2016 Chilli Growers Thread

Soldato
Tried to grow some Chillies once before but my mum killed them when I moved away.

I just ordered a new set from South Devon (Ring of Fire, Super Chilli F1, Thai Hot Chilli), I'm looking for a similar chilli to what my favourite Thai restaurant uses in Brighton - hot but really tasty with it.

Not chasing "world's hottests" this time - I'm going to grow Chilli I can eat.

Soldato
Here is the Scotch Bonnet I was trying to overwinter and was I'm unsure about. I know it looks like a lot of side stems have been removed, there were very few when the plant came to me last year and some dropped off at the end of the summer along with the leaves it had...

1d72577b-30a1-4cc1-a941-27bdbea4f7a3_zpsbuohqbq8.jpg

Now, the top bit obviously looks dead, what you can't see in the photo is that by some of the old side stem bits on the green part look to have the first signs of tiny little leaves growing, so I'm hopeful that it might be ok with a bit of a feed and lots of tlc.

My question is , should I cut back the dead bit? and if so where would be best?

Last edited:
Soldato
Those Gnats are a PITA! Used cheap stuff, and home made stuff, both resulted in those gnats. Not tried expensive stuff yet. You would have though John Innes is up market enough.

Last edited:
Soldato
It seemed fine for a long time, then all of a sudden I was having to squish loads every day :(. Got to the point I was going to just bin them all and give up. I don't know what I did wrong as last year I even started using the bottom watering method and letting the plants dry out in between watering and I got the worst fungus gnat infestation ever.

I'm going to try using a larger pot and adding a layer of gravel on the bottom and then on the top of the soil in the hope that will make it less attractive to them. The only downside is that I usually go off the weight of the pot to know when it needs watering. Or looking at the top of the soil to make sure its dry. Not sure how i'd know when to water them if i did this.

Another option would be to use perlite instead of gravel, which i think might be better but more expensive.

Soldato
Yep, I've used the bottom watering method also. And just like you, its fine for a while and then boom, there are loads!

I ended putting up some of those yellow sticky fly catcher sheets. Not ideal, I'd rather prevent the problem.

Man of Honour
So my cupboard is only averaging 21 degrees, not the higher 24 I'm told I should aim for. Not sure what I can do there short of having the heating on constant, and it'd be cheaper just buying full plants :p

Will just have to give it a go. Layered dampened kitchen roll in plastic tubs with some air holes, yes?

Man of Honour
To stop gnats put a thick layer of perlite on top of the soil.
That's after you chucked out all the old plants and had a clean.

Valve you have green so should come back to life no issues, they're surprisingly resilient, I would cut it off just above where the green ends, no real reason to, other than space saving.

Soldato
So my cupboard is only averaging 21 degrees, not the higher 24 I'm told I should aim for. Not sure what I can do there short of having the heating on constant, and it'd be cheaper just buying full plants :p

Will just have to give it a go. Layered dampened kitchen roll in plastic tubs with some air holes, yes?

Lidl and Aldi sometimes have heated propagators on offer. I keep meaning to get one myself, but never get around to it so might just buy one at full price from Wilko. It might work out more expensive than buying full plants in the first year or so, but its far more rewarding growing from seed imo.

At 21c low to medium heat chillies should be ok, but might take a little longer to germinate.

Soldato
I didn't look into "overwintering" methods, my two were bought inside around November/December time, and then went into the garage where it looks like they've slowly started to die. Leaves have all shrivelled up.

I assume at this point they're no good any more. I'll post some photos later if it makes judging them easier.

Will be planting a new batch for this year anyway.

Soldato
I didn't look into "overwintering" methods, my two were bought inside around November/December time, and then went into the garage where it looks like they've slowly started to die. Leaves have all shrivelled up.

I assume at this point they're no good any more. I'll post some photos later if it makes judging them easier.

Will be planting a new batch for this year anyway.

Leaves always fall off.. the main thing is the stem. If it's brown and woody all the way down then it's likely dead. If it's still got some green in there perhaps with a bit of wood/dead at the top.. the plant will carry on given some light and warmth.

The main thing is not to over water and encourage mould/fungus at the point where the stem meets the soil.

Soldato
Valve you have green so should come back to life no issues, they're surprisingly resilient, I would cut it off just above where the green ends, no real reason to, other than space saving.

Yay! there was me thinking it was dead.

Chili Focus has arrived today so I shall give it a feed and keep my fingers crossed for a full recovery. :)

Soldato
Lidl and Aldi sometimes have heated propagators on offer. I keep meaning to get one myself, but never get around to it so might just buy one at full price from Wilko. It might work out more expensive than buying full plants in the first year or so, but its far more rewarding growing from seed imo.

At 21c low to medium heat chillies should be ok, but might take a little longer to germinate.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Garland-Ele...TF8&qid=1455029831&sr=8-2&keywords=propagator

I bought this last year and did well for a first time grower.

Soldato

Don't need the holes in the tubs for air initially to germinate.. once they've sprouted they'll droop (sulk) very easily with the change of air temp.

You can get electrical propagators, once they're sprouted and planted with their first leaves you can put them on the window sill in the same prop.

Associate
OP
I was having similar concerns Gilly, so I've bought a cheap electric propagator from B+Q for 15 quid. I think I've managed to get the temperature up to around 25C in the sunlight, according to the meat thermometer I've stuck in there :o. I'm hoping that should be enough for now

gKabkNJ.jpg

Man of Honour
Yay! there was me thinking it was dead.

Chili Focus has arrived today so I shall give it a feed and keep my fingers crossed for a full recovery. :)

Be careful with Chili focus, you can over fertilise and kill it. As it's not really using anything at the moment. If you want to use it give it a much reduced dose and then hold off till it's actually really growing again.

Associate
Package arrived, will be seeding in a heated propagator this weekend, after a two year break looking forward to this year. Hopefully can get some good plants.

Associate
2nd batch of seeds have started sprouting, started last weekend. 6 of each:-

Asian red (seeds from chilis from chinese supermarket)
Scotch Bonnet
Komoda Dragon
Craigs Double Hot Orange Habanero
Carolina Reaper
Birds Eye

Back
Top Bottom