*** Sky Q Thread ***

Soldato
£6.75 extra per month for me if you ignore the discounts I get... but £349 up front costs, despite the fact you don't own the box... are they totally crazy?!

Trouble is on top of that stupid fee... I get a discount.... no way I'm paying £52 when I currently pay £30!

EDIT: It's only £299 for a new customer!!! What the actual ****?! Makes me want to cancel just on principle.

Last edited:
Soldato
Guy on the phone - when I called to see if there was wiggle room from what the website told me it would all cost me - said the same as others ^^ have said: "It is a one-off fee to access smart services"

Who would have thought that an access could cost this much :eek: especially seeing as each (mini) box requires its own access fee....although they all are essentially routed from the primary Sky Q boxes access :p

Caporegime
I looked at this today and no way am I paying these prices.

We have two proper Sky + HD boxes (lounge and bedroom) and were thinking of adding another in one of our sons bedrooms, so I thought Sky Q would be the way to go, not at these prices, £250 install cost for it with two additional boxes, nope.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Logging into my dashboard and choosing upgrade results in a monthly subscription increase of £34, and a one off of £249. This is for the basic SkyQ. And the box is on loan with an 18 month minimum term.

LOL. I guess this is aimed at the must have early adopters only.

Associate
I looked at this today and no way am I paying these prices.

We have two proper Sky + HD boxes (lounge and bedroom) and were thinking of adding another in one of our sons bedrooms, so I thought Sky Q would be the way to go, not at these prices, £250 install cost for it with two additional boxes, nope.

When Sky launched the new Q product range it was stated that it would be a premium product.

Ignoring the monetary side for a moment, Sky Q Silver with 2 Q Minis would be a great option for you IMHO.

Unfortunately the money side takes president and is a little too rich for a lot of people at this time.

In my own case the system isn't picking up that I have a legacy HD pack. It's asking me to pay a little too much and my 'one off fee' comes in at an eye watering £569.

I had already decided that I'll be sticking with my two Sky+ HD STBs for now. This will allow me to continue to contribute towards the beta testing.

Most of the features and apps that come with Sky Q I already have anyway, so it isn't an issue in my case. The Planner Sharing would hve been lovely to have though.

Soldato
I currently pay £30.30 a month for Sky, TV only including HD, Sports and Movies. I have no intention of using Sky for broadband.
I also use a Now TV box in another room with the Entertainment pack which works out at £5 a month.

The website tells me I'll have to pay an additional £58.20 a month for Sky Q Silver. No thanks!

Caporegime
It would indeed by ideal for me, but I am not stumping up those install costs.

What annoys me the most is I just had a web chat with them to review my current pricing, and the guy was told my current BB is 76Mbps with BT, he then said that Sky offer upto 38Mbps but the speed would be the same as with my current service and would remain unchanged.......:rolleyes:

Soldato
The main thing is the stupid install and upfront costs to essentially rent a few boxes that you have to pay a sub to use anyway. Like others have said, if you owned the box then fair enough but you don't so they're pushing their luck imo!

Soldato
I really hope Sky suffer the consequences of the ridiculous pricing. I understand that some heavy investment would have been needed to create such a system but the ask on customers here is just mind blowing.

I do like the look of of it but at £300 just to install it and get access the smart services then a further stupid amount on top of my subscription then not own anything is hilariously unfunny.

Associate
Does anybody happen to know if the existing shotgun cabling is still suitable?

No change in the cabling is required.

Of course, since the Sky Engineer will be there with a lovely new roll of cable in his/her van, I'd ask nicely if he/she could fit a nice new length of cable so that you can improve your signal by getting rid of the shotgun cable.

That's what I did when I had my 2nd box installed, and all went well. :)

I do like the look of of it but at £300 just to install it and get access the smart services then a further stupid amount on top of my subscription then not own anything is hilariously unfunny.

Like myself, you too find the initial costs a little too much. For the present time I'm sticking with Sky+ HD.

It would indeed by ideal for me, but I am not stumping up those install costs.

What annoys me the most is I just had a web chat with them to review my current pricing, and the guy was told my current BB is 76Mbps with BT, he then said that Sky offer upto 38Mbps but the speed would be the same as with my current service and would remain unchanged.......:rolleyes:

If you happen to have a copy of the discussion I'd love to post it in a closed forum where someone could take suitable action to get this kid of stuff stopped.

Send it to me via a PM if possible.

V F

V F

Soldato
I had already decided that I'll be sticking with my two Sky+ HD STBs for now. This will allow me to continue to contribute towards the beta testing.

Most of the features and apps that come with Sky Q I already have anyway, so it isn't an issue in my case. The Planner Sharing would hve been lovely to have though.

I don't know what to make of this current system with planner sharing. It sounds messy since a household will all have their stuff on the main box.

At least with the current Sky HD boxes all your stuff is listed for each box. It sounds messy to view a planner with everybody recording to the box rather than a sorted list for person A's recordings, b and c.

Associate
One of the things which Sky Q allows you to do is to set up profiles.

Now whilst I haven't had a play so I can't describe in detail how they work, what it does mean is that you can push up certain programmes or films to the top of the list when you perform a search.

Soldato
No change in the cabling is required.

Of course, since the Sky Engineer will be there with a lovely new roll of cable in his/her van, I'd ask nicely if he/she could fit a nice new length of cable so that you can improve your signal by getting rid of the shotgun cable.

Thanks for your reply although I am a little confused, if no cable replacement is necessary, why would changing good, existing cable, improve signal?

The reason I'm querying the cable is because my cable was installed into a channel that has since been plastered over so I would rather not have new cable run...

Back
Top Bottom