The Ugly gene-Why are there Ugly people?

Soldato
OP
How would you know someone was pretty if there wasn't someone ugly to compare them against?

Simple duality theory... you need the opposite to realise a difference.

It's heavily subjective anyway... there are many "pretty" celebrities I find less attractive than your average horse...

That is another part of the dynamic.

Ever noticed how Pretty girls often team up with an ugly best friend for a night out?

The Ugly girl makes the pretty one look even better, and the ugly girl still has a chance of getting the pretty girls cast offs!

Everybody wins!:D

Soldato
OP
Am I in the right forum?

Can't believe some of these posts, die hard evolutionists or what. No heart whatsoever, just base dog eats dog instinct. I thought more people in here were individualistic, had some good values installed into them and didn't necessarily follow the herd mentality.

Evolution drives everything that we do, even smart people are still driven by it.

Sociobiology explains quite a lot of Human behaviour (especially at the more unpleasant end!)

EG Consider the fact that in the cases where Men kill their partners babies/very young children#, they are almost never the genetic Father and the Woman generally does little to prevent him from doing so. Now consider the behaviour of Lions taking over a new pride and how the Lionesses react to it!

(#Women will more readily defend older children because they have made a greater investment in them. It is generally only young ones that get killed in these scenarios)

For all our supposed smarts, we are still only "But Monkeys Shaved"

Soldato
Am I in the right forum?

Can't believe some of these posts, die hard evolutionists or what. No heart whatsoever, just base dog eats dog instinct. I thought more people in here were individualistic, had some good values installed into them and didn't necessarily follow the herd mentality.

Indeedy, this is exactly why I wind them up with pictures of Hattie Watson in the Random Image Thread, their form genetics doesn't handle that kind of thing very well, whereas functional genetics does.

Soldato
It is interesting to note that most (if not all) of the Women that a mate of mine, working for the DSS many years ago, used to refer to as “SB's” (Sperm Banks! Single women with five or more children all by different fathers) tend to fall far well short of being anywhere near Oil Painting grade!

Yep, they are called Chubby Chav's.

Soldato
You must also consider the genetic lottery, you don't know how your two genes will mix. Look at Liv Tyler and Chelsea Tallarico, they both take after their mothers but both also have Steve Tyler features but somehow are still hot. It is the opposite of my point but I'm sure there must be 2 reasonably or good looking parents who spawned and ugly child I just can't think of one.

Associate
Beauty is generally a modern construct to the degree that if you could take down a mammoth solo like a boss then it didn't matter if you looked like Andre the giant. Ability to survive and provide would always trump physical appearance until now we get thick as **** celebrities one step away from a Darwin award who are praised for their beauty despite having no other redeeming features.

Associate
I think its a fair assessment to say that as our attitude has shifted in the last millennium to what we value, our consciousness is definitely in tune with the safety of good finances which I think plays a part in picking a mate perhaps more than people are willing to admit (although OP eluded to it)

That being said this does go against the changes that our body goes through at a chemical level when we have encounters with attractive members of our preferred sex with your adrenaline, dopamine & seretonin going bonkers at times... Just something to consider.

Soldato
We're all fugly. Skin wrapped around flesh wrapped around bone. Our bodies producing hair, bacteria and sweat. Our bodies absorbing polutants around us. Males enjoy putting a part of their's inside another which could have lots of bacteria etc. Our bodies pushing out waste. Ewww, it's all disgusting.

:D

How one appears is shallow :)

Soldato
Physiognomy is affected by how your facial, neck and skull muscles pull also by teeth, diet, accident or illness not just genes, all of the listed factors are also affected by psychology.

Back
Top Bottom