What "man jobs" have you done today?

Soldato
Thanks :) Although the good work is being done by the tradesmen I am just paying for it!

The house is a new build however as with these all they are is a blank canvas to work on.

We are already looking at ideas to change the bathroom and en-suite around a bit. I will add a new thread however I think I will just collect all images of things we do and stick them all in at once.

Associate
put my TV on the wall, with all wires chased into chimney breast, same with my new fire and also the surround sound speakers so no wires on show. Put the RGB's on the back of my TV.

Obviously not all in a days work though!
YiqoC9Jl.jpg

Permabanned
Descaled the steam generator iron. Never even knew these things needed it, suffice to say loads of green, brown sludgy deposits came out. :eek:

I used descaling products from my coffee machine as it is safe to use with aluminium boilers. I ran it through the anti calc valve and after I ran it through the water tank and primed the iron until only clear water came out.

Had no idea whether what I did was the correct procedure but in my head it seemed right :p

Now the iron is ready to use in less than a minute, produces loads of steam, doesn't drip water and the pump kicks in often supplying water to the iron so I think it was a successful attempt :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Some more plastering last night, used some easi fill, great stuff all the pros of polly filler but gypsom based, great for finishing off the chases after being bulk filled with hardwall.

Tonights work will be sanding the ceiling to remove the worst of the artex and some more easi fill to finish off some of the chases.

Soldato
Descaled the steam generator iron. Never even knew these things needed it, suffice to say loads of green, brown sludgy deposits came out. :eek:

I used descaling products from my coffee machine as it is safe to use with aluminium boilers. I ran it through the anti calc valve and after I ran it through the water tank and primed the iron until only clear water came out.

Probably need todo the same with ours - it's got "anti-calc" where you pull out the little thing with all the crap on it but you will always get stuff inside that reduces efficiency.

Permabanned
Probably need todo the same with ours - it's got "anti-calc" where you pull out the little thing with all the crap on it but you will always get stuff inside that reduces efficiency.

makes a huge difference. Mine had been neglected for years. It's an old Tefal model probably one of the first steam generators, however mine is similar to the one in the video below as the anti-calc doesn't have a pull out but a plug where you put in descaling fluid.

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks for the posts about the steam iron. Ours has been driving us crazy with it taking forever to produce steam and then being intermittent. Not sure its got any anti-calc or whatever so might just run it through the water tank.

Soldato
Some more plastering last night, used some easi fill, great stuff all the pros of polly filler but gypsom based, great for finishing off the chases after being bulk filled with hardwall.

Tonights work will be sanding the ceiling to remove the worst of the artex and some more easi fill to finish off some of the chases.

Careful with sanding artex if your house was built before the mid 90s (asbestos!)

Associate
They are a real nice feacture, what wood did he use?

24675820035_0e71e2d656_c.jpg

almost the same size.

Tea Drinker
Don
It is yes. The kids were watching it when I signed up. Like many forums you don't really know which ones you'll stick to so didn't take much thought.

Maybe a name change to Tripod or Mr fantastic

Soldato
Fitted a 10yr smoke alarm - go me! lol

Also enquired about paying a lump sum off my mortgage - lot easier than I thought it would and when mortgage is up this year I'm considering moving deals however it is just a lot easier with Santander because they have a branch I can walk to if I have a problem....

Soldato
put my TV on the wall, with all wires chased into chimney breast, same with my new fire and also the surround sound speakers so no wires on show. Put the RGB's on the back of my TV.

Obviously not all in a days work though!
YiqoC9Jl.jpg

Im going to be doing the same thing quite soon. Id like to put my TV on the chimney breast with my 5.1 speakers and chase the cables in to the walls.

Could you give me any tips? What did you do for the power cable did you fit a socket or bury a cable? Where do your HDMI and audio connection come out? Did you use a faceplate atntye speaker end or just cable?

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom