Pro Cycling Discussion 2016

Soldato
OP
Fantastic spring from caleb ewan on that last stage. To come from a way back and dominate! No point locking to that wheel with his small profile.

Soldato
Fantastic spring from caleb ewan on that last stage. To come from a way back and dominate! No point locking to that wheel with his small profile.

Check out the side profile video I saw it on Twitter, he's kissing the front wheel.

Not sure how he would go on a rough surface, maybe end up spinning the back wheel or having it hop on him, but then I guess he can afford to make a lot less power than the other guys as he is so aero.

Woods for Cannondale put a good ride in, I think he was on UHC last year, but remember him placing well on the domestic scene. See if his form improves over the season, expect good things if so.

Soldato

Yet Porte got slated & DQ'd for borrowing a wheel from a fellow pro?! UCI seems the home of double standards these days! :rolleyes:

Gotta love one of the comments from that page though:

Aside from the mess over wheels and bike rules why haven't the UCI banned that haircut yet? Reminds me of the question - 'How you you fit a man's ponytail under a helmet?' 'Easy. Cut it off.'

I didn't fight in two world wars to have to watch long haired hippies - some with silly beards and vulgar tattoos - riding in the pro peleton.

No wonder Tyler's so accident prone. Maybe he can't see where he's going.
Trololol :D:D:D

Footage of the TDU has been great - puts some of the french coverage of the TDF to look poor. Although I really expected to see more on bike footage this year?!

EDIT: Just read the list of injuries to Degenkolb & co. Horrific & amazing nobody was killed! :o

Last edited:
Soldato
Cadel Evans great road race today, first race of the season for Cav.

Girl from our club got 12th in the women's race yday, and had a top 20 at nationals, she's off to Europe to try and make it next month!

Soldato
Presumably say in a GT, anyone who smashed a stage in the mountains would get caught by scrutineers/they'd check someone who did that, but I wonder if someone would fancy using a device to have an okay day (rather than a bad one!), and then would probably get away with it.

That's the issue I guess, so many bike changes go on it would be easy for a rider to use a dodgy bike early in the stage and then switch it out for a clean bike later on. Alternatively, domestiques could do longer and harder turns that save their leader a bit longer into the stage, and I'd guess are unlikely to be target tested if they finish way down the field.

Surely some sort of thermal camera would do the trick though in catching them, though.

Soldato
No way was an U23 cross rider the first to try and get away with that... Interesting.

It's a shame because the racing yesterday was very entertaining, we need more cross on TV.
Yeah, I find that aspect very odd.

You could kind of understand an old road pro, maybe familiar with the conventional dopeing whos legs are on the way out and has little to lose as their career would be over anyway. But a young female junior? Just doesn't compute, unless its happening a lot more than what people thought.

EDIT: I just read her brother is on an EPO ban, maybe she just has the wrong people influencing her.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Just watched the final of the elite men. What a race by Van aert considering his tangle! Well deserved champ. Also a shame the controversy has overshadowed the fact that the u23 women's winner was British!

Soldato
Cross is ridiculous - love my early year fix since dsicvering it three years ago at Richmond. I feel for Van Der Haar - can't help but want to support his tiny rame next to "giants" around him. WVA clearly the strongest after leading for the first half, losing 30s in the incident and still being strongest on the last climb

Also a shame the controversy has overshadowed the fact that the u23 women's winner was British!

Her first ever race abroard too!

Soldato
OP
Cross is ridiculous - love my early year fix since dsicvering it three years ago at Richmond. I feel for Van Der Haar - can't help but want to support his tiny rame next to "giants" around him. WVA clearly the strongest after leading for the first half, losing 30s in the incident and still being strongest on the last climb

Her first ever race abroard too!

The riders are mental, their ability not only physically but skill wise is immense. It's a great event to ride in, although highly depressing with the way in which the top riders go past you! Got a couple of world champs in the vet50s category ride in our local series which is a joy to watch, their so fluid!

Soldato
Failed to find anything else 'Pro' related to ask this and didn't think it suitable in Race Reports so...

http://roadcyclinguk.com/racing/rep...-team-dimension-data.html#P6M8HArEGXr6uMOL.97

After the first stage of a stage race (Tour of Qatar) how can the GC result table/times be different to the stage 1 table & times? Unless that's just a reporter/results error? I only vaguely understand how the new UCI rankings work, but I don't think the rankings themselves shouldn't determine the GC results in a stage race? :confused:

Associate
Failed to find anything else 'Pro' related to ask this and didn't think it suitable in Race Reports so...

http://roadcyclinguk.com/racing/rep...-team-dimension-data.html#P6M8HArEGXr6uMOL.97

After the first stage of a stage race (Tour of Qatar) how can the GC result table/times be different to the stage 1 table & times? Unless that's just a reporter/results error? I only vaguely understand how the new UCI rankings work, but I don't think the rankings themselves shouldn't determine the GC results in a stage race? :confused:

Pretty sure its because any bonus time accumulated during the stage is added to the GC standing and not to the stage result.

Soldato
OP
Well, subtracted, but yeah. What I don't get is how you'd decide who got the Jersey on the third day if, for example, someone came first on the first day and second on the second day and someone else did the opposite.

In that case would probably be the one who won the first stage, or a coin toss.

Back
Top Bottom