Road Cycling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Powertap on my local FB page for £250.

Powertap SL+/Mavic Open Pro Wheel - Rim replaced 12 months ago good condition, bearings a little rough but measures power fine.

Last edited:
Soldato
Afternoon all,

Can anyone suggest some good ~30min turbo trainer workouts? Cheers

GCN have posted up a few turbo sessions that look quite good. I don't own one myself or have tried them however, but GCN are normally pretty decent/my go to cycling tips.

Plus the videos have some great songs in the background. :D

Had some discounts for sportpursuit when you spend so much.

SP-JY-40 - £40 off £200
SP-JY-15 - £15 off £100
SP-JY-10 - £10 off £75

Thanks, will use them... can see my spending £160 now. :p

Soldato
Afternoon all,

Can anyone suggest some good ~30min turbo trainer workouts? Cheers

Look on the GCN youtube channel for some good workouts, although you're probably better looking at 45 min as that's more of the standard when starting out... Hard to encompass a warm-up & warm-down in 30 min! Using TR/Zwift you can organise the workouts by time to choose. It all depends on what you are specifically trying to train! Intervals/sprints/Climbing/Vo2/Lactate/SS can all be done within that time frame providing you split your training into specific 'tasks' for each session... Not that many training sessions are multiple use!

Well..that was some wind.

Going home, average power 240W, average speed 16.5mph.
https://www.strava.com/activities/478816914
Coming back, average power 234W, average speed 19.8mph.
https://www.strava.com/activities/478844650

Ouch! You didn't get blown off in traffic this time? *tongue in cheek smiley*

Had some discounts for sportpursuit when you spend so much.

SP-JY-40 - £40 off £200
SP-JY-15 - £15 off £100
SP-JY-10 - £10 off £75

Good deals if they actually sold things like groupsets and tyres but most of the time they sell clothing and accessories, which can usually be found cheaper elsewhere (factoring in delivery & returns). Some non cycling stuff they're pretty good on though... Not that I need another pair of Timberlands. Or do I...? :o

Associate
Thanks for the suggestions for the turbo training, I don't have a specific cycling goal in mind at the moment just general fitness as I find running too boring.

Didn't actually cycle at all last year so I'm hoping this will get me started again!

Soldato
I've had a good run with a decent pair of Continental bib shorts which have been brilliant over the past year or so, but the pad is well past its best so on the hunt for a new pair. Where should i be looking, i'm thinking around £50-60. Anyone got any suggestions?
Cheers
Rob

Soldato
Thanks for the suggestions for the turbo training, I don't have a specific cycling goal in mind at the moment just general fitness as I find running too boring.

Didn't actually cycle at all last year so I'm hoping this will get me started again!

If you're after a challenge and don't want too much investment into equipment/training yet then there are 'Sufferfest' videos you can view free as part of a Strava Premium subscription. Can be viewed on tablet or laptop/PC. If you like more of that thing then Sufferfest themselves do a subscription and purchased downloadable videos.

If you are prepared to invest some time and money into training (ANT+ sensors/USB & monthly sub) then TrainerRoad and Zwift are currently the favourites. Trainerroad can give you very complex training, with a huge number of workouts and plans. Zwift is more multipurpose as you are controlling a virtual avatar around an online landscape with other riders, there are workouts and some plans (but not the quantity you get with TR) but it is more multipurpose.

I've done both/all and if you just want to 'ride' I would start with YouTube videos and maybe a free month of Strava Premium to get access to some Sufferfest videos. For Youtube look for GCN - they have guided spin sessions, intensive hill climbs along with some fairly spectacular footage of popular climbs. RCUK (Roadcycling UK) too.

I've had a good run with a decent pair of Continental bib shorts which have been brilliant over the past year or so, but the pad is well past its best so on the hunt for a new pair. Where should i be looking, i'm thinking around £50-60. Anyone got any suggestions?
Cheers
Rob

Check back the last page or couple for my recommendations around that price bracket (reponse to ThaReaper).

Soldato
Check back the last page or couple for my recommendations around that price bracket (reponse to ThaReaper).

That's spot on cheers Roady, those Gore ones look ideal.

And if you use promo code GBJAN5 you get another fiver off, sorted! Thanks again.

Rob :)

Last edited:
Soldato
I've never really seen a point in paying for turbo/indoors training sessions. Just seems rather pointless to me.

Bang some tunes on, do some intervals, 1 min full gas, 1 min recovery, repeat, mix it up a bit with half hour interval sessions or 1 and a half hour varying resistance pedalling. Monitor your heart rate and push yourself.

Job done.

Soldato
I'm considering my options for a new front light. I've always used a SolarStorm X2 for my night time excursions but despite me rarely coming across traffic on my night jaunts I'm after something a bit more road focussed.

Now I've been reading a lot of comments on going for a light with a proper beam like they use over in Germany land with many people saying the best place to get one from is a German supplier. Now this is where my daft question comes in... if they are designed to cast a proper beam pattern like a car, are they setup for riding on the right hand side? Or is the beam focussed but in a straight line rather than the L (or backwards L of a left hand drive) shaped beam that a car puts out?

Thanks and sorry for the probably completely daft question :p

uv

uv

Soldato
Thanks and sorry for the probably completely daft question :p

German lights are generally central and don't output to one side - they have an evenly horizontal beam. It's more that the beam is focused in a better pattern - more light right in front of you, widening out, and the top of the refractor brings the light back down onto the road so it doesn't dazzle drivers (and puts more of the light onto the tarmac). No need to worry about LHD/RHD :)

Soldato
Beware a Powertap "bearing" gifts. :p Generally they're very reliable but service costs are generally on the steep side (some LBS may be willing to do the bearings however). The issue is the torque tube is known to break and a repair is typically more than the cost of a secondhand wheelset. It's not a regular occurrence by any means but something to be aware of.

It is possible to DIY bearing replacement. I did mine about 9 months ago using a guide online. You don't have to recalibrate or send the hub back to saris, that's just a money maker for them. Bearings were less than 30 quid plus a fiver for new batteries.

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=59746

My creaking solved! Chain or chainring bolts were the cause, nice and quiet this morning :) changed the BB anyway but it was a touch rough and had a tiny bit of surface rust where the seals meet.

Last edited:
Soldato
German lights are generally central and don't output to one side - they have an evenly horizontal beam. It's more that the beam is focused in a better pattern - more light right in front of you, widening out, and the top of the refractor brings the light back down onto the road so it doesn't dazzle drivers (and puts more of the light onto the tarmac). No need to worry about LHD/RHD :)

Excellent, thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom