Your workplace - Building quality and facilities?

Associate
OP
I mostly work from home currently. So yeah, pretty modern :D

I do lack air con, but to be fair I can do without for the 5 days a year it is needed in the home in the UK.

Air con requirement in your home is different to an office building full of computers generating heat constantly though. I work from home two days a week and need the heating if anything. But our 'air con' I suppose is heating too, it's just not set correctly.

Soldato
Air con requirement in your home is different to an office building full of computers generating heat constantly though. I work from home two days a week and need the heating if anything. But our 'air con' I suppose is heating too, it's just not set correctly.

My house is probably hotter than most offices. We keep reptiles and have 9 vivariums kicking out 30c + heat from light bulbs / heat panels / heat tubes etc 12 hrs a day.

BUT on the plus side, the heating hardly ever comes on.

It is pretty awful those 5 days we get hot weather in the summer though.

Soldato
My house is probably hotter than most offices. We keep reptiles and have 9 vivariums kicking out 30c + heat from light bulbs / heat panels / heat tubes etc 12 hrs a day.

BUT on the plus side, the heating hardly ever comes on.

It is pretty awful those 5 days we get hot weather in the summer though.

You can't sit in just your pants in the office though ;)

Caporegime
I work in an office that probably dates back to before Shakespeare.

The sash on the sash window is broken, so I can only open my window fully, there is no air con so it's hell during the summer, and in the winter there is only one radiator that works the other leaks so was turned off.

Pretty good conditions here, working in a mid-90s admin block, so still looks fairly new. Cleaners come in after work. Every other corridor has a kitchen. Only downside is my office is open-plan, so can get noisy and it's often too hot for me as everyone have different body temps.

Facilities: Good subsidised canteen, selling hot meals for around £3 and 12" subs for around £2.50. We also have a tuck shop. We don't have anything like an on-site gym though. That would be nice... one of my previous workplaces had one (and on-site hairdresser too!!)

Associate
Work in finance for a financial services company.

The building we're based in is nice but I think we're moving to the 'Cheesegrater' soon. Facilities wise we're ok, everyone's got a Herman Miller chair bar those with special conditions who have been issued with difference chairs, those who need have been recommended it got sit-stand desks.

Got Nespresso coffee machines, in addition to ZIP taps which supplies instant filter hot/chill water, there is also a juice machine and generally the fridges are stocked with Coca Cola. We unfortunately don't have a subsidised canteen but we do get fresh/dried fruits and nuts in the morning.

Associate
Pretty good.

Heavily subsidised Canteen
2 lounges with comfy chairs, vending machines, coffee machines and fridges on each floor
Outdoor Gym
Indoor Gym
Showers and locker facilities
Subsidised Costa Coffee Shop on site
Tesco Metro planned to open in the building later this year
Games room with PS4 Xbox1 coming later this year
My desk has a lovely view of the Castle and a perfect view of the TV in the corner.

/Salsa

Soldato
My work building is amazing. Free secure parking, secure sheltered motorbike and pushbike parking, showers, changing rooms, subsidised canteen with a different menu every day. Toilets and all other facilities are pretty much sparkling 90% of the time, loads of different break areas.

Man of Honour
I'm on the 30th floor in one of the buildings at Canary Wharf, I sit by the window and it's wonderful.

The toilets block constantly though.

The kitchen facilities are great however.

Soldato
Can't complain too much about the office plus I have window seat. Our office is right across the road from Uni so I get a good view of students. Did I mention there are benches right under my window where the girls have their lunch in summer. :)

Soldato
I work in a supermarket so predictably terribad:

-Built >25 years ago and constantly refitted/expanded so it's in various states of modern/woefully creaky

-Doors are open all the time (front for customers, warehouse for deliveries) and despite the wind blowing largely across the front door it's still flipping freezing! :D

-Whenever it rains pretty hard one of the aisles floods. If we get lucky then this can spread half way across the store. Awesome fun!

-Canteen is meh (vending machines & a 1200W microwave that destroys everything!) and the lockers/toilets just got refurbished although I haven't been up there in a while....

To be fair it could be a lot worse and as far as I know the heating didn't actually break this winter for the first time that I can remember! :eek:

Back
Top Bottom