London train ticket

Soldato
Hi all,

Need to travel to London next week, I know when I'll be going out but need an open return. Just looked at Train Line site and they have something called a 'super off-peak' return, tried phoning to get more details but was passed to 3 people who did not speak English and I struggled to understand.

Anyone used this before and know the details of times of trains i'm allowed to return on and if i need to 'check in/register' for the return?

Thanks,

Soldato
Are you sure you're not allocated a train on which you have to travel for those cheapest ones?

If not, there are listings for what trains qualify, but it used to be extremely hard to find, especially considering the different train operators. Spend some not inconsderable amount of time with your search engine of choice, and you may find the necessary information. Then print it off, just in case the train guard/ticket person has conflicting information.

Associate
It does depend on what company you are looking to use for travel, to be honest. They all have different restrictions on what is and isn't allowed. It's generally a time restriction on outside of peak times (so not scheduled to arrive to London before 11am and between 3-6pm or the likes, but as said every train company is different.

Associate
Anyone used this before and know the details of times of trains i'm allowed to return on and if i need to 'check in/register' for the return?

that doesn't actually answer his question

Off-Peak and Super Off-Peak tickets may require you to travel at specific times of day, days of the week or on a specific route.

Website journey planners can tell you when your ticket can be used – simply enter your outward and return journey times to see the trains you can travel on

I'd say that is the answer to his question :confused:

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Off-Peak and Super Off-Peak tickets may require you to travel at specific times of day, days of the week or on a specific route.

Website journey planners can tell you when your ticket can be used – simply enter your outward and return journey times to see the trains you can travel on

No it doesn't he's well aware there will be restrictions on time, he's trying to find out what the times are.

Caporegime

you might as well have told him that google could help

you didn't answer the question and your link didn't provide the information either, he knows he's got restricted times, linking to a webpage telling him what he already knows is a waste of time - it is the actual times he's interested in

Soldato
Hi all,

Need to travel to London next week, I know when I'll be going out but need an open return. Just looked at Train Line site and they have something called a 'super off-peak' return, tried phoning to get more details but was passed to 3 people who did not speak English and I struggled to understand.

Thanks,

Another point is to try another website (South West Trains for example) and see if you can book a similar ticket, but with exact trains you have to take given on the ticket. It reduces your flexibility, but may make life easier if you don't need the flexibility.

Soldato
If you go on National Rail, enter the time you want to leave and roughly when you want to return.

2e1golc.png

You see "Other services I can travel on" click on that and it will tell you what train your ticket is valid on.

Associate
To find out what times are super off peak or whatever, I just go to thetrainline and play with the times...it tells you what type of ticket you are buying

BTW, don't actually use thetrainline to buy the tickets - you'll be limited to a specific train - buy them at the station. This way you can use any super off-peak train or whatever, rather than be limited to a specific one

Man of Honour
Hi all,

Thanks,

First thing - never look on 'thetrainline' ever again. Same tickets as everyone else, but they charge a booking fee.

Moving swiftly on, a Super Offpeak Return is an Open Return - you can return on any day within 1 calendar month, subject to the Super Offpeak Restrictions. As you are going to London I think the return journey super offpeak restrictions are that you cannot travel on a train leaving London on a weekday between 3pm and 7pm. There is a more expensive offpeak return which is a bit more generous and a significantly more expensive Anytime Return which lets you use any train you want.

All three of these tickets - Super Off Peak, Off Peak and AnyTime Return, are valid for return on the day of your choice within a calendar month.

If you post where you are travelling from then it's fairly easy to look up the exact restrictions without spending an hour fiddling with the National rail site and noting down specific trains. I've guessed at Bristol, but the restrictions are largely the same for whichever GW destination you have:

Not valid on trains timed to
depart;

London Paddington after 04:29
and before 10:10 and after
15:01 and before 19:01,
except on the 15:06 Penzance
service with tickets to/from
Pewsey only;

Last edited:
Man of Honour
BTW, don't actually use thetrainline to buy the tickets - you'll be limited to a specific train - buy them at the station. This way you can use any super off-peak train or whatever, rather than be limited to a specific one

This is not true - whilst I agree never use TheTrainLine, a Super Offpeak Ticket is valid on any train which meets the restriction regardless of whether you book online, offline or have a seat reservation.

The only tickets whereby you MUST use the Booked Train Only are Advance ticket types (tickets called 'Advance' rather than just purchased in advance).

Soldato

Such a wind up. Just useless rubbish to screw you over. Why don't they just tell you the bloody times!

Associate
As said above, the National Rail site should show the times of the services and the cheapest ticket for that particular service. Just check which ones have a super off-peak option, as it *shouldn't* offer it for that service if it isn't valid. (You might have to expand the 'off-peak' bit under 'other tickets' to view super off-peak, it doesn't seem to get it's own category).

Around here (Golden Valley Line), super off-peak is usually late-morning to mid-afternoon, later at night or weekends.

Associate
Weird that the XC code shows super off-peak being valid after 0930 from my station, yet the National Rail /GWR sites don't offer it on the 0952, only the 1113 onwards. Helpful.

Back
Top Bottom