Audi A3 2.0 TDI 140 variants (2006 specifically)

Soldato
I've seen one for sale as I think I just need something bigger and comfier. I can no doubt sell my Fiesta for more than I purchased for which somewhat recoups the chunk I lost on the Focus :D

Now this car is from a trader, he is totally insistent it's as good as split mint for the year (56 reg) with only a little scratch bottom of back bumper and an "un-noticable" tiny sort of ripple/dent above the bonnet catch/on bonnet edge. It is on 62k miles so quite low, really really tidy inside too from hi res pics sent to me. It's a "Sport" model, it has like S Line seats but cloth covered, climate control, reverse sensors, auto lights/wipers, cruise control, usual stuff like that. No DPF to worry about.

The trader says mechanically it's spot on and he claims (I tend to believe him but he is a trader afterall...) he will literally sort ANYTHING which needs doing as he has comprehensive checklists he puts all cars though so he is offering to re-con the turbo as he claims he can hear it whistling but no smoke/loss in performance but knows they are common for failure, he would warrant it for 1 year. The car will come with 6 months warranty (for what it is worth), he is going to do the cambelt/waterpump etc. Full service oil, air, fuel, coolant etc.

So it could be that it is a good potential purchase based on all of the above work being sorted. I really do think the 58 plates onwards are nicer looking but I could potentially get one for a bit more which may need all of the above doing... so could cost loads in repairs. The seller does all german stuff really, Audi's, BMW's, VW's etc.

So, what goes wrong with these things, what would I need to look out for? I don't know loads about them. I do about 16k a year milage at the moment so providing mechanically something like this didn't give issues it'd save me a few quid. Any idea's of stuff to check in and out would be great. Also opinions on perhaps what this car is worth... looking on the market they are not cheap cars at all. This one is up for £6250 but of course I wouldn't want to pay that. But initially I thought perhaps it is expensive as the facelift stuff edges in close by but with more miles etc but is it really that expensive if all the above is done, documented properly and the car really is as well looked after/mint as described? Of course I wouldn't be paying £6250 :)

Thanks guys.

Soldato
Have you driven one? They are white goods motoring

Fine if that's what you want, but if you are anticipating anything that goes / handles well you'll be pretty disappointed.

I can't see why he would randomly replace a turbo that whistles....they all whistle to some extent, so perhaps you aren't getting the full story there. That being said there's nothing wrong with a recon'd turbo

It'll be easily sell-able for him too so I wouldn't get your hopes up about knocking masses off the asking.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I have driven one and I do understand it will be a very safe, boring but actually perfect daily drive. I literally pootle around 80% of the time so at the moment I don't think I am too interested in too much performance, stiff suspension etc etc.

I too thought similar ref turbo, he seems to think it is louder than normal. I've not heard it as of yet of course, perhaps go on Saturday after a bit of OcUK advice on the cars in general and the price, but I am at no point going to stop him reconning the turbo, doing cambelt etc etc and am happy to put a deposit down and wait for the work to be done if he can perhaps provide copy receipts as proof for the parts. But I will come to that bridge if I have to.

I think I could knock him to £5900 but perhaps it is a lot of money? I don't know, only a month ago I sold my Focus ST for £6700 on a 56 plate, 71k miles I think it was on. I don't want to spend much but I think I just want a "nice" drive for the trip to work and back and pottering around with the missus at the weekend. Perhaps get a toy once settled in my house for weekend fun. My little Fiesta is a good B road blast albeit a bit underpowered but as a daily on bumpy roads... well, I have been there and done that. It was better the first time around when I was a bit younger :) Dodging potholes is becoming annoying already.

Soldato
Ah the 8P A3 - Having had one for four years the major drawbacks were the car wasn't anything special over a Golf for example, and in the wet it would slip and slip, worse after a remap! No DPF was a plus and it usually made that whine/whistle, just an annoying feature.

Looks though were nice and it was a nice place to be. I must like them because I ended up with another 8P for another four years! But a used V6 this time with almost every option!

The sport s line thing; I was told it would show sport on the V5 because s line is cosmetic (i.e. you get sport suspension only as a mechanical thing), however some V5s show s line. I assume the seats are part leather and cloth.

If you've come from an ST to a fiesta :)eek:) I would suggest test driving before purchase.

Soldato
Now this car is from a trader

he is totally insistent it's as good as split mint for the year (56 reg)

The trader says mechanically it's spot on

claims he will literally sort ANYTHING which needs doing as he has comprehensive checklists he puts all cars though

he is offering to re-con the turbo as he claims he can hear it whistling but no smoke/loss in performance but knows they are common for failure, he would warrant it for 1 year.

The car will come with 6 months warranty (for what it is worth), he is going to do the cambelt/waterpump etc. Full service oil, air, fuel, coolant etc.

Yeah, right. :p

£6250 for a 9 year old A3.. Sheesh.

Either he really is true to his word and you'll probably not get a penny off, or he isn't (i.e. a typical trader) and it's not in anything like the condition he says it's in, and he probably won't do half the work he says he will, at which point it's just another overpriced old VAG product.

Soldato
I had an 09 A3 TDI 170 Black Edition (complete with bone shattering S-Line suspension) and it was for all intents and purposes a Golf in a party frock. The engine was very much a diesel in it's loud clattering although it did give me 50-55mpg on a run which was nice. It certainly wasn't any more comfortable or refined than any other generic diesel hatchback with a sports suspension.

Soldato
I do find the A3 with s-line suspension very harsh probably not much difference to your fiesta ST to be honest, it's not a very big car at all so it won't feel massively refined as it is just a golf really. Also i personally really dislike the VAG 2.0 diesel as it is just so horribly coarse but they do seem to get fairly reasonable MPG at least.

Don
I really do think the 58 plates onwards are nicer looking

Really? The difference is barely noticeable - certainly not a real facelift - the only significant difference is the DRLs.

The sport s line thing; I was told it would show sport on the V5 because s line is cosmetic (i.e. you get sport suspension only as a mechanical thing), however some V5s show s line. I assume the seats are part leather and cloth.

The V5 for my S-Line showed "S-Line", although on most insurance and parts databases it would come up as "Sport" and need to be corrected :)

The "Sport" model has cloth seats iirc, S-Line has half leather as standard, full leather was an option.

I had an 09 A3 TDI 170 Black Edition (complete with bone shattering S-Line suspension)

I do find the A3 with s-line suspension very harsh

+1 - S-Line suspension especially with 18" Wheels is harsh, and seems to tramline a fair bit. The Sport model may have 17" Wheels though, which would help to some extent.

Having just got rid of my '07 Plate A3, then £6250 seems like a huge amount of money for one (even with the low mileage and cambelt service etc included).

Soldato
The A3 is ok, but it's not exactly the last word in handling or performance. It's basically am overweight Golf.

So if your after an A3, save money and get a Golf :p

Last edited:

nas

nas

Associate
As above, why not buy a golf? A GT if you want all the sporty add ons. (GT170 iirc)

As long as it has full dealership history, you can buy warranty from VW so you'd not have to worry about anything that goes wrong.

I never trust 3rd party warranty despite any assurances

Caporegime
The A3s interior was nicer than the mk5 golf when I looked at both. Ended up with an 8P 2.0T DSG and it was a solid, quick car. Only things that broke were the rear wiper motor, PCV hose and the aircon compressor. All 3 were common A3/Golf issues. Mine was over 110k when I sold it.

Soldato
The interior seems to hold up that little bit better than the golfs too, though personally it would depend on what the equivalent golf was priced at. If you'd save a grand+ by going VW then it becomes a bit of a no brainer imo.

nas

nas

Associate
The interior seems to hold up that little bit better than the golfs too, though personally it would depend on what the equivalent golf was priced at. If you'd save a grand+ by going VW then it becomes a bit of a no brainer imo.

my thoughts too and would suspect that its not that difficult to achieve

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the replies guys. Even though, if the guy ain't a liar, it could be a solid car maintenance wise, I tend to agree and am a bit hesitent to spend 6k on an "old" car again. At least one fairly mundane despite it being quite ideal for how I drive at the moment.

I had a browse again at MK5 GTI's and to be fair no 08 plates with that milage for 6k. I also agree the A3 interiors seem better quality and more solid than MK5 Golf's.

Same for 118/120d M Sports as I do really like those. Still expensive cars! So yup nothing stood out with other A3's, Golf's or 1 Series'.

I will just keep a look out in case I spot something on a whim which seems better value, is mint and thus worth a look.

Cheers :)

Soldato
Considered moving up a class with something like an a4/320d? Nicer to drive and although you won't get a newer car for the money, it will be a better car

Soldato
OP
I don't really have much need or desire for anything bigger really.

Blackhawk... to a degree you're right, as you may have noticed I've been through some cars the last few years. But, we're all here for the same reason - because we're into our motors and there are many cars I'd like to try, ain't gonna lie :)

118d M Sport as a minimum for a 1 series because let's be honest what petrol engines will have any amount of shove at this price point?

Golf GTI because the diesels are no cheaper and aren't as nice looking.

It's not JUST performance that it's all about for me any more but some reasonable torque so I don't have to razz it everywhere is good because a lot of the time I am at lower RPM with my driving style.

Back
Top Bottom