Poll: The EU Referendum: How Will You Vote? (March Poll)

Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the European Union or leave the European Union?

• Remain a member of the European Union

Votes: 400 43.3%
  • Leave the European Union

Votes: 523 56.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

RDM

RDM

Soldato
Congratulations, scorza, you finally managed a legitimate criticism of the EU ;)

EU-wide regulation does have the downside that improvements in local regulation can be stymied and there are real and valid cases where this has happened. Another example would be cycle helmets where the UK downgraded from the stricter British Kitemark standard for cycle helmets to a lower standard agreed at EU level.

Against this, however, you need to consider the wider picture of EU safety regulation: the EU has shown itself to be highly effective in pushing improved environmental and health standards and, because of its larger weight, it is able to drive the adoption of these standards across an industry. Good examples of this would be the improved Euro emissions standards for cars, or the cleanup of British waterways and beaches.

The lack of localism in law making is the largest issue with the EU (if we ignore the CAP of course). Also the further away from where the money is collected the less care is on spending it. Just look at the farce that is having the parliament in Strasbourg and Brussels.

Caporegime
Congratulations, scorza, you finally managed a legitimate criticism of the EU ;)

EU-wide regulation does have the downside that improvements in local regulation can be stymied and there are real and valid cases where this has happened. Another example would be cycle helmets where the UK downgraded from the stricter British Kitemark standard for cycle helmets to a lower standard agreed at EU level.

Against this, however, you need to consider the wider picture of EU safety regulation: the EU has shown itself to be highly effective in pushing improved environmental and health standards and, because of its larger weight, it is able to drive the adoption of these standards across an industry. Good examples of this would be the improved Euro emissions standards for cars, or the cleanup of British waterways and beaches.

Well I can't help thinking that the Euro emissions standards conveniently helped German car-makers who had invested big in diesel, which is a filthy fuel and has led to poor air quality across European cities. With regards to water standards - congrats on finally making a legitimate point in defence of the EU though ;)

Man of Honour
Now it's clear when you can't win, you apologists start calling people names.
You've lost by default ;)

Why are you throwing the word apologist around like that?

Behave please. If you post stats and are asked to provide source then do so. Don't just attack the person that asks you.

Caporegime
Well I can't help thinking that the Euro emissions standards conveniently helped German car-makers who had invested big in diesel, which is a filthy fuel and has led to poor air quality across European cities.

The rise of diesel wasn't down to EU policy but national policy. It's fair to say we messed that one up. EU regulation has helped bring down the particulate and NOx produced by diesel engines though so it has somewhat mitigated the risk.

As for diesel helping German car makers I'm not really sure how you figure that. BMW, for example, lagged a long way behind on diesels and VW is apparently so bad at making them that it cheated on the tests.

Soldato
I would suggest irrespective of the EU the UK would have implemented many of the standards described. The value to us was ensuring other countries did likewise but that didn't need what the EU is, it might have been achieved by what the EEC or EC were. A return to the EEC or EC wasn't on offer so it's out for me.

I would accept and encourage that after an out vote we would work with our European friends on similar future standards, just not in the EU. An out vote is not about international isolation.

Caporegime
I would suggest irrespective of the EU the UK would have implemented many of the standards described.

Perhaps - although I'd argue that our government has generally dragged their feet on such issues - however the UK has much less leverage to impose standards on manufacturers than the EU does - because it's a much smaller market - so, for example, on engine standards for cars we'd probably find many manufacturers would simply offer a smaller range of cars in the UK rather than designing and building their full range to stricter UK standards.

I would accept and encourage that after an out vote we would work with our European friends on similar future standards, just not in the EU. An out vote is not about international isolation.

I'd be surprised if we didn't come to some kind of arrangement post-Brexit; the problem is that we really can't be sure what that arrangement would look like.

Soldato
Why are you throwing the word apologist around like that?

Behave please. If you post stats and are asked to provide source then do so. Don't just attack the person that asks you.

Did you not read the links? shakes head......

Calling someone a apologist is not an attack it's a fact.
"noun: apologist; plural noun: apologists
a person who offers an argument in defence of something controversial"

Waiting for your come back Gilly.

Associate
If the UK leaves EU who will be following Please list and why

If the UK leaves EU who will be following. Please list and why. Oh, and remember the French don't like paying in more than they get out! Then of course the finacial wobblies Portugal Spain Italy and the basket case Greece. Last week Switzerland withdrew its application to join the EU - not much mention of that in the press now was there!!!

Don't forget the EU budget will balloon - catering for all of Mad Merkels guests them as what she wants to palm off to other members. Now the Slovak Republic, Hungry Bulgaria and Poland aint for takin any (Industrial metal fencing manufacturers are doing well in the Balkans) - Finland is getting restive. Austria is getting restrictive and the writing is on the political wall. Where is the UK's bung being made up from? How long will it be before there is a backlash in Germany. In Germany its all talk of integration but with what jobs 90% odd have no skills. They must have necessity stay in cramped hostel style accommodation. Places with lots of work Hamburg have a need for affordable accommodation for its own people- postmen industrial workers et al.
If only it had been known that Mad Merkel had surplus 10's of billions our pot holes could have been filled by the local dentists - with gold fillings
Just seen: SCHOOLS and canteens in Germany have BANNED pork from their menus Well can't see that going down in my state or many other states- but bring it on Mad Merkel

Last edited:
Soldato
I would hazard a guess at Greece, Portugal and then Spain. Greece because they are in an even bigger crisis now than they were before the last bailout. Portugal and Spain because they are following the same route as Greece and will end up at the same destination.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom