Dell XPS 13 Range

Soldato
I had a look at one of these the other day and was pretty impressed by it's fit/finish, the slim display bezels make it seem tiny despite the 13" screen and the keyboard trackpad are fantastic as well.

The only thing I didn't like was the heavy AG coating as the one I tried was fitted with the 1080p matte display. I know this has it's advantages in some instances but if I went for one I'd definitely pay the extra £200 for the glossy QHD touchscreen display.

Speaking of which how do owners find the touchscreen display? Is is something you ever use?

Caporegime
I have the previous XPS13 (2013) with the touch screen and never, ever use it. The only time it ever gets used is when someone accidentally touches my screen while pointing at it.

And the glossyness is awful there have been times when I've had to go and seek out another desk away from sunlight as I can't see the screen.

The high gloss, QHD touchscreen is shiny and pretty and geeky cool as a gadget, but utterly uselss in the real world. I'm replacing my 13 with an XPS15 with the non-touch FHD display.

Caporegime
I suppose mine is a work laptop. Touchscreen doesn't really offer much in Excel and while coding :p

If it was used for a lot of personal stuff I might have a different view. I still don't think Id want the glossy screen either way though.

Soldato
the xps 15 allows to configure an I7/ 16GB ram with an HD matt screen

the xps 13 doesnt.. if you want I7 you have to get the UHD screen/gloss/touch

Last edited:
Soldato
the xps 15 allows to configure an I7/ 16GB ram with an HD matt screen

the xps 13 doesnt.. if you want I7 you have to get the UHD screen/gloss/touch

There was a configuration of the XPS13 that got you an i7 6560u and FHD. I got it last week and returned it today. Couldn't stand the adaptive brightness and lack of ability to disable it.

Dunno why Dell have removed it from the line up though.

Associate
There was a configuration of the XPS13 that got you an i7 6560u and FHD. I got it last week and returned it today. Couldn't stand the adaptive brightness and lack of ability to disable it.

Dunno why Dell have removed it from the line up though.

I got a dell xps 13 hmmm 2-3 years ago. And I was able to disable the adaptive brightness; ya was annoying but it stays bright ... well when its plugged in bit dim when it is not.

Associate
OP
Missed the delivery yesterday but just picked it up from the sorting office. First thoughts are it is very sleek and snappy but it feels really really tiny. Even when compared to my 13" work laptop. This was to be expected somewhat but I do hope I get used to the feeling and do not start to think I should have got the XPS 15...

Soldato
Missed the delivery yesterday but just picked it up from the sorting office. First thoughts are it is very sleek and snappy but it feels really really tiny. Even when compared to my 13" work laptop. This was to be expected somewhat but I do hope I get used to the feeling and do not start to think I should have got the XPS 15...

If its any consolation I believe the keyboards are the same size in both models. I'm pretty sure i remember reading they both have the same key travel as well, which was one of the pickups for these models. They probably use the exact same keyboard between the two models as they behave and appear so alike.

Associate
OP
If its any consolation I believe the keyboards are the same size in both models. I'm pretty sure i remember reading they both have the same key travel as well, which was one of the pickups for these models. They probably use the exact same keyboard between the two models as they behave and appear so alike.

Indeed I read that the keyboards are more or less the same but I actually really enjoy typing on it so that is not an issue. Thanks for trying to make me feel better though! The purchase coincides with a strong possibility that I will get rid of my desktop and once I saw how small it was concerns about screen size and processing power suddenly became a lot more real.

Having spent a bit more time with the XPS 13 it did not really feel that fast, or at least it was not as responsive as I had hoped it to be, and coupled with the screen size I could see myself getting frustrated with this in the future. Did some research into the XPS 15 yesterday and reckon its a lot more suited to my needs. So, I have ordered one and eagerly await its arrival :D

Back
Top Bottom