Dying Light - PC next gen zombie open world game?

Soldato
So less vegetation and a slight reduction in shadow quality (less sharp shadows it seems) for a 30-40 fps boost is your idea of deleting visual features?

Considering the majority of your time in this game is SPRINTING between zombies, I'd consider that decision a massive no-brainer quite frankly. Not to mention the second area of the game has almost no foliage whatsoever anyway. But hey, if you are determined to have something to complain about, have at it.

Indeed I just completed the following and thought it felt like a visual jump from the original (though I imagine largely the setting).

Story is alright though I liked the ending I chose. Gameplay and Buggy are great fun, especially in co-op but that's no surprise given how fun the original was.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Less vegetation? Dunno about that!

veg.jpg

Soldato
This makes me sad :(

So optimization really is just deleting visual features, gg Techland.

Graphics difference in Dying Light the following enhanced edition?

Enhanced Edition: Graphics Downgrade (Again...)
Well that's how optimization can often work in development as well.

Either way, nobody would have been able to tell the difference without seeing a side-by-side and having it pointed out for them. Which is generally how optimization through downgrades are handled. You tone things down to a point where you dont think the reduction in visuals are significant for the performance benefit and move on to the next aspect.

Soldato
Well that's how optimization can often work in development as well.

Either way, nobody would have been able to tell the difference without seeing a side-by-side and having it pointed out for them. Which is generally how optimization through downgrades are handled. You tone things down to a point where you dont think the reduction in visuals are significant for the performance benefit and move on to the next aspect.

To be fair, there's a noticeable difference if someone wants to nitpick but I don't think the amount of vegetation adds significantly to the visuals in a game where you spend most of the time running from or fighting with zombies. It sure as hell was the last thing on my mind when I spent my first night in Harran trying not to crap my pants (and I'm told it gets much, much worse later on):p

Besides, the game doesn't look that great anyways (partly due to apocalyptically overdone CA) and extra performance is always welcome.

Soldato
To be fair, there's a noticeable difference if someone wants to nitpick but I don't think the amount of vegetation adds significantly to the visuals in a game where you spend most of the time running from or fighting with zombies. It sure as hell was the last thing on my mind when I spent my first night in Harran trying not to crap my pants (and I'm told it gets much, much worse later on):p

Besides, the game doesn't look that great anyways (partly due to apocalyptically overdone CA) and extra performance is always welcome.
http://www.nexusmods.com/dyinglight...age=1&sort=DESC&pid=0&thread_id=2618809&pUp=1

To get rid of the CA. It means no online and no use of the new post processing filters, but it does make the game look a lot better.

And just a note, you've also gotta turn off film grain if you want to use this, which it doesn't note in the instructions.

I heard that since the updates this game isn't balanced for solo play, is this correct?
I wouldn't say that at all. Depends on what settings you use, but I do think the game is tougher than before. Which isn't a bad thing, in my opinion.

Associate
Is anyone else having a problem with the progress bars on agility or other attributes no longer gaining XP? I've seen it mentioned on the forums but it's a little frustrating!

Soldato
Hands down one of the most frustrating and unfair games I've ever played. Human opponents have ridiculous health and agility and can block 80% of your attacks. I suppose Techland wanted to make the game more "realistic" by making you constantly feel in danger but why the hell doesn't it apply to other human beings? Since when does it take 15 hits to the head with a PICKAXE to kill a single thug and why said thug is able to block it countless times with a BLOODY CLEAVER? Why doesn't he get tired like me?:p

And don't even get me started on losing survivor points on each death because the game failed to register that I wanted to grab a ledge or because I was jumped by a pack of virals appearing out of nowhere.

Virals are annyoing as ****. Not scary, just annoying with all that stupid screaming and running around. And the other special zombies, especially those big ones with sledgehammers with ridiculous amount of health and those green goo spitting *******s, are simply preposteous and shouldn't even be in the game. They just look out of place.

Yet despite all of this I'm 28 hours into the game with 52% story completion and a lot of sidequests to finish:D It's strangely gripping and fun to play. I paid around 7 quid for it and already got more mileage out of it than out of Rise of the Tomb raider which was significantly more expensive:p

I think my level is high enough, so I might start The Following for a change of pace, go back to complete the main game after a while and then jumb back into the expansion:p

Associate
So, just completed the expansion and I'm really on the fence. Hard for me to say this as I loved the main game but this was a real mixed bag for me. I'll just list the pros and cons I guess.

Pros:
Gameplay is still solid and the mechanics are spot on as expected, much as they were in the main game.

The addition of the vehicle. Admittedly I was apprehensive about this but they implemented very well. I liked scavenging for fuel and parts to repair, maintain and even upgrade the car. The driver levelling was also nicely done and it felt surprisingly fluid and responsive to drive too.

The change of scenery was nice and the countryside looked pretty stunning in places giving a welcome break from jumping between buildings and forcing you to mix up your playing style a little as there are very few places to hide here.

Cons:
Although the change was nice, the map at times felt a little too big. There was a lot to do but not enough to justify the sheer size of this place. It could have been condensed just a little.

The car may have been a nice addition but it felt at times like you were being forced to use it by making you trail from one side of the map to the other. Sure, I understand why they would make the most of the new gameplay mechanic but that felt a little cheap...at least to me anyway.

Thirdly:
Timed story missions. May not be a problem for most but these are one of my pet hates and there are two of them here.

And finally, my main gripe:
The story itself was ludicrous in the extreme which brings up a few issues. It all started alright but when the spiritual/supernatural rubbish crept in I was left rolling my eyes most of the time. Again, maybe it's just me as I'm repulsed by religion and spirituality in general so I don't appreciate it in games but especially here it felt like a total departure from what Dying Light was in the first place. This leads on to the next issue. One of the things I most liked about the game was how human Crane was in how he became an ally of the people of Harran after becoming disillusioned and angry at his employers and how they were forcing him to handle the situation. It was all done so well and his character was quite believable. In the expansion none of that matters. He's still clearly the same guy but in the end that's rendered pointless because the whole time you are being set up to deal with nonsensical spiritual crap and make a final decision that is hugely unsatisfying no matter which choice you make. It really felt like they had run out of ideas at this point. Thankfully it's somewhat redeemed by the side missions. These actually feel quite rewarding as you are doing what you set out to do and helping the people of the countryside and many of these are actually way more interesting than the main story. It got to a point where the actual storyline was more of a distraction for me than something I actually wanted to do as to be honest I lost interest before I was even halfway through.

So, overall it's a decent enough addition and I'd still recommend it purely from a gameplay perspective but it's not something I'll ever return to. It plays brilliantly but it lacks much of what made the main game so appealing to me.

Last edited:
Soldato
So, just completed the expansion and I'm really on the fence. Hard for me to say this as I loved the main game but this was a real mixed bag for me. I'll just list the pros and cons I guess.

Pros:
Gameplay is still solid and the mechanics are spot on as expected, much as they were in the main game.

The addition of the vehicle. Admittedly I was apprehensive about this but they implemented very well. I liked scavenging for fuel and parts to repair, maintain and even upgrade the car. The driver levelling was also nicely done and it felt surprisingly fluid and responsive to drive too.

The change of scenery was nice and the countryside looked pretty stunning in places giving a welcome break from jumping between buildings and forcing you to mix up your playing style a little as there are very few places to hide here.

Cons:
Although the change was nice, the map at times felt a little too big. There was a lot to do but not enough to justify the sheer size of this place. It could have been condensed just a little.

The car may have been a nice addition but it felt at times like you were being forced to use it by making you trail from one side of the map to the other. Sure, I understand why they would make the most of the new gameplay mechanic but that felt a little cheap...at least to me anyway.

i never finished mine, my main gripes with this DLC are :-

1..........far too much driving/ too far to drive
2..........timed missions
3..........Repetative

Back
Top Bottom