Skoda

Soldato
I honestly don't know :)
I spoke to my local dealer who were "unsure". Was just a casual chat while I was waiting for parts to locate my order.
Maybe they weren't allowed to tell me etc.
It's also possible VW have started to embrace Skoda - in the past for example the vRS engine has been "detuned" compared to the same engine in the GTI resulting in a drop of "headline" specifications. Silly little things like that to keep the VW brand as premium over Skoda.

The Octavia is 433mm longer, 95mm wider and has a wheel base 43mm longer than the Golf.

Soldato
I honestly don't know :)
I spoke to my local dealer who were "unsure". Was just a casual chat while I was waiting for parts to locate my order.
Maybe they weren't allowed to tell me etc.
It's also possible VW have started to embrace Skoda - in the past for example the vRS engine has been "detuned" compared to the same engine in the GTI resulting in a drop of "headline" specifications. Silly little things like that to keep the VW brand as premium over Skoda.

The Octavia is 433mm longer, 95mm wider and has a wheel base 43mm longer than the Golf.

Yeah but now VW itself is (stupidly) persona non grata to Johnny Public, a VAG sale is a VAG sale regardless of which badge is on the bonnet. ;) Their first quarter sales seem to have taken a hit.

Soldato
Looking at Octavia's in hatch mode and totally unsure of which engine to go for.

Test drove the following

TDI 1.6 - Too Slow
TDI 2.0 - Nice and responsive but is apparently a bit thirsty

Looking at 1.4 TSI now :(

Soldato
Looking at Octavia's in hatch mode and totally unsure of which engine to go for.

Test drove the following

TDI 1.6 - Too Slow
TDI 2.0 - Nice and responsive but is apparently a bit thirsty

Looking at 1.4 TSI now :(

Actually drive the TSI then come back and put a sad smiley next to it... I dare you. It's a lovely engine and very responsive, pulling hard from low down then singing the hp at higher revs. It's economical too; I easily got 50mpg on test driving the mk3 Octavia. I went 2.0 TSI Superb in the end but I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

It has the benefits of the diesel and petrol engines (light weight, grunty, free revving, economical etc) with few downfalls. I even considered the 1.4 150ps ACT variant for the Superb but soon changed my mind for extra power. Check out the 1.4TSI owners' thread on Briskoda for real life stories on how it performs.

Soldato
Has anyone got any experience with the 2L TDI Engine on a skoda?

Whats the economy like ?

my diesel vRS estate (mk3) averages around 45mpg for general pottering, over 50mpg on a run and managed 58mpg for 150 miles on M6 run.

Tank isn't massive - around £43 to brim it from empty and I get around 450/460 miles out a tank generally.

That's around 2.5 years history.

Caporegime
I have the most recent Euro6 2.0 TDI and it currently has a lifetime MPG of about 41. Considering about 3,000 of the 4,000 miles I've put on it have been motorway, I think that's pretty poor.

Soldato
I have the most recent Euro6 2.0 TDI and it currently has a lifetime MPG of about 41. Considering about 3,000 of the 4,000 miles I've put on it have been motorway, I think that's pretty poor.

Dire I'd say, but it depends a lot on how you drive it. My M135i (LCI) has a lifetime MPG average of 34.3MPG, which includes a couple of track days, but that's over ~23k miles, most of which is of course motorway mileage. Fuel efficiency improved noticeably after about 12k miles.

Associate
Just picked my new plate, annoyingly they had VRS as the last 3 characters but that had already been snapped up unsurprisingly, had to settle for VRJ in the end.

Man of Honour
More, most likely! The older PDs had better economy figures...

Oh come on, anyone who claims to get 40mpg around 'town' is being economical with what they mean by 'town'.

For me town driving is cold starts, stop start traffic, not cruising around the ringroad at 50mph.

I've never really topped 30+ sustained around town in any car I've driven including a 1.6 diesel Mini.

Soldato
My VRS is in the garage having the DSG fault diagnosed....

fingers crossed it's not a big problem!

They phoned and said there was no info going to the DSG box at all, could be a corroded cable. VW have put all the cabling under the battery where a load of water runs off so the cables get knackered - great!

Soldato
By a whopping 5cm. The whole car is only 43cm longer and the same width... to consider them in a different class is a fallacy, mainly due to the shape of the boot making people think it's as big as a mondeo

No idea but it's a lot bigger than my neighbours golf. The boot is a lot bigger which is what I wanted.

Back
Top Bottom