Router with particularly strong WIFI

Soldato
I've only installed mu Unifi Pro But its a vast improvement
Unified ap

Yellow is next doors VM
The othe VM is my 2g
Netgear is my WNR4000

And the AP is my new toy:D:D
Ubiquiti UAP-AC-PRO UniFi AC1750 Indoor/Outdoor Simultaneous Dual-Band WiFi PoE Access Point (1750Mbps AC)

Mud

Mud

Soldato
OP
Got my second LR installed...and to be honest I may need a third for the living room. In for a penny...

Daft question - I've currently got the unifi jobbies on channels 6 and 11, if I get a third then I'll be using most of the available 2.4GHz bandwidth just on my network...is this the normal state of things with these arrays of WIFI units, or should I be putting them on the same channel?

Mud

Mud

Soldato
OP
Can't you just leave them on auto and let them sort it out? I think that's how I configured them in the past without any problems.

Could try and see what it does, although I have the luxury of only 1 immediate neighbour so can lock it in. The question is a bit academic perhaps, just wondering if these WIFI arrays are greedy so to speak.

Associate
Could try and see what it does, although I have the luxury of only 1 immediate neighbour so can lock it in. The question is a bit academic perhaps, just wondering if these WIFI arrays are greedy so to speak.

Yes it is ideal to have them separate, find out what channel the neighbour is on and put the furthest away AP on that channel then there will be no interference.

If you were to need more than 3 you will have to have the APs on the same channel at opposite sides of the house.

Soldato
My house is a small 2 bed room house. All internal walls are plasterboard and MDF. Will a TP Link 9980 router provide enough coverage, or will a unify AP and a cheaper VDSL router be better?

Option 1 - VDSL2 Router/Modem with a good built in WiFi:
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/tp-l...and-gigabit-vdsl2-modem-router-nw-167-tp.html

Option 2 - Cheap VDSL2 Router/ Modem coupled with a UniFy Lite AC AP:
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/tp-l...sb-vdsl2-modem-router-td-w9970-nw-180-tp.html
http://www.broadbandbuyer.com/products/23763-ubiquiti-uap-ac-lite-uk/

Last edited:
Soldato
I also want to hijack this thread.

I've just moved into an annex with the internet connection being in the main house. Maybe 10m from the router through 1 internal partition wall and 1 brick (that was an exterior) wall.

I get between -70 and -80 dBm on wifi analyzer for the most part which is fine on my phone but my laptop really struggles even just loading web pages.

Currently have a BT Home Hub 3 in the main house and looking for a sensible way to either increase wifi signal from the start i.e replace the HH3 or get something in the annex to boost the signal. Powerline adapters may not work as there is some extremely sketchy wiring going on between the properties and I don't need something with super high speed seeing as I don't have Infinity.

Thoughts?

Mud

Mud

Soldato
OP
What did you do to get Ethernet to the Unifis in the end? I'm in a similar situation but running Cat5 isn't practical.

I trialled the location for the second unifi on the end of a long cable, and have just drilled a 10mm hole (and crimped my first RJ45 connector) to tidy things up :)

unifi.jpg

I may hide it under a deep frame, but it is far less offensive looking than I'd suspected.

Soldato
I'd also prefer the ceiling if there's a route for the cable. There's got to be a rational reason for the placement.

For a domestic install I'd have disabled the lighting ring (it was an option on the models I've used).

Mud

Mud

Soldato
OP
I didn't want it looking like a giant smoke detector, and I really didn't want to mess with the ceilings right now...I like it though :)

E: should also say the ceilings are extremely low, so losing even a little height can be a problem.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom