*** Sky Q Thread ***

Associate
Has anybody got new Sky Q yet , i cannot see many getting this new service , so expensive . . . And no discounts for existing customer and if i took the new Sky Q serivce i would loose my 60% discount :mad:

No one will have it until the end of Feb at the earliest.

The guy on the phone told me install are not starting until then.

Permabanned
No one will have it until the end of Feb at the earliest.

The guy on the phone told me install are not starting until then.

They want to charge all this amount of money for Sky Q and Sky does not even transmit in 1920 x 1080p and as for 4K that could be a long wait . I cannot see a lot of customers switching to Sky Q unless Sky drops their prices

V F

V F

Soldato
They want to charge all this amount of money for Sky Q and Sky does not even transmit in 1920 x 1080p and as for 4K that could be a long wait . I cannot see a lot of customers switching to Sky Q unless Sky drops their prices

That isn't going to happen. Some bitch at £25 - £35 offers for Sky HD.

Caporegime

UHD content is due later this year. Pricing, if it is indeed extra, has yet to be announced.

Associate
Thanks for your reply although I am a little confused, if no cable replacement is necessary, why would changing good, existing cable, improve signal?

The reason I'm querying the cable is because my cable was installed into a channel that has since been plastered over so I would rather not have new cable run...

From my understanding a 'shotgun cable' is a extension cable that attaches to the original cable which is attached to the dish.

Of course it is also frequently in flats where there is a wall socket for the dish feed.

By definition there is a break in the wiring.

At this break the signal level drops and this can affect the quality of your image.

If done well, this is not an issue. If done badly then the result is an image that is frequently pixelated.

Since you shotgun cable has been plastered over this discussion is a little mute as its unlikely that you'll be able to easily fix anything if indeed there is a problem.

Soldato
My shotgun cable goes directly from the LNB to the sky box, no extensions/connections in between and nor have I ever noticed any signal issues - fingers crossed that will be fine then :)

Soldato
They've cleared launched it at a silly high price, to make it look like a good deal when they offer you 50-60% off the normal price. Excellent marketing!

Personally I hope it falls flat on it's face, with Netflix, Amazon, and other streaming services picking up the pee'd off customers. Pretty soon all Sky is going to be left with are die hard sports fans, who are happy to pay over the odds for 720P/1080i low bit rate signal broadcasts.

Soldato
Why so negative @Journey?

Right from the launch it was stated that Sky Q would be a premium product.

Sky is already premium enough due to the stupid amount they spend on sports programming.

For less than the most basic Sky package, you can get Netflix, and Amazon Prime which includes exclusive content, licensed content, including thousands of movies, of which most of it (if new) will be 1080P, and even some 4k. No 'HD' addons to pay for!

You can have up to 4 people accessing Netflix on any device you like, and even install other applications on an Amazon box, which costs about £70, and you own it.

I'm sorry if you can't see that Sky needs to wake up and smell the streaming revolution. :)

Oh, and most TV's include Freeview HD/Freesat HD, so what's left that sky has other than endless bloody adverts and repeats, with +1 channels galore and 3,000,000 shopping channels.

Soldato
Oh, and most TV's include Freeview HD/Freesat HD, so what's left that sky has other than endless bloody adverts and repeats, with +1 channels galore and 3,000,000 shopping channels.

The vast majority of decent US/Canadian dramas, for a start. Netflix is great if you don't ever watch HBO and don't mind seeing series a year or two after everywhere else has had them, but I prefer being up-to-date.

S
I'm sorry if you can't see that Sky needs to wake up and smell the streaming revolution. :)

They're well aware. Why else do you think they've launched a product that behaves more like a streaming service than a traditional TV STB service?

Last edited:
Associate
I've just placed an order for SkyQ Silver

I'm currently paying £52.25/month for Sky + a multiroom box, The new SkyQ package is £54/month and i've ordered an extra multiroom box (e.g. 3 boxes)

From my point of view it seems to be "cheaper" (personally if it were up to me I'd ditch Sky completely, but I'd get an ear full from the others in the house)

Back
Top Bottom