One line thoughts

Man of Honour
Drive a 350bhp Impreza in the wet and you'll get it :)

Except it wasn't a 350bhp Impreza it was a 2 litre diesel 4 Series. My comment was intended in the context of that particular car, of which there now seem to be quite a lot in XDrive form.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
[TW]Fox;29192814 said:
Except it wasn't a 350bhp Impreza it was a 2 litre diesel 4 Series. My comment was intended in the context of that particular car, of which there now seem to be quite a lot in XDrive form.
Quite. Reason why I went with a 2wd A6 - I've had 4wd in the past in my Leon and S3 and it's not worth the trade-off unless you've got lots of power or you live in Alps or Arctic.

Soldato
OP
[TW]Fox;29192814 said:

I drove a 420d Gran Coupe Auto on Thursday, brand new out of the docks, was fine with 2wd so I get your point on that car if it saps the power, but you didn't say "I don't get the obsession with X-Drive" you said 4wd so maybe take the time to post clearer next time ;)

Soldato
image.gif

Nice thread, is the Duke a new Nissan? :p

I once drove in an ML for about 8 hours, didn't feel the drag of the drive at all. The comfort on it for long cruises "is good".

Don
Drove a fiesta 1.0 Ecoboost today, Ford have mastered getting all the worst driving characteristics of a diesel in a petrol car. Endless up and down the box, no power off boost and nasty vibration at low rpm's. Worse still driving it off boost and at 50 mph couldn't get over 47mpg.

I assume you haven't driven a N/A 1.25 Fiesta then? It has no power any of the time and barely manages more than 40mpg.

The Ecoboost is leagues ahead (at least the 125/6spd version in my Focus is).

Soldato
OP
I assume you haven't driven a N/A 1.25 Fiesta then? It has no power any of the time and barely manages more than 40mpg.

The Ecoboost is leagues ahead (at least the 125/6spd version in my Focus is).

I have driven an old 1.25 fiesta, not the new shape. Only new shape up until this one was a turbo diesel which I took my ADI Part 2 in, that was leagues ahead in every way compared to the 1.0 ecoboost. Comparing it to my 1.5 Mitsubishi Colt, it is a pile of crap. The Mitsubishi is faster and I get better MPG.

Not driven a C4 cactus, but I cannot imagine the 82ps one is much fun lol.

Bloomin spell check corrected my Juke spelling haha, will edit it in a mo when I add in the Toyota Prius.....

Last edited:
Don
I have driven an old 1.25 fiesta, not the new shape. Only new shape up until this one was a turbo diesel which I took my ADI Part 2 in, that was leagues ahead in every way compared to the 1.0 ecoboost. Comparing it to my 1.5 Mitsubishi Colt, it is a pile of crap. The Mitsubishi is faster and I get better MPG.

Can't say I am too surprised that the Colt is quicker and has better mpg - it weighs ~150kg less than a new fiesta (mainly due to improved safety - resulting in better NCAP scores, e.g. Colt 4/3/1 vs 5/4/3 for Fiesta - Adult/Child/Pedestrian respectively), and is an older less emission compliant engine (Fiesta Ecoboost is Euro5 compliant).

Whilst it may be that over the last 20 years or so relative performance hasn't improved much (or in some cases regressed), there has been a focus on Safety and Emissions - if there hadn't then performance/efficiency would likely have developed much more.

Personally I am struggling to fault the 1.0 Ecoboost - it delivers 43mpg in my car (Focus is another ~150kg heavier than a Fiesta), without trying on my relatively short commute to work. On a longer run it averages much more than that.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Just picked up a 15 plate 1.0 Ecoboost Focus and it seems a completely different beast to the fiesta, Pulled in 43mpg on a run back from Widnes to Somerset (250 miles) and doesn't have the vibration like the fiesta did, and it doesn't sound like a 2cv. Still would MUCH rather be driving the Bluemotion Golf 1.4 TFSI which managed 54mpg and was a much nice place to be (same class as the Focus, just a much better car in every way cept price I guess). The golf weighs 50kg more than the Focus and has a larger engine as well.

Actually didn't mind driving it at all, so it seems that fiesta may have been in dire need of a service or something.

Mind you I drove there in a 65 plate BMW X5 4.0D and that was a bloomin nice place to be for 4 hours I can tell you! Like I said to the BMW garage I dropped it off to, a nice way to spend 4 hours, he replied, a nice way to spend 70 grand as well :)

Bloody quick for a big ole auto diesel 4x4, I would say nicer to drive than the Merc GL, but not quite as good for driver fatigue/comfort.

Will add these 2 to my list :)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Seems there are several different versions of the Fox 1.0 Ecoboost. The version in the Fiesta was the 99ps and the Focus has the 125ps.

So my opinion of the Fiesta still holds with the 99ps Ecoboost engine.

I am sure both would be better with the 140ps version :)

Soldato
Just picked up a 15 plate 1.0 Ecoboost Focus and it seems a completely different beast to the fiesta, Pulled in 43mpg on a run back from Widnes to Somerset (250 miles) and doesn't have the vibration like the fiesta did, and it doesn't sound like a 2cv. Still would MUCH rather be driving the Bluemotion Golf 1.4 TFSI which managed 54mpg and was a much nice place to be (same class as the Focus, just a much better car in every way cept price I guess). The golf weighs 50kg more than the Focus and has a larger engine as well.

Actually didn't mind driving it at all, so it seems that fiesta may have been in dire need of a service or something.

Mind you I drove there in a 65 plate BMW X5 4.0D and that was a bloomin nice place to be for 4 hours I can tell you! Like I said to the BMW garage I dropped it off to, a nice way to spend 4 hours, he replied, a nice way to spend 70 grand as well :)

Bloody quick for a big ole auto diesel 4x4, I would say nicer to drive than the Merc GL, but not quite as good for driver fatigue/comfort.

Will add these 2 to my list :)

what bhp is that golf 1.4tfsi? is it also ACT engine? same engine as in leon?

i drive mk2 fabia vrs and am looking at leon/golf 1.4tsi as a next car so i'm very interested to hear any more informations

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
2011 BMW 640i Cabiolet Auto - If you have to finish your day at midnight, driving on empty roads, this is a great way to do it ;) 31mpg with spirited driving from a 4L V8, really? Why are you trying to race me in your Leon Cupra FR? bubye now!

Oh the 640i 4.0 V8 edition, a rare beast indeed ;)

Struggling to understand how a turbocharged 6 engine could be mistaken for an N/A V8

Soldato
OP
Oh the 640i 4.0 V8 edition, a rare beast indeed ;)

Struggling to understand how a turbocharged 6 engine could be mistaken for an N/A V8

My Bad, I was thinking about the older 4.0 V8 assumed it was the same motah...

Duh, but I am not a BMW expert, assume makes an ass of u and me, or just me in this case haha.

Still it was ****** fast and sounded great if quiet at full chat :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom