Thin Burgers

Associate
Hoping that one of the culinary wizards here can offer some advice.

I'm trying to re-create the thickness and texture of Mcdonalds / Burger King burger patties, I've previously made 1/4 pound burgers at home using a press, but i'd like to make thinner ones to 1) Cook them more evenly, 2) I prefer a thinner burger.

If i just use less mince in the burger press, it doesn't quite work....

Any tips ?

Man of Honour
Keep the meat as cold as you can and shape it by hand. Add a small dimple to the middle so when the meat expands it ends up as a correctly proportioned disk.

Cook with as high a heat as possible - either a thoroughly heated cast iron skillet or the charcoal chimney "afterburner" method (google this if you're interested).

Getting the texture of a mcdonalds burger will be tough without making something that is pretty grim. If you want that you'll essentially have to cook at a low temperature so the meat is fully overcooked and grey whilst the outside isn't properly browned.

Man of Honour
Not helpful, but why just why. Dry tasteless rubbish. Off all tithe burgers trot try and recreate. *shakes head*

However they have no decernable meat texture to them so probably extremely fine minced.

Just do some onion smash burgers instead.

Man of Honour
Smash burgers are great but definitely not the only option. Smash burgers or not, try getting to a butcher and asking them for 30%+ fat content mince. Aside from that follow all the directions we've given above. You'll be able to get thin burgers with great taste without being dry :)

Caporegime
Thanks, it's not so much recreating the taste, but the thickness without it being dry or tough

Does not compute, if you don't want it to by dry then make a thicker burger. The thicker the better really, get a nice juicy pink inside.

Associate
Oh I did 3 years to become a chef. My dissertation was "burgers and fast food" and did a lot of research into it all which was very interesting. Got to also make other burgers like reindeer burgers, vegetarian ones etc as part of the whole thing. It was great fun and I also got the best mark you can get :)

Soldato
Smash burgers are great but definitely not the only option. Smash burgers or not, try getting to a butcher and asking them for 30%+ fat content mince. Aside from that follow all the directions we've given above. You'll be able to get thin burgers with great taste without being dry :)

yeah we had that problem apparently no one wants unlean mince these days he did sort us out though

Back
Top Bottom