Should I get my new car detailed?

Associate
I'm picking up a brand new Audi A3 s-line in Daytona grey in 25 days.

I'm very excited about picking up this car and genuinely want to keep it a long time, until my circumstances change.

Should I get this car detailed? I've read so much on different forums but not sure if it's worth the money getting it done when new?

If so any recommendations on treatments would be nice?

Thanks guys.

Last edited:
Soldato
If you have a good one locally they yes. Some of the latest ceramic/nano type coatings are superb but do cost a few hundred quid to get applied.

I do agree with the above. If you have a local detailer to the dealership you can either (A) arrange for the detailer to attend the dealership or (B) have the car delivered to the Detailer and then collected and returned to the dealership on your behalf.

Soldato
It depends where you sit on the scale of don't care what the paintwork looks like to OMG it has to look like a show car. Most people are somewhere in the middle but lean one way or the other. Personally I would wait until you get the car though and see what it is like. Reading threads on detailing world you see some new cars are pretty good and others get delivered in a right state.

Associate
OP
I've bought it from Audi Coventry. It's at their PDI center. Any idea when it might arrive at the dealership? I would like to see it first.

I do quite like the idea of getting it coated but the dealership is not local.

Soldato
Our latest car is booked in with a highly reputable detailer (a limited company who've been trading 10+ years) for a 'new car protection detail' when it arrives. The last (i.e. current) one has burn marks in the clearcoat from kids wearing sunscreen, and the paint looks really flat already. They're only charging £249 and they even throw in a courtesy car for the 2 days the car's in with them.

I priced up to buy the basics and do it myself (quartz coating, C2, leather protection, glass water repellent etc) and that came in at £210 before I'd added in applicators, microfibres etc. So £250 is a bargain really, especially considering the benefits down the line. I should add that this is 'oop north' and a lot of detailers charge significantly more!

Associate
Definitely worth it, as Rainmaker has said buying all the kit they use will cost you around the same as a pro detailer but they have the benefit of all the years of experience to give you the best finish. Also a good detail with coatings means that your car will be so much easier to keep clean in the long run if you keep up with it.
Just make sure you organise it independtly and dont let the dealer offer you a package.

Soldato
There's a voice that keeps on calling me.
Our latest car is booked in with a highly reputable detailer (a limited company who've been trading 10+ years) for a 'new car protection detail' when it arrives. The last (i.e. current) one has burn marks in the clearcoat from kids wearing sunscreen, and the paint looks really flat already. They're only charging £249 and they even throw in a courtesy car for the 2 days the car's in with them.

I priced up to buy the basics and do it myself (quartz coating, C2, leather protection, glass water repellent etc) and that came in at £210 before I'd added in applicators, microfibres etc. So £250 is a bargain really, especially considering the benefits down the line. I should add that this is 'oop north' and a lot of detailers charge significantly more!

To be fair the 210 spent on kit will last a fair few cars . On a new car I'd do it myself as its pretty easy as you more than likely not need to do any correction.

Permabanned
Detailing isn't just about "correction" though. A new car generally looks pretty good at first glance but a good detailer will make it look "WOW".

Imo something like these guys do is the dogs b's but not exactly cheap.

http://www.magicdetail.co.uk/

Yeah you can wax your car yourself fairly easily and cheaply buts its not easy for a layman to apply the longer lasting nano coatings properly.

Permabanned
Not so bad if you have a garage or something. Difficult to apply the more complex coatings if its wet/wrong temperature/windy/outside.

I have done paint correction to fairly good standards on my old cars but not sure I would attempt the expensive nano coatings myself.

Associate
Any recommendations for car detailing in Greater Manchester? Also wheel hub treatments - rust etc

Have emailed a few places from Google but no ones ever come back.

Back
Top Bottom