*** Battlefield 1 ***

Associate
I would love either WW2 or a 2142 reboot as long as there is no wall running, jet packs, supers, perks, gun sights that see through walls etc, just the BF4 model in a new setting.

Caporegime
Was really tempted to get BF4 and the DLC in the sale they've got at the moment but I don't fancy playing against everyone else who will have already unlocked everything. Hopefully the next BF game will be this year at some point and won't be a mess for the first 12-18 months.

Associate
Would be great, more if the maps had the scale. Then you could have a bit more varied gameplay than two guys in jets raping everyone on the tiny maps like BF4.

Did that really happen ? In over a thousand hours i dont think ive ever been raped by jets .
Unlike BF2 where it used to happen regular.

Would prefer BC3 TBH but a refresh of BF3 would do me.

Man of Honour
Have you played battlefield 4 recently ? Dice LA did a load of work and it plays loads better than it did on release. The engine is fine, bF4 was just released unfinished. A load more here on the content of the Winter update that came in early 2015

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/news/view/improving-battlefield-4-the-winter-update

http://kotaku.com/battlefield-4-is-finally-getting-fixed-1577452991

The engine is pretty bad (visuals aside) - to their credit Dice LA did a mammoth job of papering over the cracks but I'd still be wary of anything built on it. Battlefront ran pretty well as far as it went but was still lacking some of the more recent fixes in BF4.

Wouldn't mind seeing a WW2 game again but I'd need a lot of convincing to throw my money at EA again after Battlefront.

Caporegime
Did that really happen ? In over a thousand hours i dont think ive ever been raped by jets .

used to happen all the time on maps like golmud railway if your team didn't have any decent jet pilots. If there's had an ace, and yours didn't. Nobody could be bothered continually dieing so stopped spawning in the jets, giving them free reign to kill everything in sight. That's why I usually went and got the anti air tank and hassled them with the passive AA missiles.

The engine is pretty bad (visuals aside) - to their credit Dice LA did a mammoth job of papering over the cracks but I'd still be wary of anything built on it. Battlefront ran pretty well as far as it went but was still lacking some of the more recent fixes in BF4.

Wouldn't mind seeing a WW2 game again but I'd need a lot of convincing to throw my money at EA again after Battlefront.

Analogy of "papering over the cracks" is completely pointless when it comes to computer software. How else do you fix bugs ? there is no "proper way" to fix them, neither is there a "quick and dirty way" you just fix them.

Man of Honour
Analogy of "papering over the cracks" is completely pointless when it comes to computer software. How else do you fix bugs ? there is no "proper way" to fix them, neither is there a "quick and dirty way" you just fix them.

I wish that was true - fixing bugs could be simply hardcoding the "right answer" to a specific fault condition or getting a function to mostly work 9 times out of 10 and hoping for the best - which is the state a lot of the engine "glue" code was in come BF4 release - or you could produce more robust code with a wider range of ability to handle diverse scenarios, race conditions that might not be immediately apparent, etc. (which is what you want to aim for in a game engine that unlike application programming is likely to be exposed to a wider range of scenarios and reuse in future products).

Man of Honour
A large amount of what Dice LA did (and it isn't a reflection on them as such) is papering over cracks in the underlying frostbite engine - if you had video game programming experience this wouldn't even be a debate.

EDIT: Take the high frequency bubble/cone mechanics - its a horrid hack job to compensate for the fact that the engine wasn't originally built for a high enough update rate, has a hugely inefficient system for reconciling client events and lacking a proper area of relevance system - to Dice LAs credit they've done a huge job in making up for that and the high frequency system largely works, albeit with some issues, but that doesn't take away from the fact its a plaster on top of a very nasty implementation.

Last edited:
Soldato
"come BF4 release"

Nobody is arguing that the game was unfinished and a mess on release. The work they put into the high frequency update bubble wasn't "papering over the cracks"

Which of these were "papering over the cracks' ?

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/forum/threadview/2979150494051082340/

Well the entire engine has been a improve and cover the cracks since 2.0, since then its just been built on top of that, on top of that etc.

Can only hope they don't bring the same thinking from Battle Front to this, cause that's a none sale right there.

Associate

It didn't happen at the start but after they nerfed the mobile AA because all the jet jocks cried about being shot down instead of being given free reign to like in BF2 it wasn't nice if your team had poor or no pilots to keep them busy.

Anything that builds on the work Dice have carried on putting in on BF4 should be fun as long as its not a rush to an arbitrary release date. :D

Associate
Was really tempted to get BF4 and the DLC in the sale they've got at the moment but I don't fancy playing against everyone else who will have already unlocked everything. Hopefully the next BF game will be this year at some point and won't be a mess for the first 12-18 months.

You can unlock good guns pretty quickly for most classes. 10 hours of gameplay and you'll have unlocked most of the essential kit items as well (med bag/ repair tool etc). There's still plenty of life left in BF4, and it rewards skill very well so that you shouldn't find yourself at a severe disadvantage if you engage in a fire fight against someone who's using a better weapon.

Caporegime
OP
So a Swiss retailer has listed BF5 as the below on their site:

Battlefield 5 for PS4/XB1/PC. Lists October 25 as a release date. It includes the description "Mehrspieler Taktik Shooter im 1. Weltkrieg" which translates to "Multiplayer tactical shooter in WW1".

Taken from GAF....wonder how true that is.

Back
Top Bottom