Had my new Macbook pro retina for a week now. Hate it so far.

Soldato
Arg. I have been a windows user since starting using windows 3. I have almost deliberately stayed away from Mac's, but the only way we could get a decent spec machine was to go Apple due to contract stuff.

I have been using it for a week, and I am finding it a total pain in the arse. Simple stuff just seems to be a nightmare to do. I'm sure part of it is that the keystrokes are slightly different, but the other part is that OSX just seems so dumbed down compared to windows, and things are placed in very odd ways. It's like it's gone form over function.

I feel like I could say the same sort of thing about Windows 8 when i first started using it thanks to the silly start screen. But at least I could be productive. Everything on OSX just seems to hide itself. Things like mounted drives dissappearing if it doesn't find them, and having to remount them. Just so annoying. The file explorer (finder) just seems to be a complete mess. Trying to use a VM and move things between windows VM and OSX is a pain.

Maybe my opinion will change the more I use it, but so far it's not been a good experience.

Soldato
I wanted to write something more in depth, but I couldn't quite find the words, but pepsilol has it summed up. I grew up with Windows like yourself, and my first few weeks with a MacBook weren't great for similar reasons. Now I hate windows, it's a chore to use, and feel a lot more comfortable working on a Mac for all my work.

What virtualisation software are you using for your VM's?

Soldato
Used PC's until I was 20 when I moved to Mac. Like you I found it awkward at first and frustrating but give it another week or two and it'll start to click.

Just set up the MK2 & MM2 paired to my MBP in prep for a new display arriving tomorrow and finding using the mouse a bit of a pain so far but already this evening it's becoming more familiar.

Man up and give it a little more time :p

Soldato
I don't think I could ever have an Apple desktop, but I do enjoy using my Macbook Air. Usually only for a bit of work, browsing here or there, the basics. 'Serious' stuff is done on the desktop and for that I could only have windows.

Man of Honour
Absolutely hate using Windows machines at work now, especially with Windows 10 on my machine at work. It's awful, not intuitive at all and just a ghastly OS.

When I got my first Mac 10 years ago I was just amazed at how simple it was and how it just worked. Everything made a lot more sense the way that it does things, would never go back

Caporegime
Maybe my opinion will change the more I use it, but so far it's not been a good experience.

It will.

things only seem counter intuitive because it works differently to windows. I regularly swap between windows computers at work and macs at home. My mac also has bootcamp so I can boot into windows when I want to work from home.

Seriously, given time to adjust you'll be fine. you can tinker about under the hood of OSX in the unix back end just as you can get advanced with windows. Both systems have a nice cuddly user interface on top and more power hidden within. You just haven't got round to that part in OSX yet.

Soldato
Absolutely hate using Windows machines at work now, especially with Windows 10 on my machine at work. It's awful, not intuitive at all and just a ghastly OS.

When I got my first Mac 10 years ago I was just amazed at how simple it was and how it just worked. Everything made a lot more sense the way that it does things, would never go back

Finder really doesn't make more sense than explorer. Having to google how to do simple things like cut and paste files, or the keyboard shortcut to send something straight to the trash shouldn't be required.

Hxc

Hxc

Soldato
Finder is most definitely worse than Explorer.

However, you work the quirks out eventually, and it becomes the norm.

The biggest sin OSX has is that it STILL does not have integrated window snapping; how can ANYONE be productive without windowsnapping?!

Soldato
There are loads of shortcuts that work just as easy in OSX as Windows.
Use CMD rather than Ctrl and you'll have most of the same features.
CMD+Backspace - Delete, also in Finder
CMD+C - Copy
CMD+V - Paste
CMD+Space Spotlight search, which I use to launch every app on my Macbook

Have a read though here, https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201236

And getting used to Terminal will also help, as it's actually useful compared to command prompt in Windows.

Back
Top Bottom