fro 8 to 5.6 :(

Will it go up again or am I stuck with low speeds? Shame as it's obvious my line is capable of 8MBps...

Associate
Assuming nothing else changes you should eventually get back to normal speed. I'm well out of the loop with the DSL-AC68U now, but if the latest firmware is "OK" then your speeds should creep back up (maybe not as quick as they dropped).

But as has been noted through this thread, a router+modem solution has the advantage of router reboots having no impact on the adsl/vdsl connection since the modem is still "up".

Sounds like progress is being made at least - but interesting that (as far as I know) Asus have not released any new DSL- variants since this one (68U) - seems like they have smelled the coffee.

Last edited:
Associate
Assuming nothing else changes you should eventually get back to normal speed. I'm well out of the loop with the DSL-AC68U now, but if the latest firmware is "OK" then your speeds should creep back up (maybe not as quick as they dropped).

But as has been noted through this thread, a router+modem solution has the advantage of router reboots having no impact on the adsl/vdsl connection since the modem is still "up".

Sounds like progress is being made at least - but interesting that (as far as I know) Asus have not released any new DSL- variants since this one (68U) - seems like they have smelled the coffee.

Thanks. My plan is to use HH4 as modem only and ASUS for everything else. Shame there's no bridge mode on HH4. ASUS 66u is great but shame the modem is very unstable.

Fingers crossed speeds will go up again :( Can speeds change even though I'm not disconnected?

Soldato
You are right! I've just checked after work and although it's been stable since yesterday the downstream dropped fro 8 to 5.6 :(

Will it go up again or am I stuck with low speeds? Shame as it's obvious my line is capable of 8MBps...

It should take three days at least, mine dropped due to faulty Sky micro filter(replaced with Billion and XF1-E filter) but went back up after it was stable for three days.

Always best to leave it for awhile before messing with settings and rebooting etc , otherwise DLM(dynamic line management) might think you have a disconnect due to unstable line etc, you can have so many disconnects/reboots etc then DLM kicks in and drops line speed for awhile.

Next week I'm going to move my Asus dsl-ac68u off the phone extension(yes still rock stable :) ) to the master socket and get more speed out of it, have a BT VDSL faceplate as well to install on the master socket next week.

I always find Asus products solid on reliability and excellent firmware support, Netgear reliability has gone downhill in my books, gone through two in three months.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom