Raspberry Pi - $35 Linux computer

Art

Art

Associate
So it's basically a Pi2 with built-in WiFi? Meh... I can see why that's a good thing but sadly it won't really help with anything I'd use it for (I don't think)

Give us a way to add a bank of SATA ports and/or a faster network port and I'd be all over it though!

Yeah, I'm hoping they've done something to improve the speeds the USB ports achieve, the 2B is so slow sometimes. I wasn't expecting USB3, but the 2B doesn't hit anywhere near full USB2 speeds.

It'll be interesting to see what the new CPU does, if it has a base speed of 1.2GHz it could OC a fair way, even if it would need active cooling at that point.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Someone just found the 3 listed in a catalogue (don't really want to link it, because now that OcUK sells Pi stuff I guess they're technically a competitor? Found it via Reddit.)

• Quad core 1.2GHz BCM2837 CPU
  • 1GB RAM
  • BCM43143 Wifi (802.11 b/g/n, 150Mbps, BT isn't mentioned in chip specs but it's in there somewhere?)
  • USB2
  • Same size/shape as the 2B.

The most interesting thing is that the bare board is listed at £26.38(!).

Will risk sneaking this one past the wife as that is handy (wifi) and will contribute to the goal of a mini cluster of pi's one day.. :)

Art

Art

Associate
Will risk sneaking this one past the wife as that is handy (wifi) and will contribute to the goal of a mini cluster of pi's one day.. :)

A Pi cluster is something I've always wanted to do. I've no idea what I would use it for, but that doesn't stop me from wanting to build one. Did you see the Zero Cluster Hat someone built a month or two, which snaps four Zeros onto a 2B?

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
A Pi cluster is something I've always wanted to do. I've no idea what I would use it for, but that doesn't stop me from wanting to build one. Did you see the Zero Cluster Hat someone built a month or two, which snaps four Zeros onto a 2B?

No, but I guess great minds think alike as they say, using them to do something cool and really learn how parallel projects can perform. Do you have a link Art for the zero cluster?

Art

Art

Associate
Could the current Pi run an 8 slot Quake 3 server?

There are loads of guides about setting one up, but I've no idea about the player capacity. Your only option might be to give it a go.

I am disappointed with the lack of zero's manufactured. Either they did not think they would be such a hit or sloppy handling of carrying on the momentum.

I kind of wonder if the Zero production is low because some of the factory capacity has been used to stockpile 3's for release. If they'd been using all spare capacity for the Zero there's no way they'd be able to squeeze production of the three in later.

Soldato
Only bought a new power cable and WiFi dongle for my Pi 2 not long ago and haven't even used it since and then this comes out :o.

Probably just stick to the Pi 2 for now as I can't see the 3 offering much improvement for what I use it for.

Back
Top Bottom