Win7 Installation - sata drivers not pickign drives?

Soldato
Morning, my first post like this for sometime....

So I recently acquired a GB-z77-3dh mobo for a new system build. The issue I am having at the moment is that I am trying to install Win7 from usb but when it boots to the installer and looks for drives it asks for extra device drivers. (it does mention about no optical drive being present - which there isn't)

I put the SATA and chipset drivers I could find from the GB website onto another usb and attempted to load them but they did not find the HD.

When I browse for additional drivers the HD does show up on the list so it does know the drive is there.

I know the drive is fine as it had ubuntu and then Win10 on it which both worked fine without an issue.

Is this a case for slipstreaming drivers? but then if this is the case then why did the drivers no work in the first place?

Can any one help in this one how to get it to install.

(the reason i'm doing win7 is to then install win10 on top as a fresh win10 installn doesn't work with a win7 key.)

Soldato
I put the SATA and chipset drivers I could find from the GB website onto another usb and attempted to load them but they did not find the HD.

Just go into the BIOS and put the SATA drives into Compatible mode.

(the reason i'm doing win7 is to then install win10 on top as a fresh win10 installn doesn't work with a win7 key.)

The recent ISO does allow you to use the Windows 7 key.

Soldato
OP
Right, update.

Installed WIn7 then upgrade to 10 (was happening as I was doing the last posts) and all OK when the SATA bios was changed to IDE, change the bios to AHCI and then a boot error - presumably from no drivers?! which I thought would have been installed.

Going to try and do some more tonight if I get chance like download and install specific drivers before rebooting. but have I missed anything?

Associate
and all OK when the SATA bios was changed to IDE, change the bios to AHCI and then a boot error - presumably from no drivers

set back to ide, ms have a tool to change registry to run windows in ahci mode, run it switch bios to ahci

Associate
If I remember correctly, you need to have a specific fix file added to the files (or patched into the image or what not) when installing windows 7 using a USB drive (one or more motherboard manufacturers mention this in the product information on their websites).

Also if what I've heard is correct, going from IDE to AHCI is going to cause issues which will require a reinstall of the OS but as has been stated above, there are alternatives to a boot drive nuke and OS reinstall.

Soldato
If I remember correctly, you need to have a specific fix file added to the files (or patched into the image or what not) when installing windows 7 using a USB drive (one or more motherboard manufacturers mention this in the product information on their websites).

XP maybe, but definitely not Vista/7/8/10. Given the OP is using Z77 board with Intel sata ports, there really should have been no issue at all. I've installed windows 7 from USB keys in AHCI mode on various Intel boards (P35/H61/H81).

Associate
Morning, my first post like this for sometime....

So I recently acquired a GB-z77-3dh mobo for a new system build. The issue I am having at the moment is that I am trying to install Win7 from usb but when it boots to the installer and looks for drives it asks for extra device drivers. (it does mention about no optical drive being present - which there isn't)

When I browse for additional drivers the HD does show up on the list so it does know the drive is there.

I know the drive is fine as it had ubuntu and then Win10 on it which both worked fine without an issue.

Is this a case for slipstreaming drivers? but then if this is the case then why did the drivers no work in the first place?

Can any one help in this one how to get it to install.

Sounds like you are trying to install W7 using a USB3 socket, use a USB2 socket instead.

Stoner81.

Back
Top Bottom