Canada - Job searching

Soldato
Sup all,

I might have an opportunity to work out in Canada for a bit. Specifically Victoria BC.

However, I can't seem to find any decent sites for IT jobs. Specifically 2nd/3rd line IT work.

Anyone know any sites that are good?

Caporegime
I presume you've looked at indeed.ca?

Canada seems to be a lot less about recruitment sites for jobs and much more about personal contact so it may be you will need to physically phone people and talk to them, rather than browse job hunting websites for the best ones.

The other potential is LinkedIn. Search people in IT on there and that could give you some good leads. It also has a jobs section. There are also local groups on there that you may be able to join and ask for tips as well.

Possibly telling you how to such eggs but you may not know about the above. :)

Associate
I presume you've looked at indeed.ca?

Canada seems to be a lot less about recruitment sites for jobs and much more about personal contact so it may be you will need to physically phone people and talk to them, rather than browse job hunting websites for the best ones.

Possibly telling you how to such eggs but you may not know about the above. :)

This is very true, I meant to add a similar comment last night when I got home. It really is very much a "who you know" sort of place in a lot of respects.

OP, is there a reason you are looking at the island? You could be limiting yourself a fair bit as it is a very small community in comparison to the mainland. I just spoke to one of my colleagues in the office and you pretty much only have Victoria and Nanaimo for IT work over there. You may find that looking in Vancouver or one of the other major cities would be a better option to start with and then moving to the island later.

Soldato
OP
Thanks all for the replies, sorry I didn't respond sooner.

In short, my partner might be transferred over there (her company is Canadian), and I'd like to tag along.

I should be eligible for the fast track visa (only using the simple web calcs, so just using them as a guideline) which is good I guess.

I'll check out linked in. Thanks

Caporegime
Not sure if it will be relevant for you but Canadian immigration recognizes common law relationships (living together like husband and wife for at least a year). I only know it from a sposal visa point of view but it may be relevant for the spouse of someone being transferred over there as well.

Associate
Not sure if it will be relevant for you but Canadian immigration recognizes common law relationships (living together like husband and wife for at least a year). I only know it from a sposal visa point of view but it may be relevant for the spouse of someone being transferred over there as well.

This is very true, but i believe it only applies if you are applying under the spousal rules. It sounds to me like OP is just wanting to tag along with his partner who is British and just getting a job with her company out here. That in itself has its' own issues and may not help the OP getting a visa themselves

Spousal / Common law is for when one of you is actually a Canadian citizen. Common law is a little harder as you have to have much stronger proof of relationship too. All possible though.

As has been said OP, get yourself over the Expats forum. They were extremely helpful over there when I was doing my spousal visa.

Back
Top Bottom