1hr 15mins to do 5 miles

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Move? Buy a Renault Zoe/BMW i3? Get a CBT?

Honestly, there's no way I could live with a commute like yours. What's public transport like?

Soldato
MY dad finally gave up and traveling to work, its not so far but just takes too long so he stays in a hotel during the week and comes home on weekends.

One of the big down sides of living in London.

Soldato
OP i know what you're talking about here!

I work in Salford quays, and live in wigan. The m60 traffic is unbearable. The shortest / fastest road route f9r me is m602 west, to m60 clockwise, to m61 North.

There's an accident just about every night on the m602 because of the huge queue to get onto the m60, it's terrible. I sometimes avoid it by going over Barton bridge.

It actually made me look at getting a motorbike i have become that sick of it, but that's not exactly a safe bet either. Traffic and driver's ability /patience is seasonal and seems to be worse in winter, which is when some bikers take the car instead. It's worth considering though!

Ive ended up changing my chavvy car for a luxobarge (manual though!) and the increase in comfort alone has made a difference.

Also - sat nav it every night. Try tom tom go app, or an up to date Google maps. Do it religiously every night - this is what me and my workmate do, and it helps. Even if you think there's only one way to get home - there will be a quicker route every night... Just use a very smart traffic aware nav to find it!
Tim tom's website doea it for free too.

Push bike?
Ha. No.

Soldato
OP
What luxobarge?

I have a Windows phone with Here Drive app, I dont know if it can divert you depending on traffic but as there are only two routes and both of them are as bad as each other I doubt it will make much of a difference, every time I've tried the alternative route I've ended up wishing I stuck to sitting on the M60

Warburton bridge brings you out at the opposite end of Altrincham, I have been tempted to try it to get home to avoid the M60 though but its 3 or 4 times the distance

Associate
I don't rate the Here drive app - its traffic updates/re-routes don't seem very accurate. On the lookout for a tom tom now as getting fed up of the long commutes.

Soldato
I find the google maps app with navigation to be very good at avoiding traffic as it's updated by Waze but it's still a pain when there is literally only one "main" road (Mway, A or B road) you can be on or alternatively you can take a 1hr diversion resembling a school cross country run over farmers tracks :D

Soldato
I remember when I was working in London and I had no transport. Got family to drop me off then walked back the 12 miles. Took 4 hours but went through some nice parts/parks of London. Did it throughout the week. I must have been mental but I had time to kill so why not lol.

Soldato
I remember when I was working in London and I had no transport. Got family to drop me off then walked back the 12 miles. Took 4 hours but went through some nice parts/parks of London. Did it throughout the week. I must have been mental but I had time to kill so why not lol.

Im waiting for a nice day and my plan is to walk from my parents house in Purley to my place in central London, I think its about 14mies.

Man of Honour
I know the motorbike suggestion has been done to death, and the OP doesn't care for it - which is fair enough, but to the posters above suggesting takes just as long etc...

I have a similar commute from one side of Reading to the other, which can take up to an hour (sometimes 1.5) to do 5 miles - I switched to a 125, then a full licence - 15 minutes from shower to geared up, on bike pointing at road. I often work in a suit, and good "over the top" gear and a folded shirt in my top box means its not 30 minutes door to desk.

I was wondering for you OP - is there any public transport that might speed things up, drive to a train or bus station etc and finish the journey that way ?

Soldato
OP
Not paying for public transport and a car, once again I will deal with the traffic I want a more suitable tool to help deal with it.

Been to loads of dealers today, Skoda, Suzuki, Mazda, Toyota and Nissan and sat in countless cars I think my favorite of them all was the Pulsar which is available with a 1.2 DIG-T engine, I really liked the new Fabia too but its too small :( Lots of thinking and man maths to do

Caporegime
the fact that it takes me 40 minutes to get home from work (15 miles) is annoying enough.

The idea of 75 minutes to do 5 miles is ridiculous, I wouldn't put up with that... Do a CbT and buy a Honda Grom!

Caporegime
I work in Salford quays, and live in wigan.

*snip*

Push bike?
Ha. No.

Well of course a bike is no good for you. Depending on where you are in Wigan that's about 20 miles, which is a long way on a bike, but 5 miles from Irlam to Sale is way more doable. Without knowing exactly where at either end, the canal path would probably be the best bet, or some other off road paths. Even if you just save it for the summer or the dry days it would be a good option.

But meh, it seems like the goal is to buy a car to save wear on his left ankle and clutch plates and just swallow wasting up to two hours a day, so hey ho.

And yeah, it is ridiculous that your choices for crossing the ship canal are Warrington, Warburton Bridge or the mire around the Trafford Centre.

Soldato
I do the M61 M60 journey every morning and, unless I get on the M60 by 6-30, it comes to a standstill. I'm really hoping the smart motorway improvements work or the last 2 years of misery and another 12 months to come will have been all for nothing. :(

Don
Not paying for public transport and a car, once again I will deal with the traffic I want a more suitable tool to help deal with it.

A more suitable tool for the job then surely is something with an auto box and ideally with a decent level of comfort. What about a Honda accord?

Been to loads of dealers today, Skoda, Suzuki, Mazda, Toyota and Nissan and sat in countless cars I think my favorite of them all was the Pulsar which is available with a 1.2 DIG-T engine, I really liked the new Fabia too but its too small :( Lots of thinking and man maths to do

Not sure why you are looking at small petrols, fuel economy isn't going to matter that much, choose something with a decent gearbox that is comfortable, then worry about what size engine it has, in this case.

Back
Top Bottom