is there a phone yet to rival the z ultras screen?

Associate
the sony z ultra has a 6.4" screen. the rest of the phone is "meh" by now but cant bring myself to downgrade to a newer phone (in terms of size).

even the note 5 (not out here afaik) is sub 6" but is also lacking a mSD slot which is a "must have" for me. as is root access.

there's random phones on 'zon, some claiming to be 10" phablets but need something the guys at XDA will look after for a while.

had this since oct 2013 (i think) and never come close to this long with the same phone before.

Associate
Sadly I have not found any comparable devices.
I still wait and hope for Sony to release a new revision of the Ultra with better specs. One can dream it would contain:
SD820, 4GB Ram, mSD, 20mp (flash camera)
And ideally 4K 6.4" screen.
In the mean time. I'll keep my Galaxy Note.

I am sure you have considered
Factory reset and a new battery to freshen
and speeding up your Ultra?

Last edited:
Associate
I'm in the same boat

My ultra is running as smooth as the day I first booted it up.

It's been droped slept on water proof tested and its never failed.

I wish Sony had a newer version I wouldn't even think.

I'm now looking at keeping it ona cheap sim only deal and getting a 'proper' tablet as another line - purely cause it makes sense

Associate
OP
i bought a 2nd hand lg g3 yesterday as a spare and with good timing. my ultras been getting funny. locking at random.

now sonys software wont recognise it to try and flash their way to stock.

going to have to have a look at xda.

as far as newer phones go - there's rumours of a new ultra and a galaxy 7 coming out soon

Associate
OP
well, in meantime i flashed my ultra from 4.1.2 (i think) to 5.1.1.

not worth selling the thing really, places only offer £20. better off keeping it as a small tablet

oh, bought the s7 edge. getting it in store on tues and wil have a day to mess around with that VR stuff, as well as figure out if it's worth rooting it or not (so early at least)

Associate
I am on a similar boat as you looking to buy a proper phablet as its great for commuting. I have the Samsung Note 1 for 4 years! and I have my eyes set on the Huawei Mate 8 after I had a look at the 7 back in October. Only problem - for me - is they still haven't released the 4GB Ram version in Europe and the more i wait the more phones come out pff. Plus i refuse to get a new phone with 3gb ram in this day and age when the Note3 had 3gb ram years ago. I want to future proof my self as i tend to keep my phones for quite a lot.

Another contender closer to the size you want would be the LE Eco Max Pro (former Letv) the first that has the 820 snapdragon but again its a chinese phone and don't know if it will ever come officially here. I think it hasn't even released officially yet, only 1000 dev phones have been sold so far.

Oppo R7 Dual - i think - is 6 inches as well and in a week's time they announce the new one oppo R9.

Sony has the C5 Ultra at 6 inches as well but i think not released officially in the UK.

Huawei is announcing the p9 on April and there is rumour that the Max version instead of it being a 6.8inch like last year, its going to be 6.2. Finger's crossed as i think 6.8 was too much, and i love massive phones they are great for the bus, but need to be able to put it in my pocket :p. Mind you last year the P8 lite and the normal came officially in UK the max never did so we don't know if Huawei will do the same this year.

Out of the above the mate 8 is a flagship and has the fastest - till now - processor surpassing in user experience the S6 and note5 and there is a youtube comparison video with the s7 that it is on par in most aspects. Mind you the gpu is not as good, but for my usage i have a vita for commuting gaming needs..

The Oppo and C5 are more mid range phone but also the price is a lot cheaper. I think the C5 had issues with the battery though..

Last edited:
Associate
OP
in the end i just bit the bullet and bought the s7 edge with the free VR thingy (havent tried it yet). so much snappier than my old sony. will do me 2 years i think

Caporegime
Sadly I have not found any comparable devices.
I still wait and hope for Sony to release a new revision of the Ultra with better specs. One can dream it would contain:
SD820, 4GB Ram, mSD, 20mp (flash camera)
And ideally 4K 6.4" screen.
In the mean time. I'll keep my Galaxy Note.

I am sure you have considered
Factory reset and a new battery to freshen
and speeding up your Ultra?

A 6.4 inch 4K screen, just...why?

Soldato
Xiaomi announced a 6.44" phone, the Mi Max, seems like a worthy upgrade from the Z Ultra: http://www.androidcentral.com/xiaom...-644-inch-fhd-display-4gb-ram-4850mah-battery

1080p 6.44" screen
Hybrid dual SIM (one slot can be used for a microSD)
Up to 128GB storage
Top end version uses a SD652
4GB RAM
16MP camera + 5MP front
FP sensor on the back
4850mAh battery

Looks like a phone worth upgrading to for you Z Ultra lovers... if you don't mind Xiaomi's MIUI skin :p.

Back
Top Bottom