Poll: SR-71 or Eurofighter

Would you have an SR-71 or a Eurofighter?

• I am a manly man and would have the SR-71

Votes: 513 70.7%
  • I am a homosexual and would prefer the Eurofighter, kthx

Votes: 213 29.3%

• Total voters
Soldato
Stealth is a load of guff anyway, and easy to get round.

That's simply not true. The radar profile of a stealth aircraft is similar to that of a bird. Stealth gives an attacking force the ability to penetrate enemy defenses, eliminate targets and return without being detected. Not guff, just clever technology. If your enemy can not see you they can not target you. I served my time as an aircraft technician and I've seen some of these aircraft.

Last edited:
Soldato
That's simply not true. The radar profile of a stealth aircraft is similar to that of a bird. Stealth gives an attacking force the ability to penetrate enemy defenses, eliminate targets and return without being detected. Not guff, just clever technology. If your enemy can not see you they can not target you. I served my time as an aircraft technician and I've seen some of these aircraft.

It is true, RCS isn't constant is it and is dependant on position. Your RCS looking at you head on is completely different from underneath or above for instance. To get around that they use radar absorbing material but no material available has a perfect match across all frequencies, so all you need to do is to use a radar system that has a lower frequency for instance and you will be lit up like a Christmas tree.

Stealth is only really effective to combat radar frequencies you have designed it to combat. Outside of that it is not effective.

Caporegime
I'd go for this:

oSZP7Cy.jpg

Lockheed Martin F-22 Raptor Stealth aircraft.
Top speed: 2,410 km/h
Range: 2,960 km
Cruise speed: 1,963 km/h

The aircraft is unmatched by any known or projected fighter. The Raptor's combination of stealth, aerodynamic performance, and situational awareness gives the aircraft unprecedented air combat capabilities.

It's sexy and you know it ;)

justy everyso often it suffocates its pilot :p

Soldato
lolwut, sr-71? manly?

no thanx, can i haz one of these:

mig-25_3.jpg

almost as fast, flies higher, built like a tank, lands on a muddy field too, what more can u ask?

Soldato
justy everyso often it suffocates its pilot :p

Yeah. From wiki - New backup oxygen generators and filters have been installed on the aircraft. The coughing symptoms have been attributed to acceleration atelectasis, which may be exacerbated by the F-22's high performance; there is no present solution to the condition.

So basically they built a plane they can't fly at its full potential.

Soldato
A modern version of a radar system used during the Battle of Britan could see a stealth aircraft. It's not hard.

There's plenty of information regarding the efficacy of stealth technologies on the internet. Calling it 'guff' and implying cutting edge advances in materials, design, radar etc can be circumvented by WW2 radar technology is absurd. Low-frequency radar, Moore's law, Ship's wakes and spray, Schlieren signature, Quantum interference are all areas where advances have been made and technologies developed. Stealth is an ongoing development technology that is evolving decade by decade. If it was as useless as you make out, billions of dollars of military funding wouldn't be pouring in to advance it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stealth_technology#Principles

Soldato
There's plenty of information regarding the efficacy of stealth technologies on the internet. Calling it 'guff' and implying cutting edge advances in materials, design, radar etc can be circumvented by WW2 radar technology is absurd. Low-frequency radar, Moore's law, Ship's wakes and spray, Schlieren signature, Quantum interference are all areas where advances have been made and technologies developed. Stealth is an ongoing development technology that is evolving decade by decade. If it was as useless as you make out, billions of dollars of military funding wouldn't be pouring in to advance it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stealth_technology#Principles

If you read the countermeasures and limits it says use of low frequency and bistatic radar are where it can help against stealth, exactly what the radar system was which was used in WW2. As an aside I am an RF engineer and design subsystems for airborne radar systems for fast jets.

Last edited:
Soldato
Hmm I think all of this will be redundant once they figure out how to transport munitions to a target by teleport..

No real defence if you can teleport a fusion bomb to any point in the planet instantly.. you don't even need to detonate the component.. simply teleport the two components to the target so at the target hey are in a position to reach critical mass..

Soldato
If you read the countermeasures and limits it says use of low frequency and bistatic radar are where it can help against stealth, exactly what the radar system was which was used in WW2. As an aside I am an RF engineer and design subsystems for airborne radar systems for fast jets.

I think we are on the same page. We are talking about an arms race where there are stealth technologies and counter measures designed to combat them. My point is that stealth is still a viable, usable counter measure in modern warfare.

Back
Top Bottom