Hows everyone's Jan diet going? :p

Caporegime
Another 5:2 fast day for me today. Decided to spice up my lunch and had a stick of celery instead of one of my carrots. Pretty hungry now, home time in about an hour and then the temptation starts...

Soldato
Diet is not a verb. It's just what you eat. If you view a diet as a temporary fix then you'll just resort to your old ways and get fat again.

Eat better, be more active. Everything in moderation. It's not rocket science.

Soldato
I know right all those fat marathon runners I mean who are they kidding :p

My point was there are too many people who believe the only way to lose body fat is by doing cardio, it can help but diet & resistance training is key to losing body fat.

Overweight subjects were assigned to three groups: diet-only, diet plus aerobics, diet plus aerobics plus weights. The diet group lost 14.6 pounds of fat in 12 weeks. The aerobic group lost only one more pound (15.6 pounds) than the diet group (training was three times a week starting at 30 minutes and progressing to 50 minutes over the 12 weeks).

The weight training group lost 21.1 pounds of fat (44% and 35% more than diet and aerobic only groups respectively). Basically, the addition of aerobic training didn’t result in any real world significant fat loss over dieting alone.

Link, regardless of the fact it's from a female fitness book, the base facts remain the same: https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=wMYgtUKCao4C&pg=PA51&#v=onepage&q&f=false

If cardio works and you like it, do it, I do it but not for weight loss. I do it for general health and because it clears my head taking a run.

Soldato
Not really a January diet, or a diet at all (the whole change what you eat thing, always the plan but I've rarely stuck with it :(), but I've been on/eating low-carb starting on the 2nd december, that day was 90g total carbs, dropped steadily over a week to <50g which was/is my target and now I'm regularly and easily below that.

I'm also aiming for 1900 calories (according to an online calculator my BMR should be ~2450, massively fat + sedentary lifestyle), again regularly and fairly easily hitting or being under target. I do relax it somewhat over the weekend, but rarely breach it still. I also add any exercise calories to it and use them.

I have no idea how much weight (or specifically fat I guess) I've lost, although I'm sure I've lost some (looser clothing etc), and more importantly I feel better than I did before the diet change, which has given me the motivation/energy to get out the house and do exercise.

Just walking and cycling so far, walking went from 0.8 miles to 2-2.5 mile routes, stopped increasing there mostly as that's ~40 minutes at the moment which fits in my day easily. Cycling 5-6 miles ~2x a week, I did do an 8 mile ride a couple of weeks ago and it both utterly knackered me but also my walking the day after suffered badly (calf pain mostly), plan is to increase that over the next few rides.

So yeah, overall going well, enjoying things in general, losing weight and more importantly stuck to it for basically 2 months now, which beats pretty much every diet change I've ever tried :)

Soldato
I celebrated getting under 15 stone for the first time in years with a Maccy D's breakfast. And when I got home the missis wanted Chinese.

So hopefully at some point in the next few years I can celebrate getting under 15 stone again...

Soldato
I'm cutting portions and snacks (just not buying any)

Still eating a decent amount, being "that guy" who hauls 17st of himself into the gym in january, i'm more concerned with losing flab than actual weight, and i'm intentionally sticking to slowly (0.5st per month target) rather than the traditional "starve yourself for a month and give up by febuary" approach.

The big thing i want is more energy, i'm comparing my weight in f2000's as for every half stone i lose it's like lifting one of those off me, and by the time i've lost enough to cover the weight of my airsoft rig i'm hoping it'll be like running around with no rig at all (which i could do easily despite my weight).

I think my biggest motivation is a mate of mine (who admittedly did it the wrong way by starving) who's lost 6st in 4 months, and i refuse to be the fat one of the pair of us. Plus swapping the smokes for vaping means my lungs actually work (its amazing how bad i was for only 5 years of smoking)

Soldato
For breakfast today I had a pack of oatcakes.
For lunch I had a salad.
For dinner I had two fishcakes and a big bag of rocket.

Spent 2 hours in the gym hurting myself.

Treated myself to two beers.

Caporegime
OP
My point was there are too many people who believe the only way to lose body fat is by doing cardio, it can help but diet & resistance training is key to losing body fat.

Link, regardless of the fact it's from a female fitness book, the base facts remain the same: https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=wMYgtUKCao4C&pg=PA51&#v=onepage&q&f=false

If cardio works and you like it, do it, I do it but not for weight loss. I do it for general health and because it clears my head taking a run.

I've been doing 100 pushups every other day, in addition to a drastic decrease in food consumed (no snacks at all, smaller portions).

Still my weight is creeping up, not down, after the first week's initial 1/2 stone loss.

I'm not visibly putting on any muscle, so my body must be finding some way to retain the fat :/

Don't you just hate it when your own body is conspiring against you?

Caporegime
OP
For breakfast today I had a pack of oatcakes.
For lunch I had a salad.
For dinner I had two fishcakes and a big bag of rocket.

Spent 2 hours in the gym hurting myself.

Treated myself to two beers.

See I couldn't do that to myself. A salad is not something I will stoop to eating :p A salad I give to a rabbit, then I eat the rabbit.

Smaller portions, yes. Salad? **** off :p

Soldato
I've been doing 100 pushups every other day, in addition to a drastic decrease in food consumed (no snacks at all, smaller portions).

Still my weight is creeping up, not down, after the first week's initial 1/2 stone loss.

I'm not visibly putting on any muscle, so my body must be finding some way to retain the fat :/

Don't you just hate it when your own body is conspiring against you?

Congrats on 100 push ups, is that straight out or split into sets?

In terms of weight loss, if the following sounds condescending, I apologise, it doesn't mean to, just a few obvious things to point out. Have you worked out your TDEE and do you track your food? I know it sounds simple but a lot of people think they eat more/less calories than they do.

Could be you've dropped your calories too low, body is worn out and not enough sleep, these combined will stall weight loss. Or could simply be even though you've cut down your food, your still eating too much. 100 pushups will only burn about 75-100 calories. That's only 525-700 calories burned every fortnight. Remember a pound of fat is about 3500 calories iirc.

If you really want to test yourself, do something I added into the end of my weight workouts, push up/stand up. Do 1 push up, stand up straight, drop down, do 2 push ups, stand up straight, drop down, do 3 push ups, stand up and repeat all the way up to 10. Sounds easy but it'll wipe you out. IF you do it easily, time yourself, then next time try and eat that time.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Congrats on 100 push ups, is that straight out?

No, lol, I only started this a month ago, and from absolutely no muscle mass at all. Imagine someone who would get crushed by Mr Bean :p

Four times a day (every other day), I do something like this

10... rest (1 min)
7... rest
8...rest
9 (or failure)

Read somewhere ages ago that this is a good way to do it. Certainly does make my shoulders and arms ache, and even managed to pull something in my groin, so it must be good :p

Soldato
Biggest thing for me is getting away from the sugar in breakfast cereal. I don't really need to loose any weight maybe a pound or two but I am trying to cut unneeded refined sugar out of my diet. My diet overall is pretty good though 5 a day nearly every day plenty fresh meat and fish.

I have started ponding the kettlebell also and trying to constantly beat my plank time record at the moment. Just a bit of in the house training for 15 minutes every day, but I can see and feel the difference already.

Soldato
No, lol, I only started this a month ago, and from absolutely no muscle mass at all. Imagine someone who would get crushed by Mr Bean :p

Four times a day (every other day), I do something like this

10... rest (1 min)
7... rest
8...rest
9 (or failure)

Read somewhere ages ago that this is a good way to do it. Certainly does make my shoulders and arms ache, and even managed to pull something in my groin, so it must be good :p

Regardless of how you're hitting the 100 reps, you're hitting them and that what matters, keep it up.

The push up is a really underrated exercise by most, it's essentially a plank in motion when done right. You're not just getting an arm/chest/shoulder workout, it'll be hitting your core as well.

If you've got somewhere to hang, throw in pull ups as well, hit 100 of those the day you're not doing push ups. ;)

Back
Top Bottom