Can I cross these white lines to turn right?

Associate
There is a single carriageway NSL near me that goes from two lanes down to one, the road stays the same width leaving a hatched area enclosed by solid white lines, this then turns into a right turn lane

https://goo.gl/maps/uNphhzMhpq62

When traffic is heavy the single lane is a bottleneck and traffic is either stationary or very low speed.

Are you allowed to cross the white line as the traffic is near enough stationary and carry on and turn right? (ignoring it's on a bend and on the brow of a hill)

Soldato
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-hig...for-all-drivers-and-riders-103-to-158#rule129

"Double white lines where the line nearest you is solid. This means you MUST NOT cross or straddle it unless it is safe and you need to enter adjoining premises or a side road. You may cross the line if necessary, provided the road is clear, to pass a stationary vehicle, or overtake a pedal cycle, horse or road maintenance vehicle, if they are travelling at 10 mph (16 km/h) or less."

Associate
Double solid white line? Ignoring the bend and a brow of a hill?

If you read what you actually wrote, I think you may already know the answer!

Associate
OP
I always just sit and wait until the line becomes broken. But frequently one car goes for it and a few others will copy, always just assumed they're impatient and in the wrong

but say further on when the road is straight, the cars in front are stationary and you can see that the right turn lane is clear then what rule would you be breaking?

https://goo.gl/maps/orCEc9aBxcn

Soldato
I'm probably the type of person that would skip that in heavy traffic tbh - but I'd do so knowing fine well I was in the wrong!

Man of Honour
I always just sit and wait until the line becomes broken. But frequently one car goes for it and a few others will copy, always just assumed they're impatient and in the wrong

but say further on when the road is straight, the cars in front are stationary and you can see that the right turn lane is clear then what rule would you be breaking?

https://goo.gl/maps/orCEc9aBxcn

You'd need to be able to argue your case against any police officer that pulled you that your manoeuvre was completely necessary which it isn't and the traffic was indeed stationary which doesn't always just mean moving very slowly it may mean they have to be actually parked up.

Soldato
http://www.drivingtesttips.biz/double-white-lines.html

Slightly out of date as the fine is now 3 points and £100. Seen a few cars pulled for contravening it on motorway slips/joins. It's probably there to protect the right turn from traffic in either direction. I'd just wait until I got to the hatched section and move across correctly, all the while checking my side mirrors for any idiots who decide that the rules of the road don't apply to them!

Soldato
"Hatched markings where the line nearest you is solid
You must not cross a continuous white line to enter a hatched area"
So even if the car(s) in front are stationary, you can't cross the line at this point.

Safer/easier to just sit back, relax, put your radio on, use the heater, play with your cup holders, check your makeup, or whatever it is you car people do and just use the feeder lane. ;)

Associate
I have a feeling police will see the "to enter adjoining premises or a side road" phrase to mean crossing a solid white to immediately turn into a side road (ie. no more than perhaps a car length away), not crossing it to drive up the hatched area 50m to then turn.

Using the hatched area in the streetview link would probably be seen as crossing a solid white to overtake, followed by turning into a side road - I wouldn't take my chances from any more than a couple of car lengths away from the junction.

Soldato
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-hig...for-all-drivers-and-riders-103-to-158#rule129

"Double white lines where the line nearest you is solid. This means you MUST NOT cross or straddle it unless it is safe and you need to enter adjoining premises or a side road. You may cross the line if necessary, provided the road is clear, to pass a stationary vehicle, or overtake a pedal cycle, horse or road maintenance vehicle, if they are travelling at 10 mph (16 km/h) or less."
I think if you'd quoted the very next rule,. it makes it even more clear - referring the the hatching filling that area - the third paragraph is the relevant one:

Areas of white diagonal stripes or chevrons painted on the road. These are to separate traffic lanes or to protect traffic turning right.

If the area is bordered by a broken white line, you should not enter the area unless it is necessary and you can see that it is safe to do so.

If the area is marked with chevrons and bordered by solid white lines you MUST NOT enter it except in an emergency.

Ah. I see ttaskmaster beat me to it!

Soldato
I always thought the chevrons (diagonal white lines in the red zone) were a clear NO go? I'm sure an officer could fine you for overtaking using the chevrons.

Edit: and if I read the whole thread, I'd have known for sure that I was correct :/

Soldato
I always thought the chevrons (diagonal white lines in the red zone) were a clear NO go? I'm sure an officer could fine you for overtaking using the chevrons.

Edit: and if I read the whole thread, I'd have known for sure that I was correct :/
Only if the lines to either side of the chevrons are unbroken. If the lines are broken then it's ... debatable. Depends on the meaning of the word 'necessary'.

Soldato
Only if the lines to either side of the chevrons are unbroken. If the lines are broken then it's ... debatable. Depends on the meaning of the word 'necessary'.

I don't think using "impatience" for grounds to use them will cut it :p

In this case the OP has double solid white lines though. I think we can safely say he shouldn't be using the chevrons to overtake here. I wonder if there is a history of accidents here before they painted those lines... Probably.

Last edited:
Soldato
I tend to interpret situations with broken lines around them as being: you may overtake, but only if you're absolutely certain it is safe to do so.

They usually are in the approach to a right turn filter lane, so you have to be 100% sure no one is about to use that. And of course, if an accident did result, you would be very likely to be considered to blame.

If you're somewhere like this though:
https://goo.gl/maps/b2AYQQpFy3S2

There's one car ahead of you clearly not turning (by which I mean that I wait until they're already level with the filter lane before making any assumption), and no cars oncoming, you've got perfect visibility all around. There's no genuine reason not to overtake. Despite the use of the word 'necessary', and how you might interpret that, I would (and do) happily overtake in this situation.

Soldato
It does make you wonder why the chevrons are painted so far back from that right turn. If its a busy road every evening then why not make it two lanes further back?

Seems pretty obvious it's done so people don't fly round the bend overtaking at 70 only to find someone stopped in front of them trying to make a right turn.

Back
Top Bottom