*** Sky Q Thread ***

Soldato
I dont like the sound of it too much anyway tbh. I really don't want to rely on wi-fi to watch stuff I've recorded. I think I prefer having my own box with 2 tuners and 2TB internal hard drive. No issues at all. I can see quite a lot of issues rearing their head with Sky Q.

It's pretty clear why they're doing this though; having your TV shows/movies tied to one box attached to one TV is no longer compatible with how a growing number of people watch stuff.

Man of Honour
Have they mentioned how this will affect the sky go website yet?

I regularly have my laptop in the office running SkyGo and outputting to the 3rd monitor. Don't want to switch to having to use a tablet in there.

Associate
Argh that's too bad. They're 30 other apartments, shocked that we still have a singular setup.

Do you have a resident's committee or some other group meeting where perhaps this can be raised and discussed?

If you are interested in researching it, it may be possible to launch some kind of takeover bid and have the residents gain better control of the property. Of course this needs some serious background research first.

Soldato
Random question guys. Because i live in a flat with a communal dish i only have 1 signal coming in so i can't record two programs. Being able to record 3 live do you think i will still need two inputs connected?

Kills me not being able to use my sky+ properly.

There has been an article posted where it was mentioned that you might be able to have two Sky Q Silver boxes. The information I've been provided through a private forum is that you can only have one Sky Q Silver on each account.

It is possible that a box under development might be able to support more Sky Q Minis.

For the present time I'd suggest that you keep your current set up and watch for any developments.

Unfortunately you'll need to discuss this with the Property management. They will need to arrange for the distribution system to be upgraded and for the LNB to be changed for one that is compatible with Sky Q.

If they need further information, point them to the page linked below:

https://communaltv.sky.com/

My building is the same, just one feed but for some reason they installed a splitter just below the socket which accomplishes absolutely nothing because it's just splitting one feed rather than working as two separate ones.

yeah you need a communal system to be set up right.

in our old flat we had 1 feed into a utility cupboard which then split into 2. which then worked perfectly with a + box.

Associate
@Neil g : From my understanding that split system will not work.

The Sky Q & Sky Q Silver boxes have multiple tuners. Each requires 2 feeds so that one can pick up the horizontal channels and the other the vertical channels.

The internal tuners will then pick up the specific channels that you need from those two feeds.

If Sky could have designed the boxes to work off one feed I am sure that they would have done this. Sadly the boxes come with two feeds as they couldn't.

Soldato
So let me get this straight, as an existing customer with sky broadband and sky sports, if I want the sky Q silver bundle it will be £99 plus £50 installation fee where as if I was a new customer it would cost me £99 with no installation fee?
Or have I read that wrong?

Soldato
So let me get this straight, as an existing customer with sky broadband and sky sports, if I want the sky Q silver bundle it will be £99 plus £50 installation fee where as if I was a new customer it would cost me £99 with no installation fee?
Or have I read that wrong?

Are you suggesting existing (loyal) customers are paying more than new customers? That's very common alas. It's a shame they don't reward loyal customers every 3-4 years with a 40% off year etc etc...

Caporegime
It's either SkyQ or the current SkyHD system. There's no mixing them. It's not just the dish, Sky's system won't allow it as SkyQ uses a single viewing card.

Associate
You will still be able to use Sky Go. I'm not 100% clear if Sky Go Extra is included for free if you just have the one box (i.e Sky Q or Sky Q Silver), but you definitely get it is you have a Q Mini.

Soldato
I'm not suggesting but asking for clarification, it certainly reads like existing (loyal) customers pay more (as per usual)

The upgrade process is quite a complicated one to explain properly.

Don't read too much into what you are seeing just now.

Best thing to do is on the 12th go to one of the stands in your local shopping centre and they can show you everything you need to know..

Soldato
The upgrade process is quite a complicated one to explain properly.

Don't read too much into what you are seeing just now.

Best thing to do is on the 12th go to one of the stands in your local shopping centre and they can show you everything you need to know..

So if I want to upgrade, I have sky sports and sky broadband how much will it cost me to upgrade to sky Q silver bundle? i.e. up front fee, not too bothered atm about monthly increase.

Associate
So if I want to upgrade, I have sky sports and sky broadband how much will it cost me to upgrade to sky Q silver bundle? i.e. up front fee, not too bothered atm about monthly increase.

I reckon it will be £99 for the equipment and £50 installation charge.

I'm really in 2 minds about upgrading, can see the benefits and it looks like a really neat solution. The installation charge for existing customers (but free for new customers) just has me a little rattled at the moment.

Soldato
I reckon it will be £99 for the equipment and £50 installation charge.

I'm really in 2 minds about upgrading, can see the benefits and it looks like a really neat solution. The installation charge for existing customers (but free for new customers) just has me a little rattled at the moment.

Thats what I thought until MarkeR said don't read too much into the pricing you see now, guess I will just have to phone up and find out, make a decision then :confused:

Man of Honour
OP
Pathetic. Won't let me order because we're not on Sky Broadband. How useless can you get. :( Might just tell them where to go with our Sky subscription.

Back
Top Bottom