Waking Up In The Morning

Associate
Hi All,

I have never been the best at waking up in the morning - I remember my teenage years were especially bad.

But having had Gf's over the years and staying over with them etc I had kind of forgot as I always had an alarm clock (person) I could ignore.

I have been working away a lot recently and I am really struggling to wake up for work on time.

I have my phone sat next to bed, on loud and with multiple alarms set eg 6am, 630am, 645am, 7am yet I will all of a sudden I wake up and its 9am and my phone shows I have either snoozed them (don't remember) or they have just stopped/given up.

I have even bought an alarm clock for in the hotel that I have set and put away from the bed so I cant turn it off without getting up.

I don't think its because I am tired that I oversleep - when I wake up or someone wakes me up at 5:30/6 in the past I have been fine all day/no issues.

Its as if when I go to sleep my ears turn off/it requires a bigger "kick" to wake me up.

Has anyone else got/had the same problem? Any advice?

So far I have been able to hide it with "traffic is bad guys" or other lame excuses but eventually its going to look like I am lazy/sitting about the house in the morning, when actually I am a morning person - Weekends I am up at 7ish and like being out and about.

Soldato
Weekends I am up at 7ish and like being out and about.
I was with you until this line. How are you up at 7am at the weekends without the same performance? :confused:

I'm the worst at getting up. I feel like absolute **** in the morning, every morning. I can have a full 8hrs sleep and still feel wrecked when my alarm goes off. So I have to set alarms for the weekend, because if I don't I will end up just rolling over and going back to sleep until 11am.

Caporegime
Make sure you get at least 8 hours sleep, and that is sleep, not just being in bed. If iy take you 30-45minutes to fall asleep then you need to set aside about 8.5-9 hours each night.

Soldato
Don't have your alarms set so far apart. Have 2 alarms with a 10 minute gap between them, turn the lights on on the first alarm and get out of bed on the second. Don't stay in past the second alarm.

Soldato
Make sure you get at least 8 hours sleep, and that is sleep, not just being in bed. If iy take you 30-45minutes to fall asleep then you need to set aside about 8.5-9 hours each night.

I got into bed last night at 8pm as i could barely stay awake, i had to be up at 5am. I got into bed, no lights or TV, just tried to drift off, wasn't happening. I checked my phone and it was 11.30pm and i was still awake, i then woke up at 2am after drifting off, i'm now wide awake and feel like i have slept for hours, it's weird. :(

Associate
A couple of ideas - one are the sunrise alarm clocks, i.e. Lumie. My wife has one and really rates it - a much more natural way of waking up.

Another is to use an alarm clock app on your phone. I had one a while back when I was struggling, which required me to solve several maths problems before the alarm sound stopped. After some mental arithmetic you're definitely awake.

In the long run though, the key is to just get as up as soon as the first alarm sounds. If you get into the habit of snoozing etc you'll keep doing even when you don't want to. And it's a very easy habit to fall into IMO.

Soldato
Count backwards from the time you want to get up in 90 minute chunks, then aim to get to sleep at this time. (e.g. I want to get up at 6am, so I would go to sleep at 10.30pm). This means being ready and relaxed enough to fall asleep. Make sure you eat well and get some exercise every day too.

Associate
You just have to get up and get moving! I'm up anytime between 3:30 and 4:30 every day due to my lad waking up at that time everyday and shouting me! He's 4 and loves being awake.

You'd think he'd be tired during the day but afraid not, he's worse than a bleddy duracell bunny, i wish i had his enthusiasm and energy.

I've always been a morning person, just get up and go! As soon as i wake up i carry me lad downstairs, make him a comfy place to lay on sofa while i make me n the missus coffee, work flask, packed lunch, my breakfast, his breakfast and a cordial or fruit juice for him. Got my routine sorted.

Associate
If you go to bed at the same time every night, try going 30minutes +/- the original time and see if that helps. It helped me as I found that if I went to bed at 10, I would be nackered, but if I went to bed at 10:30-11 ish, I'd feel fine as I was in a deep REM sleep.

Soldato
You sound just like my brother. He could sleep through an air-raid siren.

You could do with something like Fitbits silent alarm - (doesn't sound promising - but it vibrates like mad, you might find this wakes you up easier than a noise).

Also how dark are your rooms? If you've got a blackout curtain, that might also be making it harder to wake up. If your windows don't face out onto anything, then try sleeping without curtains closed, you may find the natural light in the morning is also enough to wake you up.

Soldato
Another vote for the Lumie. My wife has the Starter 30 (which she loves) and I have a little LED version from Lidl. Marvellous things.
Also, put your phone out of arms reach (as others have said). Once out to bed to turn it off you might as well stay up.

Back
Top Bottom