Refusal to buy games because its not on steam

Soldato
I really like the look of Farcry Primal, however with it being availbale only via uplay I will not buy it.

Anybody else feel the same? I only buy games that are available on steam. uplay is rubbish and origin is not quite as bad, but i would rather not buy games that are not on steam.

I have to say I do. I could have picked up a copy of TW3 that I really want but as soon as I saw it was GOG I thought "no thanks". Not that theres anything wrong with it per se but I just like everything together in one place and its convenient if I swap computers to have one account with one login and password to remember. I've got a few games on a Uplay account I think but I hated using it so much I've long since forgotten the login and password.

Caporegime
if we look at it most of the hate to using something isnt even the system its the people behind it.

so EA we know have made some big mess ups and ubisoft goddamn they the kings :D but steam has also done some shoddy stuff in its time but people just except it as a minority experience.

like charging for skyrim mods :p cough cough.

Soldato
Op, I feel you.

I forego most so called "AAA" games nowadays owing to stupid DRM.

Steam is DRM I find acceptable.

Origin is similiar I guess, but I have been against EA since the days of the EA Downloader which was a shambles so just call me stubborn but I see less added value comparing Origin to Steam. EA say they are all about choice for gamers, let me buy on Steam then?

uPlay - A farce. Their Steam implementation is stupid. Double DRM is not a "Win".

I prefer to purchase DRM free from either Humble Store or GOG nowadays where possible.

If is a Steam "Exclusive", so be it, Steamworks API can offer some nice benefits.

Anything else, I just give it a miss.

Associate
Uplay isn't as bad as it once was - it's certainly not in the same league as the horror-show that was GfWL at it's nadir.

I just don't trust Ubisoft. I can't help but feel that if their platform gets any significant traction / presence then they'll do something stupid / greedy. Same goes for Origin.

Associate
I don't care, which ever is cheapest. Steam, Uplay, GOG, Origin, retail. As long as I buy the game.

Many PC gamers are so attached to the Steam, trapped like the people in the Apple Ecosystem with iPhones.

"Don't want to buy X game because its the Windows Store!!! Not going to buy it because its not on Steam!!!Steams the best!!!Everything else is terrible!!!" :rolleyes:

Obviously those people wasn't around during the Half-Life 2 release date.

This is it. The fervour is very much like the Apple fanboyism: disregarding anything that isn't their ideal brand.

It's quite amusing when they're prepared to pay more, accept slower download speeds, the worst customer service this side of CEX and, of course, that data breach. But each to their own and part of the Valve circlejerk.

Associate
Origin is similiar I guess, but I have been against EA since the days of the EA Downloader which was a shambles so just call me stubborn but I see less added value comparing Origin to Steam. EA say they are all about choice for gamers, let me buy on Steam then?

They won't let you buy on Steam for the exact reason Valve won't let you buy Half Life, CS, L4D2... on Origin/Uplay or any other platform.

Permabanned
Makes no sense to me. I can understand wanting all games in one place as a preference, but to completely miss out on a game just because it's not available on your one chosen launcher seems silly. Does it really matter what program you have to launch the game from?

+1

I try to get on Steam when I have a choice but I do own U-play and Origin account which both have about 20 games. Thats due to Far cry and Assassins creed on U-play and Battlefiend on Origin. Plus Origin give free game on the house, Old ones addmitedly but I link them to my account anyway just in case I ever fancy a trip down memory lane. There's also games like Crysis 3, Dead space 3 and Mass effect 3 that where kept from Steam.

U-play and Origin have improved lately too so using them is no worse than using Steam overall, It's just that one place is better if possible, but it's not, but it should be, but it's not :D

Last edited:
Associate
If I am honest I think thats a really stupid reason not to buy a game. :/ I have 6 different launchers for games I own and don't have them start up when I turn on the computer, I fire them up when I need them. You are making a big deal out of nothing.

Last edited:
Permabanned
"Don't want to buy X game because its the Windows Store!!! Not going to buy it because its not on Steam!!!Steams the best!!!Everything else is terrible!!!" :rolleyes:

Obviously those people wasn't around during the Half-Life 2 release date.

From what I've read the Windows store is very different to others blocking access to game files which as certain people on this forum found out with ROTTR that stops you from implementing workarounds used to fix issues while waiting for official fixes, Basically what Microsoft is doing isn't the way forward for PC gamers, It's locking you in at there mercy just like they have with X-boxers. I don't want that and neither should you.

Steams far from perfect, for example a big plus is meant to be being able to run games offline, Although it works here's a problem I found a while ago when I had a few days of no connection.

I forget what but something happened causing a system reboot and when I rebooted Steam required me to sign in again and would not let me without an internet connection meaning I couldn't play any of there off-line games forcing me to use dvd games I own for a few days until my connection was fixed.

Soldato
i only use steam, had too many bad experiences with other ones being hacked, or just rubbish, i tend to use cd key sites for new releases as steam prices are normally a joke

Associate
What makes Origin worse than Steam? Origin seems fine to me. It has a library with game covers, playing time, friends list. Updates automatically.

What am I missing?

Associate
ive just downloaded uplay as well lol I said I would never use uplay but want to try the division beta so had to be done,,,origin and steam are my faves though

Soldato
The only thing which got me annoyed to the point of mouth frothing regarding all these games clients/drms and whatnot, is when you bought a game, loaded it up, and the frrst thing it did was ask you to log on to Games for Windows Live. What an absolute phaff that was! Anything other than that I'm simply not bothered about. I just use the non steam clients as and when, and otherwise have steam running all the time.

Soldato
I won't buy anything these days unless it's on Steam. I don't mind if it's an Ubisoft game that I can download and launch from Steam, that'll automatically open uPlay and authenticate the game or whatever, but if it's solely on uPlay/Origin, I won't be playing it.

Back
Top Bottom