Unlocking IPhone 5C

Associate
I have been given an iPhone which I need to unlock as I am with giffgaff. EE shop say they can't do it as their system isn't up to date enough to do it. EE website says if you are a PAYG customer you can create an account. If I insert a new EE sim and create an account do you think it will work to create an unlocking request. Anyone done this recently?

Soldato
Can you not ask the person who gave you the phone to contact EE and request it be unlocked? It costs £20 IIRC.

I did that when I gave my Dad my old iPhone 5. I asked EE to unlock it then a few days later it was done and he was up and running with his Vodafone SIM.

Associate
Or if you just want to save hassle just use a unlocking service from Ebay just looked and there is a few ok going to code £30ish but less hassle
used a few off them in past and never had any problems

Soldato
If I insert a new EE sim and create an account do you think it will work to create an unlocking request. Anyone done this recently?

The online form only asks for your personal details and the number of the EE sim in your phone to send the unlock code to via SMS. There's a small fee to pay, I think it was £7.50. These isn't an option to have the code send via email.

With O2 the unlock code is emailed to you, but you still need an O2 number to request to code, even if the SIM isn't in the phone.

Commissario
Unlock codes? Surely that's a fiddle of some kind? I thought the only way to properly unlock an iPhone was through the network the phone is locked to as the master database is stored by Apple. I'm not sure I'd trust anything else.

Back
Top Bottom