The "New Gear/Willy Waving" thread

Associate
I have been in the market for a small travel camera. I love my 5D MKIII to death, but it is on the large size and damn heavey carrying around for a day.

So I picked this up recently, and love it.

I did get it for a bargin price, and brand new.

Associate
Canon 650D, tamron 17-50 F2.8 non VC. I want to get the Canon 40mm pancake lens and Canon 55-250 STM.

I still have my old Canon 350D, still not sure whether to sell it and rake in whatever little its worse, or just keep it as a back up

Caporegime
Finally bit the bullet and bought a 70-200 f2.8 is mkii

The sigma 120-300mm f2.8 os will be going after I compare them both.

Still got a 35-70mm gap but I never use that range anyway

Last edited:
Associate
Finally bit the bullet and bought a 70-200 f2.8 is mkii

The sigma 120-300mm f2.8 os will be going after I compare them both.

Still got a 35-70mm gap but I never use that range anyway

Bit the bullet is right! I bought one 3 years ago, my favourite lens for so many reasons.

Not cheap at all, but love it. (I paid £1800....)

Caporegime
Bit the bullet is right! I bought one 3 years ago, my favourite lens for so many reasons.

Not cheap at all, but love it. (I paid £1800....)

It's literally just arrived and I've had a play. It's a cut above the sigma. 120-300mm f2.8. Stabilisation is top notch and looks pretty damn sharp even at 2.8 and 200.mm

It weighs nothing too.
I don't even need to compare to my sigma I just popped off a pic in the kitchen of a flower and it's pretty pristine.

Very pleased

Soldato
Really have a lusting for the X-Pro2...miss my Pro 1...not sure i want that depreciation again though. Will wait for some deals again like i did with the Pro1...

Associate
It weighs nothing too.

I wouldn't quite go that far! How much did the Sigma weigh? Having said that though, I don't find the weight overly prohibitive, I've skied and trekked through rain forest with mine and it was no real issue.

I've been without having mine for nearly a year and it arrived back on Monday, I feel like I've bought a new lens. I forgot just how good the build quality is and how solid it feels.

Caporegime
I wouldn't quite go that far! How much did the Sigma weigh? Having said that though, I don't find the weight overly prohibitive, I've skied and trekked through rain forest with mine and it was no real issue.

I've been without having mine for nearly a year and it arrived back on Monday, I feel like I've bought a new lens. I forgot just how good the build quality is and how solid it feels.

The sigma is over 3kg!

I'm fairly strong myself and it wasn't so much the weight of the sigma but that I get very warm carrying it around. So on a summer day I basically get sweaty! Not nice when you're with company!

Associate
6LeIMH.jpg

Yum

Caporegime
Bought a bag to hold my stuff.

DSC_0136_zpsyczk8thn.jpg~original

It was around £60 as Amazon Prime members get like 5% off stuff sent/fulfilled via Amazon.

DSC_0143_zpsymvkopvj.jpg~original

No intention to fill all these holes, but nice to have the space.

DSC_0144_zpsgdbrqra5.jpg~original

Dividers are soft and movable via velcro.

Also bought a new lens,

DSC_0147_zpswvbdy1ux.jpg~original

DSC_0149_zpsr5psfx9w.jpg~original

So thats 18-55mm kit lens, 35mm 1.8G, 40mm 2.8G, and 50mm 1.8G that i have, fancy one zoom lens (70-300mm VR) and I think that will do.

Caporegime
Do you really need the 35 40 and 50?, all very closely packed? I know 40 is a macro lens but personally I would have gone with the 85 DX micronikkor to get more working distance. but of course it is all use-case related. the 40mm works better for still life, the 85mm would work better for insects.

As for me, I just ordered the Sigma 150-600mm sports:
http://www.sigmaphoto.com/150-600mm-f5-63-dg-os-hsm-s

There was a $200 discount running out yesterday a= plus the US dock thrown in. Will put it through its paces. While I wait for it to arrive I'm going to hit the gym in training.

Caporegime
Do you really need the 35 40 and 50?, all very closely packed? I know 40 is a macro lens but personally I would have gone with the 85 DX micronikkor to get more working distance. but of course it is all use-case related. the 40mm works better for still life, the 85mm would work better for insects.

As for me, I just ordered the Sigma 150-600mm sports:
http://www.sigmaphoto.com/150-600mm-f5-63-dg-os-hsm-s

There was a $200 discount running out yesterday a= plus the US dock thrown in. Will put it through its paces. While I wait for it to arrive I'm going to hit the gym in training.

The 50mm while a craking lens is a bit to telephoto for what I need, the 35mm is a better distance for my usage and I bought it after getting the 50mm after realizing.

The 40mm is just for those real close ups.

The kit lens is obviously junk that I wont touch again.

Stulid that looks really good, do you think it'd hold two bodies and a 70-200 as well as a few other bits and pieces?

Easily.

Its rather big.

Caporegime
B

DSC_0143_zpsymvkopvj.jpg~original

No intention to fill all these holes, but nice to have the space.

DSC_0144_zpsgdbrqra5.jpg~original

Dividers are soft and movable via velcro.

Trust me, from experience, you will fill those holes....and it will get so heavy that the bag will bend from the weight. Personally I don't see that bag is suitable to be filled with glass, so as long as you don't, it is fine. By that point, you will want wheels because it just get too heavy to be lifted. For something with that much value inside, it's a job for a Pelican case. They are worth it, mine has been thrown and abused by airport bag handlers, and everything survived. The impact from their drop was so big both latches were open and only held together by my locks.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom