Eyeglass users. Whats your pick?

Associate
With all the VR hype going around Ive started googling which one accomodates eye glasses better.

So far from what Ive read both headsets have movable lenses of some sort

Vive has the knob to adjust lens distance
Rift has a selection of cups

For me im still undecided as the comfort + vision with glasses is going to have a big impact on the VR experience

I really hope some local shops offer demos to try and test fit them.

Associate
Hopefully both allow for glasses as I suspect a good percentage of their target audience wear them!

I'm short-sighted but can read kindle/tablet without glasses no problem. I assumed that I would not need to wear glasses for VR but, after reasearching it, I am getting conflicting answers. Can anyone verify whether glasses are still needed if short sighted?

Associate
Hopefully both allow for glasses as I suspect a good percentage of their target audience wear them!

I'm short-sighted but can read kindle/tablet without glasses no problem. I assumed that I would not need to wear glasses for VR but, after reasearching it, I am getting conflicting answers. Can anyone verify whether glasses are still needed if short sighted?

This is my dilemma too. I've pre-ordered the Vive without trying one (or a Rift) and it has been at the back of my mind how my vision issues will affect things.

I'm moderately short sighted and wear glasses to correct this. Nothing major - I can read small text close up (about 10-12 inches away). Anything more than that then I need my specs on e.g. reading a computer screen.

I've assumed as the screens will be within my short range vision (i.e. a few inches away) then I won't need to wear glasses.

But, I would like to hear people's experience of VR headsets and the lenses they use in relation to focussing vision.

Soldato
I've gone for the option of getting contact lenses lol.

Tried them 13 years ago and didn't get on with them, but this time I've forced myself though the initial stages and I'm fine with them now, so ready for VR without glasses!

Associate
I've gone for the option of getting contact lenses lol.

Tried them 13 years ago and didn't get on with them, but this time I've forced myself though the initial stages and I'm fine with them now, so ready for VR without glasses!

I've worn contacts before and I've been fine with them. So that's a good option.

But are you long-sighted or short-sighted?

Soldato
I've worn contacts before and I've been fine with them. So that's a good option.

But are you long-sighted or short-sighted?

Short, at around -6.5 left and -4 right with quite a strong astigmatism.

And as mentioned above, just because the screens are close, your focal distance isn't, you're going to be focusing on objects rendered in the distance. So if you need glasses to see normally, you'll need them for VR.

Associate
Well, this article sort of explains why you still need to wear glasses:
http://hollybrockwell.com/2015/03/13/glasses-shortsightedness-virtual-reality/

Sort of makes sense.
Won't be the end of the world if I do have to wear them.
Be cool if you coukd get perscription lenses to fit in the headset though.

A good article. Seems like I may have to wear my glasses (which is fine) or use contacts (which is fine too).

The idea that I'm short sighted so won't need vision correction for VR is obviously wrong.

Contacts seems the way to go though...

Soldato
Most people with the Vive Pre say glasses work well with it, the cut out on the face gasket is plenty big enough unless you are Dame Edna Everage :p

At worst you'll just a lose a bit of FOV by having to move the lenses away slightly.

The last prototype Rift though wasn't as good, unfortunately nobody really knows if Oculus have addressed the issue with the consumer version. They say it's better for glasses, but not in what way.

I actually bought a pair of small, frameless specs from on online site for about £14 purely for VR :D

Associate
OP
Whats the chances of lens manufacturer catching on the demand of prescriptions lenses for VR headsets ?

If these VR headsets really become popular hopefully some will catch on. They will prbbly charge an arm and leg for it though lol

Soldato
Feeling somewhat concerned about IPD too at the moment, seeing as I have quite a small measurement of 56.8mm, with the Vive apparently supporting down to 60.8mm. Hoping it's fine in practice or I'll be a broken man lol.

Associate
The main thing reason for me selling both my DK1 and DK2 headsets was because of glasses problems. Glasses did work, but everything quickly became uncomfortable - I'm sure the consumer Rift and vive are better in this regard, but I doubt it will be a good experience, at least for long sessions.

I spent 20 years wearing contact lenses, and the experience in the Rift was so much better without glasses; aside from FOV, the headsets were much more comfortable. However, about 4 years ago I stopped wearing contacts most of the time, due to dry eyes (I'm over 40 now so those tear ducts are drying up!); as much the VR experience was improved, dry eyes and general eye discomfort kicked in within minutes of having my eyes up against the screen.

In short, I wouldn't buy one of the new gen headsets without trying them first, if I still wore glasses. Which I don't, as a year ago I had laser eye surgery (best thing I've ever done)....so I can't wait for VR :)

Soldato
Avoid using glasses if you can as the limited FOV in this gen of HMD is reduced further due to the added distance between your eyes and the lenses as well as the added discomfort. http://vr-lens-lab.com/ are a solution I'm interested in.

That looks like a good solution and I'm interested in that too. I'm betting a pair of prescription lenses and adapters will be around £200 or more and will need changing every two years, depending on our eye tests. Wearing the Gear VR today, my glasses are being pushed hard into my face, making it uncomfortable on the bridge of my nose, and more so when I look upwards. So I have to take frequent breaks. I do hope the Vive and Rift are improved for glasses wearers.

Need spectacle comfort for a comfortable spectacle! :p

edit: Actually, I loosened off the velcro on the side straps and it's a LOT more comfy now.

Last edited:
Associate
Definitely glad I have gone down the contact lens route, not just for this, but in general. Glad VR gave me the push to try them again lol.

What prescription do you use? A normal everyday one that you'd go out into the real world with? Or does in need to be adapted for VR e.g. looking at screens close to your eyes?

I'm tempted to try contacts as well...

Back
Top Bottom