Had 650s Just purchased Hd700s

Soldato
so as in the title just purchased a pair of HD700s & another Arcam IRDAC

to go with the beyerdynamics A20

ive got the hd700s on loan from RS until my shiny pair turn up on Wednesday :)

will tell you my thoughts!:D

so far the difference in bass is very noticable. The HD650s are quite bass heavy, Hd700s are very sharp.

Associate
Whyyyyyyy man whyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!! R.I.P Smogsy's ears 21.2.2015

Just kiddin, sorta :D Nah man I hope you like them, they are so comfortable! Yeah the 650 has a bit of a bass hump but the HD700 lacks bass so bare that in mind, it's a very weird FR but some really enjoy that type of sound!

Let us know your thoughts as you listen further :)

Soldato
Whyyyyyyy man whyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!! R.I.P Smogsy's ears 21.2.2015

Just kiddin, sorta :D Nah man I hope you like them, they are so comfortable! Yeah the 650 has a bit of a bass hump but the HD700 lacks bass so bare that in mind, it's a very weird FR but some really enjoy that type of sound!

Let us know your thoughts as you listen further :)
It took me a Schiit Lyr 2 to tame the HD700 :D

Associate
That won't fix treble issues as its still the dominant aspect of the sound. I've always wondered if adding some foam in the ear cup would do anything for the treble.

Soldato
My god - what on earth do you listen to, to make the HD800's top-end 'horrible'?! :eek:

I know they have a bit of a presence peak, but still... I've fed my HD800s early black metal. I've fed them Venetian Snares at his most abrasively digital. Hell, I've even fed them the mastering abomination that is Death Magnetic. And yet I've never managed to make the HF performance of these cans sound even close to 'horrible'.

Are you a bat-person, come to walk among us? Do I need to sound the [low-frequency] alarms? :D

Last edited:
Associate
Some people's ears are more sensitive than others. While I personally don't think the HD800 has a horrible treble, it is certainly edgy with some sharp peaks. the HD800 isn't as bad as the HD700 in this area though.

The HD800 is almost unlistenable for the music I listen to but that's because the HD800 doesn't really follow the recording it adds to it and for some music this can be unpleasant. The HD800 modded however, is absolutely fantastic.

Soldato
Funny you should say that, as when I 'neutralise' my HD800s with Sonarworks - modding it via software, effectively, rather than hardware - they sound worse, not better; at least in terms of listening pleasure/engagement [which is the aim of nearly all of us here, I think I'm safe in assuming]. But taking all the peaks out makes for better mix/mastering monitors, which is why I do it when I need to.

Out of genuine curiosity [and to see whether or not it's just my 40-year-old ears :D], can you point me towards an example of music you don't like to listen to through HD800s?

Last edited:
Associate
I remember I listened to Nickle Back - How you remind me once and it was pretty painful!

40 is still a Spring Chicken :) Most of my normal music is full of Japanese stuff but the above was something that stood out as the song really isn't that harsh.

Last edited:
Associate
Try that on a set of Grados, if you think the 990's are bad Most Grado 's have a massive bass drop off so it's all massive peaks from then up. I could easily Fry an egg on them.

Back
Top Bottom