Dreams V Memories

Soldato
Is this unusual?

I have a ****-load of memories that I cannot place.

They may be dreams, but they may also possibly be memories of actual distant long forgotten events.

Some of these "Memories" go back a very long way (Pre-teens)

Some of them are nevertheless very vivid.

(I should point out that I am in my mid-50's, I would not expect somebody in their 20's/30-'s to have similar concerns)

There is nothing particularly nasty here, It is just that I am troubled that I don't seem to be able to trace these memories to other events in my life!

The discontinuity is actually very disturbing.

Does anybody else experience this or is it really just me? :p

Caporegime
I am 20, so can't say from experience if this is commonplace, but it sounds perfectly normal to me... :)

Even I sometimes get dreams confused with reality, but I eventually figure out if it was a false memory.

Caporegime
I have real difficulty sometimes distinguishing between dream and memory. Its often when I dream about mundane things. A couple of times I have wondered why I never got a reply to an email or spend a while trying to find it in my Sent items before it dawns on me that I dreamt sending it. I've also started conversations about things (such as having bought tickets for something) and then realised I it didn't happen when it dawns on me that I don't have all the information (like what the tickets were actually for).

I'm not yet 30 and I have pre warned the GF that I'm heading for dementia. I just wish that if my brain was going to make up stuff, it would make up cool fun things, rather than having sent a dull email :(

Man of Honour
Some things are better connected in memory than others but most of it is probably still there - at some point something might trigger a recollection of surrounding events, etc. placing the whole thing in your life.

Go home you're drunk

Harsh post.

50-dkp-minus-1329948502_zps8m0ev8xp.jpg

Soldato
OP
Go home you're drunk

That is the easy explanation.

It doesn't work however!

(On the occasions,When to my shame, I was in the habit of drinking myself into oblivion (20 years ago) I could still nevertheless do a pretty good rendition of Eratosthenes sieve (Prime numbers). It was the way my boozing buddy's kept me conscious!:cool: (How far up the sieve can you go?)

(Most of them didn't know what I was talking about but it did the job anyway)

I know when I am Drunk!

These memories are not the same!

They are real memories! Whether they are memories of actual events or whether they are memories of dreams I do not know.

THAT is the problem!

Man of Honour
It may be false memory syndrome, you could be adapting bits of information that you know happened and incorporating them into your real memories. There's a short BBC article here which gives some context, also if you happen to be in London there's a bit at the Wellcome Trust about it (it may also be in Penzance as the article says but I know there's one in London).

Back
Top Bottom