Valuing a piece of land to sell to our neighbour

Soldato
+1
I don't know about anyone else but I serious value my good neighbours. Be reasonable.
A 'good' neighbour wouldn't have designed their extension so it requires part of their neighbours property....last time I checked (might have changed since we did our extension) you were supposed to be 1m from your boundary not 1m into your neighbours garden.

Caporegime
Except this isn't a business, it's his neighbour. Attitudes like yours are why this country is in such a sorry state. Nobody is interested in cooperating with others, only looking at what they can exploit from the situation à la benefit claimants, compensation chasers, BTL land lords thinking they're Alan Sugar. Amounts to nothing more than smug and complacent selfishness.

How about practising some British decency and civility for a change.

you have missed the whole point.

he didn't need to build an extension in which he has to increase his boundaries. he could have you know done the "decent" thing and built it on his own property like everyone else does.

personally i think his neighbour is taking advantage of him and he's the one who is going to cash in on it too big time.

practising British decency and civility? wtf does that mean? was it decent of the british to sell slaves? was it decent of the british to massacre inncocent unarmed men, women and children all over the world? does nobody else in the world have decency apart from the British?

your whole vision of britain is skewed. the decent thing would be not to plan an extension which involves stealing your neighbours land. no but that would have been too hard wouldn't it?

he doesn't NEED his neighbours land he WANTS it. Therefore he should pay a premium anything else then OP should just tell him to go in dry.

Caporegime
A 'good' neighbour wouldn't have designed their extension so it requires part of their neighbours property....last time I checked (might have changed since we did our extension) you were supposed to be 1m from your boundary not 1m into your neighbours garden.

spot on

i've never heard something so ridiculous before.

Soldato
Sorry if i missed it but has the neighbour got planning permission yet for this build? Surely not if it requires some of your land??

Caporegime
Sorry if i missed it but has the neighbour got planning permission yet for this build? Surely not if it requires some of your land??

i doubt it sounds like a cowboy builder tbh.

i personally wouldn't want such a person making any extension near me. god knows what other shortcuts he has taken. he won't be a qualified architect and not know any of the new regulations regarding building such a thing.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
I think you are severely undervaluing this.

I just completed an extension and if my plans were riding on even a small parcel of neighbouring land i would probably have been prepared to pay a low 5 figure sum at least for it.

Soldato

You can get planning permission on things you don't own. You might do so before buying a house, for example. Or before buying a piece of your neighbour's garden (could be a wasted purchase otherwise)

Soldato
I think the OP needs to clear some things up

- has the neighbour got planning permission for the building of extension?
- has the neighbour approached you directly to request the land or via solicitor
- what have you paid out/cost so far?

You need to think about charging him at least the cost of the whole process to you (i.e you should most certainly NOT be out of pocket from this, all relevant solicitors/land register/paperwork fees etc)

Also any new fencing/landscaping of areas that are damaged or changed during the "build"

I agree with above - seems very presumptuous of the neighbour that you will give up your land to him. I can't imagine not approaching my neighbours without a full and proper discussion/plans/drawings etc.

Soldato
your whole vision of britain is skewed. the decent thing would be not to plan an extension which involves stealing your neighbours land. no but that would have been too hard wouldn't it?

he doesn't NEED his neighbours land he WANTS it. Therefore he should pay a premium anything else then OP should just tell him to go in dry.

The OP already stated the piece of land in question is not important or a significant amount. People on here are actively advocating they exploit the situation to profit from his neighbours request. Instead of being reasonable about it.

Frankly if the OP isn't interested simply deny the request, then you're still being civil and decent, and not a lowly money grabber.

Soldato
OP
Sorry only just caught up with the discussion!

So we are on good terms, he has planning permission, and approached us in advance of all of this. I have been clear since the outset that I was not sure of the value so would get back to him to which he was happy with.

Have had the solicitors fees confirmed so am inclined to go with £1,500 plus all fees. Sound fair? I certainly don't want to take advantage of the situation but given the noise etc over the next 6 months this seems compensation enough.

Soldato
Sorry only just caught up with the discussion!

So we are on good terms, he has planning permission, and approached us in advance of all of this. I have been clear since the outset that I was not sure of the value so would get back to him to which he was happy with.

Have had the solicitors fees confirmed so am inclined to go with £1,500 plus all fees. Sound fair? I certainly don't want to take advantage of the situation but given the noise etc over the next 6 months this seems compensation enough.

how did he get planning permission before actually getting the land he needs to build on:confused::confused:

Where did you get £1500 from? Why that figure?

I would go for solicitors fees, plus any new fencing/landscaping required, plus £X. Don't sell yourself short and end up regretting it.

Have you considered any "negative" effect it will have on the value of your home in the future?

Soldato
Honestly I don't think you're looking at the 'big picture'. And in no way should you be paying legal fees, doing any of the fence work and they must cover the cost of any damage etc done to your garden during the changes.

Ignore being neighbours etc.

You are giving up some of your land, now it doesn't sound like much but it is part of the value of your property if you ever were to sell it (hence the mortgage revalue). It will devalue your house value selling it, not to mention the 'extension' will likely make your house less desirable if it is overlooked or blocks out the light etc.

Then you've got noise issues which to be fair you'd have whether he was coming onto your land or not but there are regulations they need to follow for this too :)

I don't know what they house prices are in derby but round this way £1500 wouldn't get much. I also know of someone who got 10k just letting someone put the scaffolding on their side of boundary because the neighbour didn't want the extension.

Look at it more objectively and you'll likely agree that you are undervaluing the piece of land the neighbour wants, like several of us have said earlier, he could have easily kept on his side of the boundary but decided he wants some of YOUR land to increase the value of his home while devaluing your property.

If you didn't sell it to them (still finding it hard to believe that planning got passed without actually owning said land...) they would have to go through planning permissions, architect etc again. Those of us saying 5-10k are not being greedy, we're looking at the larger long term impact on your propery.

Caporegime
The OP already stated the piece of land in question is not important or a significant amount. People on here are actively advocating they exploit the situation to profit from his neighbours request. Instead of being reasonable about it.

Frankly if the OP isn't interested simply deny the request, then you're still being civil and decent, and not a lowly money grabber.

the land is important because it's his and not his neighbours.

you sound like your his neighbour tbh your not looking at any of the disadvantages of the proposal at all.

devaluing his home, smaller garden, new fence needing to be put up, legal fees and all of the stress associated with the proposal and building works.

how stupid is the OP going to feel in say 5 years time he tries to sell his home and it's no longer as desirable and therefore he sells it for £10K less due to a great big extension next door blocking views or sunlight, etc. it's okay though because his neighbour gave him £500 notes he can feel smug knowing he acted civil and decent in your eyes.

like i said before the civil and decent thing would be that he didn't plan an extension which required acquiring his neighbours land. it's such a bizarre proposal and your suggesting he gives it away is laughable.

you should move to china it doesn't sound like a capitalist society suits you, btw that is what britain is a capitalist society. supply and demand. he's not forcing his neighbour at gunpoint. his neighbour can simply reject the price albeit you think it's okay for him to reject the proposal but not to charge a decent price bit of a hypocritical statement as his neighbour can simply reject the price and build a smaller extension.

Soldato
Except this isn't a business, it's his neighbour. Attitudes like yours are why this country is in such a sorry state. Nobody is interested in cooperating with others, only looking at what they can exploit from the situation à la benefit claimants, compensation chasers, BTL land lords thinking they're Alan Sugar. Amounts to nothing more than smug and complacent selfishness.

How about practising some British decency and civility for a change.

Conversely his neighbour could have not planned to build on the OP's land?

OP needs to take into account:

• The inconvenience & noise caused due to the building works (from his replies, his partner is at home quite a bit and they have a young child, so this could be significant, e.g. if the child usually sleeps during the day).
  • Any "personal" impact on the OP's property; e.g. loss of space in the garden, loss of privacy, loss of light.
  • Impact on the value of the house due to a) the reduction in land, and b) the proximity of the new extension.

I'd be very surprised if £1,500 even covers the reduction in value of his property in 5-10 years if he comes to sell, never mind any of the other impacts!

Can't type for toffee
Don
Haggisman's post is exactly what I'd be concerned about, implications to the desirability of your house OP.

I'd go in with a high figure say 7-10k with the intention of dumping it straight into the mortgage.

Soldato
As was mentioned above... you don't need to own land to apply for planning permission to build on it.

really:confused::confused:

thanks for the information.

Never knew that - why would you go through planning costs/drawings etc for an extension on land you don't own......:confused:

Seems like your neighbour just expects you to roll over and give him what he wants. Whilst I'm not advocating you hold him to ransom, it still seems extremely presumptuous by him that you'll just give him what he wants.

I would be more inclined to deal with him nicer if he had approached and agreed the sale of the land BEFORE getting plans/drawings and permission from planning to build on your land.

Back
Top Bottom