Cheating?

Associate
Do dedicated servers combat cheating or is it something that just can't be stopped? It's stopped me playing certain games. Titanfall and BO3 as its just full of them and I can't be arsed to get spawn killed. I play Xbox as well and I would say am an above average player my K/D in titanfall(pc) is 5.0 in halo 5 is 2.0 and 2.5 in BO3 (pic) so I'm not a bad player but it's just got to the point now where I really can't be bothered to be spawn killed and constantly bummed by people cheating

Soldato
Nothing really combats cheating as the anti cheat is on the back foot.

Active admins helps like Battlefield with the metabans although its open to abuse by badmins so its not an ideal answer either.

Permabanned
On dedicated servers it is the discretion of active Admins(s) to ban cheaters that don't get flagged by cheat dection systems. If there are no Admins, poor Admins or even silly !votekick scripts that aren't adaptive to player count or require a high number of players to vote then cheaters will remain on servers.

Caporegime
was a big thread on cheating recently. titanfall wasnt that bad for cheats.the aiming was very good in that game and very easy to hit plus fast.

i played in a few big comps for it.

think i seen maybe 3-5 people and i played it a lot.

Associate
I think games such as GTA 5 could do with dedicated servers for people to cheat in it might mean I can play online and not have my FPS drop to 5 when someone spawns in 100 titans on top of each other.

Associate
I used to admin on a BF2 server (many years back) and it was virtually impossible to catch someone in the act of cheating.

We could take remote screenshots to uncover any dodgy hacks etc, but I don't think I ever got someone. Problem was that some of the other admins were more gung-ho, and after I stood down I'm fairly sure they banned people for 'implausible K/D ratios'. Which IMO is ridiculous.

Man of Honour
I used to admin on a BF2 server (many years back) and it was virtually impossible to catch someone in the act of cheating.

We could take remote screenshots to uncover any dodgy hacks etc, but I don't think I ever got someone. Problem was that some of the other admins were more gung-ho, and after I stood down I'm fairly sure they banned people for 'implausible K/D ratios'. Which IMO is ridiculous.

Yeah unless they are insta snapping to target or blatantly using a wallhack with no attempt to hide it getting solid proof is very difficult.

Its possible to be fairly sure for yourself if someone is cheating or not with enough experience and enough time watching them though - eventually they do screw up enough times you can be sure they are using a wallhack instead of just coincidence, or having a better understanding of the game mechanics than you do, etc. even then you have to be very aware of confirmation bias.

Another give away in FPS games is the connection between their aiming and strafe movement - most players will fine tune their aiming as much with the mouse as with their player position whereas if they are using software to assist aiming a large part of that doesn't happen - however you will sometimes encounter a high level player who has truly separated their movement and aiming cognisance.

When it comes to cheating stats mean pretty much nothing - you will often find people with truly tragic stats using a wallhack, etc. and while they generally suck so badly anyhow the impact of that on other players is generally minimal it is still cheating and will still sometimes get them kills that they shouldn't.

Sadly there is very little that can be done other than having well admined dedicated servers as the cheat authors are almost always one step ahead of the game developers and can dedicate more time to it as well.

Soldato
Overwatch in Counter Strike GO seems like a good solution, anyone that is good enough at the game and has put in enough time can review cases,

Cases are replays of games where a person has been reported for cheating, they get send to random people and if enough of them come back as detected cheaters they get banned.

If you correctly identify a few games you get an exp boost in game as thanks,

I think this is a great system that should be used by more games

Back
Top Bottom