Porsche Owners Thread - If you own one or just like or hate them! :)

Soldato
I don't think the 4 is worth the extra 15k on top of the 2. I'm all about the spec as it really makes or brakes a 911.

I should think the 4 will be harder to move on as the market for people that want them is smaller.

65k C2s PDK is the sweet sport for me.

There are a few cars out there with the power kit but not many. I agree the 997 is way too dates.

Soldato
I will ask if I can bring guests. The last time they allows 3 guests.

I still have not had time to do them but I am now owed 8 full days in total (maybe 7) so I will start taking them in the summer.

Associate
I don't think the 4 is worth the extra 15k on top of the 2. I'm all about the spec as it really makes or brakes a 911.

I should think the 4 will be harder to move on as the market for people that want them is smaller.

65k C2s PDK is the sweet sport for me.

There are a few cars out there with the power kit but not many. I agree the 997 is way too dates.

I'd agree although I have a pre-requisite mandate from my wife that it must be 4WD. To be fair, in this country, with our roads and weather, it makes total sense.

In terms of options, I look for sport chrono, sports exhaust, shift paddles (rather than steering wheel buttons), PCM/bluetooth, 14-way seats as a minimum. Other stuff desirable.

Soldato
Pick me, pick me!

Hehe I did offer to take a couple of people from OCUK on the last one a few weeks ago but no one had time. This one I don't think I can bring more than one friend but I will find out.

I'd agree although I have a pre-requisite mandate from my wife that it must be 4WD. To be fair, in this country, with our roads and weather, it makes total sense.

In terms of options, I look for sport chrono, sports exhaust, shift paddles (rather than steering wheel buttons), PCM/bluetooth, 14-way seats as a minimum. Other stuff desirable.

That's more or less my minimum requirement along with full leather and Bose.

I have done a half day there and it was excellent. I'd recommend it to anyone.

How long did you get in the car?

I'm planning on doing GT4 day, a Panamera day and a 911 day.

Associate
How long did you get in the car?

I'm planning on doing GT4 day, a Panamera day and a 911 day.

My father and I shared the session but I think we got a combined 2 1/2 hours in the car. This included the skid pan, kick plate and emergency braking lane changing (using launch control to 70mph and then emergency braking in the space of about 150m in a 2.7 cayman is quite buttock clenching). They also went over some of the driver fitness stuff as well is a small seminar.

When out in the car instructor also asked if there was anything I specifically wanted to learn. I really wanted to learn heal toe down-shifting but as we had a PDK car we couldn't do that. Instead we went over racing line in accordance with road camber/changes in elevation and techniques to plan for entering and exiting different types of corner. It was very informative and I could tell that the smoothness of my driving when "making progress" had really improved.

Also, as a side note, the food that they do at lunchtime is fantastic as well :p

RSR

RSR

Soldato
I'm booking up the days training shortly, I think its August its shceduled for. This includes Silverstone GP circuit track time.

Sam

Sam

Soldato
Does anyone know how easy it is to retrofit some sort of bluetooth phone system into a 05 997 C2S? At the moment it has hands free but you have to insert a sim card ...

Thanks

Man of Honour
Finally had chance to clean the Cayman and take some more pictures yesterday. May have been on the wrong aperture setting on the camera, but reasonably shiny anyway - need another weekend to really get claybar/polish properly on it:

IMG_1573_zpsshpvjmek.jpg

IMG_1580_zpsnzzyzvux.jpg

IMG_1586_zpsxzw4ljpe.jpg

IMG_1583_zpsbyu7ewty.jpg

IMG_1589_zpsph2fsmg7.jpg

Man of Honour
I just have no idea what to do...

So last Sunday I found the perfect spec, mileage, colour, priced 991 GTS. Got excited (that means left eyebrow raised a little) and spoke to the wife to start the internal selling process..

Spoke to OPC on Monday, got some prices which subject to negotiation are very very doable so all good. Got chatting and as usual I knew quite a few of their customers and one of them is local to the dealer, which is a good 200 miles from me. I call him and of course get the "No problem Housey, know them well I'll head over now and drive it for you, I can see their place from my office." Perfect, trusted once over from a mate save me the job.

Then it goes wrong.... Mate is like me, he was one of the buddies I went racing with and was part of our team. He is a GT3 nut, currently has a 991, had a Mk1 996 with Manthey engine, has a 991 RS coming, so he did what I would do...Turns up at dealer, has some coffee and a chat about the world and life and then goes for a drive. As he pulls back in he sees the GT4 and thinks "I need a go in that" and off he goes for another blast. Later in the day I get the call....

"Housey the GTS is lovely, looks fab, lovely inside, 5 dials dash, quick, gorgeous.......but **** me that GT4, what a car. Steering from the gods"......"So which one would you have mate?"......"Oh easy he says.........GT4". Ahhhhhhh

So now I start the well if I am having a GTS, why not pay a bit more and have a GT3....you know it's worth it. Numbers tell a different story and frankly I don't want to spend that much so I have discounted the 991 GT3 as a 'future' for when they drop in price, which they will when the R and Gen 2 arrive, feel positive. So then I start the GT4 discussion AGAIN. Now these are circa 25-30K overs from OPC's and frankly I have never paid overs for a car and personally I just struggle with concept, but I am coming around to it if I can haggle. But what all this has done has taken my interest off the GTS again an I am sitting here wonder WTF to do.

I want a car that makes me get up at 4am on a Sunday and just go, Wales, Scotland, Italy wherever. I am not sure the GTS will do that, I am not convinced the GT4 will do that so I am now in the hold pattern AGAIN. I am not going to buy 'some car' it needs to be right. I did look at the nice GT3 Gen 2 in JZM but that has horrid red transmission tunnel and I know these 65K were 18 months ago and fear they will be again soon. Bath time will come on these cars, 100% and the lack of call back from JZM has also put me off.

First world problems but I have NEVER been this indecisive in my life. Mojo is wrecked and think I shall crawl into a ball and suck my thumb for the rest of the month. I have taken counseling from loads of mates over the week but they are ******* useless as they are either the same or completely opposite to one another.

Going to wait again.....but I NEED power and excitement back in my life. I don't want to go 996 again, I don't really want to go 997 Gen 1 so just need to wait until the 997's/991's start hemorrhaging cash.

Last edited:
OcUK Staff
OP
Housey

Just buy a friggin car man! Do it whilst you can, if you keep waiting for the next possible car to come along you will be waiting for ever, I think you have being thinking this decision over now for like 2-3 years.

It is time to act man and I don't think a 991 GTS will be boring, you want to enjoy your car on the road, the GTS is the best road car. GT4/GT3 do have more edge and are sharper tools but also have far less grip on a UK cold damp/wet road.

End of the day you owned a track setup GT3, if that is what you long for again, get the GT4 or GT3 purchased, just go and DO IT, DO IT NOW. If however at times that car annoyed you, too firm, to hardcore for road, then buy a GTS.

But please go and buy something. :D

Back
Top Bottom