Trip to Australia

Associate
Hello,

I am off to Australia soon and will be going to Sydney, Blue mountains, Davistown, Cuffs Harbour. Total stay in the land of Oz is 12 days

I will be spending 4 nights in Sydney, 2 days in Blue Mountains, 4 Days in Davistown, not sure how long I will be in Cuffs Harbour.

Looking for suggestions on what to see and do in the above venues ?

Many thanks

Caporegime
I'd suggest repellant sprays. For the nasties out there.

You know, saltwater crocodiles, freshwater crocodiles, alligators, vipers, adders, sea snakes, spiders, lizards, monitors, great white sharks, tiger sharks, stingrays, scorpions, stonefish, octopus, bees, wasps, jellyfish, snails, bluebottle, lionfish, copperheads, frogs, toads, ants, centipedes, ticks, fleas, mosquitos, bacteria, viruses, dingos and other humans.

Just to be on the safe side. Have a wonderful trip :)

Last edited:

Nix

Nix

Soldato
Sydney:

Opera house; get the ferry to Manly; do the free walking city tour (be at the QE building at about 10.30am); do the Rocks tour (starts around 6.00pm IIRC -- check with any hostel); wander around the CBD; pop in and see the museum/cathedral; go for a walk through the botanic gardens; wander around Darling harbour; check out Paddy's market.

Blue Mountains (Katoomba):

This will take about four hours on the train to get there from Sydney central. There's not much to see in the town but you can do long walks in the national park.

Coffs Harbour:

Didn't go myself (was too cold) but I've heard nice things. I imagine you can do the usual things like surf lessons, etc. there.

Caporegime
I'm off myself later this yr in sept to Brisbane and Gold Coast where my brother lives. Will be there for 2 weeks and planning to go o Sydney for a couple of days.

Just not looking forward to that long ass flight lol

Associate
Well yer goin to God's own country! In Sydney check out Watsons Bay have a swim there or just round in Shark Bay - there is a net though I sometimes turnover in my Tasar and aint never met a shark yet. Doyles fish restaurant is good. Riding the Ferries on the harbour gives one a perspective of the wonderfully city that is Sydney- be sure to go over to Manley. All ferries run from Circular Quay just round from the Opera. In the water jelly fish are the things to watch particularly when you go North - in fact up north its sometimes best to stick to the pool. Thats Coffs Harbour. Nice water. Pity you are not going a bit North up towards the Queensland border to Byron Bay a very laid back place with some pursuing an alternative life style - I sometimes call it weed county.Quite a few artists have made it their home. Them Blue Mountains really do get a blue haze from the sun falling on the Gum Trees -Eucalyptus. You should have a great time pity you are only staying for such a short time .In Sydney check out the situation in respect of an all in ticket (all ferries all buses all trains) one can save

Last edited:
Associate
In blue mountains they have the steepest train ride in the world or something which goes down a cliff (its not that scary but an experience). We went whale watching off brisbane coast but you can probably do that there too it was excellent. We did a tour of the Opera house I wasn't that keen on going but it was a good experience.

Soldato
I'd suggest repellant sprays. For the nasties out there.

You know, saltwater crocodiles, freshwater crocodiles, alligators, vipers, adders, sea snakes, spiders, lizards, monitors, great white sharks, tiger sharks, stingrays, scorpions, stonefish, octopus, bees, wasps, jellyfish, snails, bluebottle, lionfish, copperheads, frogs, toads, ants, centipedes, ticks, fleas, mosquitos, bacteria, viruses, dingos and other humans.

Just to be on the safe side. Have a wonderful trip :)

You forgot the Bogans !

Soldato
The Jenolan Caves are worth a visit whilst in the Blue Mountains, if you're driving then the Jenolan Caves road is a pretty awesome 40ishKM drive through the hills, with next to no one on it. ;)

If not, then there are buses from Katoomba.

Soldato
The zoo in Syndey is amazing. You can't quite hug a koala but you can get up close.

If you're feeling flush, The Quay restaurant is an incredible experience. You're paying for the view but the view over the harbour to the opera house is incredible. The food is very good by Austealian standards too. You need to book waaaay in advance though.

Associate
I haven't got any suggestion as I've barely ventured outside of the M25 but I'd ask that you make a thread and show off your holiday as I'll probably die before I get the chance and I live through others lol.

Soldato
As nice as Sydney is, i got bored after a couple of days there, the shopping is good, loads there, The Rocks is nice to visit, as is Darling Harbour, loads of restaurants and bars there, loads of good architecture too.

Paddys market is worth a visit, that's near Chinatown, then obviously, you've got the bridge and the harbour, theres the art gallery and Mrs McQuaries place with the botanical gardens if that's your cup of tea. As mentioned, Manly beach is nice, we didn't go to Bondi though.

We walked across the bridge to Milsons point, where the views over the city are really good, also, there's an outdoor pool there too, right next to Luna park (the theme park).

We found the metro system was really good, and it works out about £4 each for unlimited travel all day.

Soldato
You forgot the Bogans !

Technically, they could be classified under the "other humans" mentioned... but even that's probably debatable :p

I'd take insurance out against the drop bears though.

I would personally avoid the east coast and see the west coast. Not overly helpful if you've booked flights already ..

I'd personally avoid the west coast and go along the east ;)

Associate
Hello,

I am off to Australia soon and will be going to Sydney, Blue mountains, Davistown, Cuffs Harbour. Total stay in the land of Oz is 12 days

I will be spending 4 nights in Sydney, 2 days in Blue Mountains, 4 Days in Davistown, not sure how long I will be in Cuffs Harbour.

Looking for suggestions on what to see and do in the above venues ?

Many thanks

Bluemountains - http://www.leuracellars.com.au/

Coffs Harbour - beach time / boat trips / big banana / WATCH OUT FOR THE
SPIDERS

Sydney - Don't bother, drive south to Kiama / Kangaroo Valley. Or if you are insistent, Opera Bar then http://www.akisindian.com.au/

Associate
We came back from Sydney a week ago where we spent a week.

1. Bridge Climb, climb the Sydney harbour bridge, we did, and a great experience. a must for me, takes about 3 hours

2. Go and see something at the Opera House, we saw Godspell, great fun

3. The Rocks, at the weekend there is a good (expensive) market in the Rocks, well worth a visit.

4. Black Mountains. we took a coach trip, took 90 mins to get there and a great day out. we did Katoomba, and the steepest railway in the world at I think 'Scenic World' by the 3 sisters. Highly recommended. we went with a company called AAT Kings who were great. on the way back we stopped at a wildlife park where you 'cuddle the koala', and finished up with a boat trip for 50 mins back to the heart of Sydney

5. Taronga Zoo. brilliant. Get a ferry from Circular Key for 10 mins, and then the cable car to the top when you get off. walk back down to the ferry. best zoo I have ever done and amazing views too.

5. Darling Harbour is worth a look one evening too.

Martin

Last edited:
Soldato
If you like beer, this place is a fantastic pub, loads of beers on tap, bottled, and they do nice pizza too.

24693162435_a95a256c97_b.jpg

It's at the rocks.

Associate
A couple people have mentioned different aspects of "Scenic World" in the Blue Mountains (Katoomba). It's an interesting place but is much more child orientated IMO. We spent about half the day in scenic world and if we hadn't gotten dirt cheap entry courtesy of a bundled ticket with one of the bus tours, I'd have been severely disappointed.

Back
Top Bottom