Plusnet Discussion Thread

Caporegime
Last edited:
Soldato
Hi all,

I had 80/20 ratio grade FTTC circuit provided by my old place of work, however they are moving everything over to a service I dont want to use, and expensive

We already have a landline at home, I just need to lay a FTTC service on to it, I am not looking to swap PSTN line provider

Can anyone give me the heads up for a good cheap FTTC provider (Can be around £25p/m mark, lower if its available)

Must be reliable service, good customer service, comes with static IP.

Plusnet? Can see they are doing an 80/20 ratio service for £22.49, I can stick with the current PSTN line provider?

Soldato
For cheap with a static IP Plusnet are the obvious choice. I've found their customer service to be okay for what they're charging.

You'd save a bit by swapping the line over to them, but you don't need to. I'm still using a BT line with mine.

The cashback that's available at the moment isn't very generous. If you could wait for a while it'll probably improve.

Soldato
To be honest aslong as I am price matching what I am currently paying for 80/20 ratio which is £25 inclusive of VAT I am happy, any saving will be a bonus

I had in my mind of Plusnet being the choice should this happen so looks like this will be the choice.

Soldato
Been with Plusnet for over a year on there 80/20 and can safely say i have had an average of 75mb down and around 18mb up all the time. Got a static IP off them as well for a one off £5 which i think is great! No need for any DDNS for connecting back home

Soldato
only thing thats putting me off is a £50 activation fee, would rather not pay that if I can help it.

If I can get the owner of the line to switch to plusnet, then maybe we can get around that, but im trying to find out how much they are paying for the line rental at the moment and how much it would be on plus net

Associate
I'm coming to the end of my 18th month 80/20 FTTC contract and I was wondering what people have been offered by PlusNet to keep them?

I really wish they had not changed to 40/2 (from the 40/20 or 40/10) service, as I'd've jumped on either of those.

What have people been offered by retentions to stay on the 80/20 service?

Soldato
Migrated from my old work 80/20 fibre over to plusnet 40/10 today, its only gone live today, speeds before on old connection where getting around 68-70mbps down and around 18mbps up

On plusnet so far I have only managed to obtain

25-26mbps down and 1.81mbps up,

some speed tests are coming back lower than 20mbps, this line used

Usual line stabilization period? I didn't think this was usually too much of an issue with FTTC. The old circuit we had was fairly quick at the line settling down after provisioning

Last edited:
Soldato
40/2? I spoke to them on the phone and they said it should be the same ratio upload as I was on before.

You sure you have that right 40/2 and not 40/20?

Thats seriously bad for me where was this labelled on their website?

When did they change this?? Its going to have a massive impact on a server I have at home

Back
Top Bottom